Gray Back Peak Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(195)
Pike National Forest

Gray Back Peak Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,066 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Liked this trail because it wasn’t near as traveled as other hikes in the Springs. Nice payoff at the top. We parked at the first lot to the left, not where this app takes you to the next lot on the right. The trail starts from the lot we parked at, going up towards the left, not the one that goes down to the right. Enjoy!

Great secluded trail! Old Stage road is very bumpy and dusty but great views and doable in all cars. Easier with suvs and trucks but we saw plenty of sedans making the drive. Hiking trail is very easy to follow and goes along a ridge line so you get great views the entire way. Quite a bit of elevation going out and then downhill just about the whole way back. Saw lots of people and families on a Saturday morning.

Fantastic! Take a hammock you’ll enjoy it at the top! Great views. Well worth driving up the gravel road!

One of my favorite hikes.

Really gorgeous hike! My fiancé and I hammocked & read at the top of Grays Back Peak. Highly recommend bringing your lunch up and taking in the views! Round trip is 3.5 miles in just under 1 hour 30. If you don’t have an SUV, this trail is still accessible in our Ford Fusion car. Happy hiking

Beautiful hike and worth the time. Moderately steep in some areas but overall pretty easy hike with plenty of shade.

This trail is highly recommended for a more remote feeling hike. The whole trail offers brilliant views. AllTrails pitches this as a 3.3 mile hike, but it’s actually 4.2 miles.

Great trail with great views! The AllTrails trail is not correct and you’ll get multiple off trail notification but ignore, the trail you think is right is right. Easy trail with spectacular views most of the way. Not super heavily trafficked.

Awesome trail easy short hike/walk. Trail is easy to follow. It goes along a wide ridge with nice views on either side. at time of writing there is zero ice or slick patches. You've got to go up old stage road to get there, I have a low clearance family sedan and I have no problem going up most seasons. If you're familiar with Colorado mountain roads you'll know this is one of the nicest and most forgiving out there! Enjoy your hike!

Nice trail, had to turn back about half way due to my kiddo getting tired. Docked a star because no one mentioned the road getting up to the trail. HOLY COW! Be prepared. Breakneck curves, car and a half width road, so many pot holes and large rocks stuck in the road. Just be careful, take it slow. We saw two vehicles broken down on the way up.

I love this trail. It’s a great evening hike and the view at the top is so nice. One I recommend a lot! Will say that the trail head is not clearly marked though. There is a sign that says “horse trail” or something of the sort posted on a tree but that’s it.

One of the best trails I’ve been on in a long time. Quiet and great views what more could you want

Great trail! We went on Saturday, April 17 midday and crossed paths with 4 other couples/families. It was the perfect 4 miler that didn’t wear us out too much and didn’t take up the whole day. Our dogs enjoyed being off-leash, and others who brought dogs were very respectful as we all leashed up our pups when passing by others. ***when you come down the road, the trail was on the left side—the same side as the parking area. It wasn’t clearly marked at the start.

our first official hike of the summer! it was great! a little bit of a tough hike for toddlers or if you're carrying your toddler on your back like I was. But the view at the summit was absolutely worth it

icy

Great short hike with a couple spurts of elevation. Road to the trailhead is a little rough the last quarter mile before the th, but doable with any car as long as you go slow. Not much room for parking, maybe only space for 3 cars max if you want to pull up right next to the th. Watch out as their is a fallen power line nearby. Trail is in good condition. About 1.75mi in there was a fallen tree that you have to climb over. Last quarter of a mile is a little icy still. Total mileage was 3.8mi. Awesome views!!

icy

hiked on 3/31/20 - great short hike with patches of mud, ice, snow, and great views. round trip took roughly 1.5 hours but we were very steady with pace and didnt stop much. Round trip 6.2 miles according to GPS. Only saw 2 other humans and 2 other dogs on trail. Great short hike.

Hiked this on 3/29/2020 and used spikes which were super helpful but probably not absolutely necessary. Mostly dirt but lots of sections of ice/snow and some of them steep, we were happy to be spiked up. It’s a nice hike, do it!

Great trail! This is a hidden gem for sure. It had some snow but it was manageable. Looking forward to coming back.

Beautiful trail. Make a stop at this one before the spring and summer crowd shows up! Went yesterday and only saw three groups of people. 4x4 recommended for the road up to trailhead, or at least high clearance vehicle. Recommend yaktrax for the next couple weeks at least. Some spots in the trail were still pretty packed with snow.

icy

totally worth it, I was in regular hiking boots,but found some areas,and especially the way down yak tracks would have been helpful. beautiful awesome trail though And only two parties the whole time

Glad I did this hike; the drive was nice, slow and steady to the trail head. The last 1/4 mile or so was probably the steepest/most uphill, but beautiful. Didn’t see anyone else on the trail. Hardly any ice/snow.

icy

First quarter of the hike is a steep incline with ice. Coming down would recommend cleats. Had to turn around last leg of the trail due to weather moving in.

icy

Nice quiet trail with a beautiful view at the end. 1/12/20 packed snow and ice so crampons helped a lot!

My wife and I hiked this trail 21 Dec. Old Stage Road to the trailhead was pretty tame, mostly packed snow with a little dry gravel in sections. No major, unavoidable ruts or bumps: I would have no hesitation taking our Prius with winter tires to the trailhead (just a few spots to pick a good line). Trailhead parking is very limited. Google took us to the correct spot. The trail was snowy, but packed down from previous hikers. Brought yaktrax, but never needed them. Pretty views on the way up and at the top. One note: some other hikers mentioned this map leads to a peak behind Gray Back Peak.

Absolutely beautiful!! One of my favorite hikes I’ve done! Did this in tennis shoes yesterday. It took us about 2 1/2 hours with lots of pit stops to look around and take photos, etc. along the way. The majority of the trail is now snow or ice-covered, so good boots + ice spikes would have been preferred. But if the 4 of us who went, we only had 2 slips the whole way. Amazing views, and the best view at the finish! I missed the turn-off for this one while using google maps, so ended up opening the AllTrails map and following it as I drove to find the trailhead. Also, the gravel road to get there was quite well groomed this time (though still a bumpy backroad)! Much better than this time last year.