Gray Back Peak Trail

Gray Back Peak Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,003 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very dog friendly. Tons of ladybugs at the summit! We only saw 3 parties the whole time.

It was a nice light/moderate hike. Plenty of shade and plenty of views. There are no signs or markers for the trail but it is so warn with drainage that it's easy to follow. Also, not busy.

I have no idea if I even started at the right spot. There is no signage and after a while the trail disappeared. I took a risk continuing to the top without a clear path, but I would have been deeply disappointed if I had to turn around where the trail disappeared. Most of the trail is nicely shaded and the view up top is nice, but until the trail is marked more thoroughly, this one is worth missing. Also heads up: the drive to the trail is rocky. Bring your workhorse vehicle.

The turn off is tough to see. Look for the sign The Ranch at Emerald Mountain, then it's a short drive to a small pull off and no signage. The steep start and some biting flies will get your attention at the outset. Further up there is a lot of undergrowth and it felt like Minnesota for a short spell. Not many people about so dogs loved it though there is no water on the trail. At the summit, there were literally hundreds, and probably thousands, of lady bugs on the rocks. I don't know enough to say if they are always there but it was impressive today.

Really enjoyed this trail. Moderate is a fair rating as there is a nice mix of flat/moderately steep sections. But, beware of the bugs! A ton of horse flies (I think) near the trail head. It gets better as you get into the trail but it’s still a bit of a bother even when you’re moving. Beautiful views throughout the hike as well as at the top. Another plus is that you will not see a lot of people. We went late morning on a Saturday (7/20) and saw maybe 10 other people the entire time. Why does it not attract more people? Because the 20-minute + drive from the main road to the trailhead is a bit rough. Rocky, bumpy, and you will rarely be traveling more than 20-25 mph. But it’s doable in any car - we had zero issue getting through it in our Jetta.

Great place. I arrived at 11:15 on a Saturday morning and no one else was there until around 1:13. My dogs LOVED it. The turnaround point is a fantastic place for a picnic.

This was a great family hike. Took a couple hours and the Garmin said it was 3.5 miles round trip. Beautiful vistas all along the way, lots of cool drift wood and rocks and some beautiful flowers too.

Smooth and well maintained trail. Beautiful overview throughout the complete trail. Very rewarding. Short distance to the summit and is perfect for a two hours work out. Only two other sets of hikers at father's day afternoon. Highly recommended for dog's lovers

Had a lot of difficulty locating the trail head, hiked a different route

Not marked, but nice, easy to follow trail. No snow, no mud. More little bugs than expected. Very lightly trafficked, only a small handful of people on a warm Sunday afternoon. Was nice to get away from the overcrowded more popular trails. Drive up can be a little sketch, very steep and lots of gravel. Would definitely recommend AWD.

Took this trail for a hike on Saturday morning. Not many markings but very easy to follow. Very low traffic on the trail. The drive there is rugged and dirt road with a little bit of traffic so take it slow and enjoy the view.

Trail is super washed out and covered in snow drifts. would not recommend for another 6 weeks. views are nice, but nothing spectacular

We went out to do this trail today, and got out about 3/4 of a mile before we had to turn back because snow was so high that it was hard to tell where the trail went. Even though we definitely did not make it all the way up, I'm gonna give it 4 stars for the gorgeous views and since it was just so peaceful up there! I did end up thigh deep in some snow in one spot though, which maybe wasn't so peaceful, haha! Right now, I really don't think I'd suggest anyone go up there, but if you end up there be very careful and mindful of the slush and ice as well. It is especially slippery coming down.

Hiked the trail late March and has a lot of snow on the trail which made it hard to follow. Recommend mini-spikes or hiking poles. Beautiful area and didn't see anyone on a Saturday afternoon. Limited areas to park off the road. Trail had some tree cover, sunscreen recommended. AllTrails does not have a way to communicate with other outdoor enthusiast, I can be reached on Facebook Messenger if you have any questions about this trail.

Nice views, not much traffic. You can see all the way down to Pueblo resivior from the top. Quite a bit of walking thru snow this time of year.

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Great trail in my opinion. It’s not smooth or well marked but if you pay attention, the trail is easy to follow. This trail definitely gets your heart rate up. Beautiful views. My GPS recorded 3.8 miles.

Wednesday, September 05, 2018

This is a great rolling trail. Hard to get to and few folks out hiking. More horses than hikers. Has some nice uphill sections but is an easy hike, one of my favorites in town.

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Breath-taking views at several points along the way. Was a bit of a steep scramble at the end but worth it. The overwhelming quiet was what struck me the most.

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Pretty hike with very good views from the top (particularly given the short length of the trail), appropriately rated as moderate. My GPS tracked closer to 4 miles though.

Monday, August 06, 2018

I enjoyed this hike a lot, but I went with several kids who were 13 or younger who really struggled. This trail is fairly straight up and getting to the top isn’t the most rewarding of peaks/views. However, what I did love it about it were the trees, that my dog could be off leash, and that it wasn’t so crowded as many of the trails are. I would definitely do it again, but probably not with kids given it was so steep.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Great hike. We made it within around 50 steps of the summit and heard what sounded like loud growls nearby...never saw anything but it was apparent there was something within the vicinity. Just a word of caution, especially to those hiking this trail alone.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Loved it! A nice hike with ups and downs - not just up and then down. Beautiful cliff/peaks/aspen forest views. Only saw 2 people entire trip.

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Amazing views! I will do this trail again!

Friday, June 01, 2018

A great hike. It's balanced----not one of those that is all uphill on the way in and all downhill on the way out. The ups and downs are physically and mentally great. Most of the hike is on a ridge so nice views on both sides. The trailhead is on the left hand side of the Forest Service road---NOT on the right hand side like my GPS was telling me. There is a sign marking a horse trail on the right hand side of a mini-parking area. This is where the trail begins.

Monday, March 26, 2018

Perfect hike with great views. Uncrowded, met two couples in the first thirty minutes, then the mountain was mine. There is only one trail, so no chance of getting lost. My only regret, washing the car yesterday. Old Stage Road turns to well maintained dirt for the final nine miles. Beautiful area.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

love it

Saturday, January 13, 2018

awesome trail last part is a real ass kicker.