Gourd Lake Trail

Gourd Lake Trail is a 11.2 mile out and back trail located near Granby, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful trail and lake on top. 1/3 or so is a lot of elevation gain with a lot of switch backs. The app mislead you and the trail is longer than 9 mls. The app shows the direct way following the creek but not the trail!!
It took us almost 7 hours for the following reasons - if group with camping gear 35 pound a bag, rain on and off that slow us down at least an hour and the switch backs with no end !!!
Well worth though. With no heavy pack it is a great hike.

Very pleasant, closer to 14 or 15 miles I'd say. Lots of shoobies for the first 2 miles. The lakes up top are worth it.

fly fishing

Just did this hike two weeks ago.

The one thing I'd like to point out is that last section of trail (Gourd Lake Trail) reallllllly adds time and distance to the hike. It says here the hike is about 11 miles roundtrip--but that's only if the trail went directly up mountain like the creek does. It does not. That last section of trail is all switch backs and it can take some time. Overall, I clocked about 16 miles round trip (with a little bit of walking around the lake to fish). Also, the hike up took us about 4 hours and the return trip took us 3.
We aren't big hikers and we aren't used to elevation, so it's very likely you'll be able to have an easier time with it. But it was an intense hike! I caught a beautiful cutthroat at the head of the first little pond. I was expecting a lot more fish that were easier to fool--but they were pretty skittish. The main lake was almost impossible for fly fishing--I tried and tried, but no method was successful for me.

Saturday, July 09, 2016