Gore Lake

Gore Lake is a 11.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hunters may be in this area during hunting season. The trail is neither marked nor maintained for winter use, and it crosses several avalanche paths.

Pretty easy trail, even a few steep sections before coming to the lake were a breeze. Pretty monotonous trail going through the forest with suprisingly little shade. Gorgeous shades of green everywhere though and the meadows were full of beautiful wildflowers.

Was an awesome trail. I was up there on business and brought my back pack. Took me over 6 hours to climb up and 4:15 to get down while carrying a 45 lbs pack. Ended up staying two nights.

Pretty consistent trail pitch until you hit the grave site. The next steep section is what we nicknamed the "hurt locker" as it wasn't a lot of fun and very challenging. Then you hit a beautiful little valley with amazing wild flowers and scenery. Followed but some more steep terrain to get to the lake we called the "Hillary Step."

Being a flatlander it can be challenging with the altitude, but over all one of the best backpacking trips I've done. Be sure to say hello to the friendly mountain goats by the lake. We camped on the south side of the lake by a fire pit and were visited twice a day by the goats, thus naming this spot "goat camp" as they came in and grazed by us in the morning and evening.

The lake is worth the hike. We had a fun encounter with a marmot. This hike has a several different ecosystems throughout the trip. This makes it a really interesting hike. It is not an easy hike. We used the app, and it said 6.2 miles to the lake. The trail is difficult from the split off of the Gore Creek Trail. We are casual hikers. It took us about 4 hours to ascend and about 3.5 hours to descend including breaks. We recommend bug spray. At this point in the season, the trail is clearly visible and everything is passable.

Been here before in winter

This was a beautiful hike. My 17 year old son and I flew up from Tampa FL to do some backpacking and found this one on AllTrails. The hike to the lake was a constant uphill with a few flat parts followed by a steep last mile and a half just after the grave site trail junction. There were plenty of places to filter water so looking back we could've lightened up our load a bit by not carrying so much extra water. We were pretty slow to get up to the lake but eventually made it around 6:30pm the first day. There was one other small group that packed out the next morning. We were planning on staying 3 nights but ended up packing out the 3rd day due to altitude issues. We had the whole lake to ourselves until we left Saturday. The scenery was absolutely beautiful. Very very small amounts of snow on the last bit of trail with a little mud in some parts but all the down trees were cleared and the path was very easy to follow.
We had some mountain goats come into our camp the first morning and pretty much hung around the whole time we were up there. We never fed or touched them but they were extremely comfortable grazing within feet of our camp. They are very quiet and can spook you sometimes when you're not expecting it and look up and one is 5 feet from you staring at you. I did some research when we got home and learned they can sometimes be aggressive but we had no issues. They had some nursing baby goats in tow that were adorable. I think people have been feeding them which is not a good thing for them as they had zero fear of humans.
The weather was really good with only a few short showers and really light hail that lasted 10 minutes on the second day.
All in all it was an amazing hike and I highly recommend spending at least one night up there to fully enjoy the area and views.

Incredible hike.one of the most scenic and beautiful hikes I've ever done. All of the views are amazing. It took me about 6 hours to do the 13 miles round trip to the lake. It was more difficult going down for me because the ground was covered in snow. It's not too strenuous but definitely an intense hike. Lots of incline, but a nice balance. The lake is gorgeous and its worth the hike up to it. Great hike for the fall.

Gore Lake is in a gorgeous basin, and definitely worth the hike. We backpacked in on a Friday afternoon and stayed 2 nights at the lake. Saw several groups of day hikers going in, but no one at the lake Friday night. Saturday a couple more groups showed up, but there are enough somewhat secluded places around the lake - we didn't notice the others at all. Took the relatively short hike to the upper lake in the area, Snow Lake. Beautiful spot at the top of the pass over Snow Lake, and relatively easy to get there. Decent amount of elevation gain to Gore Lake, and quite steep after the junction. Took us about 4 hours with the big packs.

My husband and I did this hike on 9/5/16. My legs weren't fresh, as I ran 15 miles down Vail Pass and did 4 mile Shrine Ridge hike after the day before.

Gore Lake trail was absolutely gorgeous! A great mix of pine, aspen, meadow and creek falls along the way.

Our average pace up was 28min/mile but mile 4-5 we hit elevation gain and dropped to 35min. It took us 3 hours up and 3 hours down. We could have gone down quicker but due to my sore quads, it took a bit longer.

The lake itself was gorgeous and surprisingly we were the only people there!

Awesome hike. its definitely a tough one, My GPS said 12.6 mi. rt. with a 2800 ft gain. You may see a lot of people on the Gore Creek trail but the closer you get to the lake the more quiet it gets. I would highly recommend this hike, the challenge is worth it, the lake is great. And we saw some Mountain Goat friends up there.

Backpacked up to Gore Lake for 2 nights stay and I'll say that the going was tough but definitely worth it. We were lucky enough to go up during the week and saw only a few others at the lake. Be prepared for a long steep climb at the trail junction. We took it in strides and made it up in about 4.5 hours. All trails and Protrails both say it's about 6.1 miles each way but we tracked it closer to 7.5.