Gourd Lake Trail is a 15.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Granby, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,749 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Fun trail. Really snowy especially near the end. I didn’t get to the end of the trail because we were going through feet of snow. The road to the parking lot was closed so we walked an extra mile to the trail head.

Fun hike–the lake was very pretty. I'd highly recommend continuing on to Island Lake or the tarns above Gourd Lake, as they were very beautiful.

A gorgeous hike, but it makes you work for it with about about three miles of tough switchbacks at the end. With packs, this was a good workout. We clocked this hike at 8.5 one-way, a bit longer than we had thought. Views and solitude were well worth it though.

Too much snow to reach the lake plus it’s melting and unstable. Had to turn around at 10500. Creek crossings were dangerous for people and dogs this year. Water was rushing over the trails and were worse when heading back. Distances more than listed on app- 2 miles of switchbacks at the top and still had 200-300 feet of elevation to go. Beautiful scenery but a very hard hike with a pack.

All Trails a huge help in navigating the last mile or so. Hard to follow trail...

Muddy, Soggy, Buchanan pass trail yo gourde is basically walking thru soggy mess- be prepared for water crossings. 2 to 4 feet of snow towards the top of switchbacks? Trail easy to lose.

Beautiful trail until about 10,300 feet and then tons of snow which made for a difficult last half mile even with snowshoes and an ice axe. Lake was frozen but great views. Probably snowy for another couple of weeks. (June 28th, 2019)

Wed Jul 25 2018

Even though I did this hike on a Sunday in late July, I saw very few people until I returned to Monarch Lake at the end of the day. The scenery ranged from pleasant to spectacular, and the wildflowers near the lake were dense and colorful. It took me 3 1/2 hours to reach the lake, and another 2 3/4 hours to return. Highly recommended!

Sat Aug 19 2017

Beautiful trail and lake on top. 1/3 or so is a lot of elevation gain with a lot of switch backs. The app mislead you and the trail is longer than 9 mls. The app shows the direct way following the creek but not the trail!! It took us almost 7 hours for the following reasons - if group with camping gear 35 pound a bag, rain on and off that slow us down at least an hour and the switch backs with no end !!! Well worth though. With no heavy pack it is a great hike.

Mon Aug 07 2017

Very pleasant, closer to 14 or 15 miles I'd say. Lots of shoobies for the first 2 miles. The lakes up top are worth it.

Fri Jul 21 2017

Just did this hike two weeks ago. The one thing I'd like to point out is that last section of trail (Gourd Lake Trail) reallllllly adds time and distance to the hike. It says here the hike is about 11 miles roundtrip--but that's only if the trail went directly up mountain like the creek does. It does not. That last section of trail is all switch backs and it can take some time. Overall, I clocked about 16 miles round trip (with a little bit of walking around the lake to fish). Also, the hike up took us about 4 hours and the return trip took us 3. We aren't big hikers and we aren't used to elevation, so it's very likely you'll be able to have an easier time with it. But it was an intense hike! I caught a beautiful cutthroat at the head of the first little pond. I was expecting a lot more fish that were easier to fool--but they were pretty skittish. The main lake was almost impossible for fly fishing--I tried and tried, but no method was successful for me.

recorded Recording - Sep 08, 2:08 PM