Gray Back Peak Trail

Gray Back Peak Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Great trail in my opinion. It’s not smooth or well marked but if you pay attention, the trail is easy to follow. This trail definitely gets your heart rate up. Beautiful views. My GPS recorded 3.8 miles.

This is a great rolling trail. Hard to get to and few folks out hiking. More horses than hikers. Has some nice uphill sections but is an easy hike, one of my favorites in town.

Breath-taking views at several points along the way. Was a bit of a steep scramble at the end but worth it. The overwhelming quiet was what struck me the most.

Pretty hike with very good views from the top (particularly given the short length of the trail), appropriately rated as moderate. My GPS tracked closer to 4 miles though.

I enjoyed this hike a lot, but I went with several kids who were 13 or younger who really struggled. This trail is fairly straight up and getting to the top isn’t the most rewarding of peaks/views. However, what I did love it about it were the trees, that my dog could be off leash, and that it wasn’t so crowded as many of the trails are. I would definitely do it again, but probably not with kids given it was so steep.

Great hike. We made it within around 50 steps of the summit and heard what sounded like loud growls nearby...never saw anything but it was apparent there was something within the vicinity. Just a word of caution, especially to those hiking this trail alone.

Loved it! A nice hike with ups and downs - not just up and then down. Beautiful cliff/peaks/aspen forest views. Only saw 2 people entire trip.

Amazing views! I will do this trail again!

A great hike. It's balanced----not one of those that is all uphill on the way in and all downhill on the way out. The ups and downs are physically and mentally great. Most of the hike is on a ridge so nice views on both sides.

The trailhead is on the left hand side of the Forest Service road---NOT on the right hand side like my GPS was telling me. There is a sign marking a horse trail on the right hand side of a mini-parking area. This is where the trail begins.

Perfect hike with great views. Uncrowded, met two couples in the first thirty minutes, then the mountain was mine. There is only one trail, so no chance of getting lost. My only regret, washing the car yesterday. Old Stage Road turns to well maintained dirt for the final nine miles. Beautiful area.

love it

awesome trail last part is a real ass kicker.

Loved this trail. Great hike with my 4 and 3 year old.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

I've written a blog post about this hike @ www.break-trail.com
If you'd like to read it, follow this link: https://goo.gl/FoTL62

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Great trail with spectacular views throughout. The TH is not marked and a few breakaway trails made it confusing. Great hike!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Trail is not marked well... or at all. I got lost a couple of times due to this.

Other than that, it is a beautiful trail. No streams for dogs to play in. It was snowy the day I went and some of the trail was very slippery and a bit dangerous, but that is part of hiking in snow. The inclines weren't​ too bad and the view was stunning. Overall a good trail, excited to try it again when the snow is gone.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Fun hike with a good little climb to it!!

Thursday, May 11, 2017

What a pleasant surprise! Gem is right

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Great hike! There's very little snow right now and not too many people either (we saw 2 other hikers). Beautiful views! The drive up the mountain is fun too!

Monday, May 01, 2017

great hike, nice and steady incline. no one else was there so it was awesome. really beautiful views into the PP Forest.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Beautiful hike all the way through. Trailhead is to the left of the horse trail sign on Forest Service Rd. 371, but isn't very clearly marked otherwise. The first half is uphill most of the way to the turnaround point. This is my new favorite spot close to Colorado Springs.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Good Trail to be out away from the world.
Bring Bug Spray.