Red Buffalo Pass via Gore Creek Trail

Red Buffalo Pass via Gore Creek Trail is a 12.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, bird watching, and horses and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,172 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail enters the Eagles Nest Wilderness. Wilderness regulations exist and are posted at the trailhead.

Can’t wait to do this hike again. The foliage is breathtaking!

I adored this hike. I would recommend backpacking and staying near the pass or in the meadow just below, as 12.8 miles was painful. The very beginning and last mile is difficult- the rest is a gradual incline. Stunning!

This is a super trail. 85 percent hiking is in the trees, so plenty of shade. You are hiking near Gore Creek and will cross. There is a tree bridge to get across river, very safe. There are wonderful photo spots along the river. We were not able to complete the hike because we had an event to attend but will be back to do this again. The hike can be difficult in a few areas but overall moderate hiking. We stopped at the place referred to as the gravesite. It was a great hike.

Hiked Friday/Saturday over Buffalo Pass to Eccles Pass. Truly gorgeous hike, and worth the effort of te snow/avy debris. First few miles are fairly clear. Creek is running higher with runoff, so we crossed a bit downstream using a downed log for support (too small to walk across). Avalanche debris a bit past crossing took some climbing/ducking but was passable. Snow just past this debris made it hard to follow actual trail, so we tried to find the best way through the snow while keeping creek on the correct side. Higher up with less tree coverage meant less snow and an easier crossing of Buffalo Pass. Back side of Pass (east side) still has quite a bit of snow. If you're backpacking, try getting to this stuff and up Eccles early to minimize postholing, and watch for runoff patterns underneath the snow!

Fairly clear of snow until avalanche at 3.44 miles. Turned around there so not sure if rest of hike is clear. Amazing red columbines and views the entire way. Keep dogs on leash- saw several deer with fawns.

lots of great views. the rapids made a great sound as we walked alongside. we went only about 2 miles in. the trail was clear and only saw a few other groups on the trail.

Amazing views of rapids as much of the hike runs alongside a river. Went out on 6/25 and the trail was open without snow but a bit muddy. I went 2.5 miles but the trail was clear beyond that point as well.

Great hike. Some water crossing. Snow at 1.8 miles

Snow at bridge

we only got about 1 mile in before seeing a moose, so turned around swiftly. bit of a climb for the first mile.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Hiked nearly to the lake, had to turn around due to time. The last portion of hike (past the tree with grave marker/cant miss it) is mostly uphill. Lots to see on this hike, variety of terrain, plenty of shade, beautiful views.

Mon Aug 27 2018

We only went 1.5 miles in. At 1.2 miles there is a beautiful river gorge overlook. The scenery varied from rocky to forest to rushing water to meadows. You can have a great hike without going very far.

Tue Aug 21 2018

Great trail of varying difficulty. Terrain varies. Only did 2 miles in but will go back to do the rest.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Did 3.1 miles up and then turned back - hot day. Beautiful trail- best part was seeing a gorgeous big brown bear towards the top across Deluge creek on the far side of the valley

Tue May 29 2018

Only did a bit 2.5 miles as we went with family (3 kids). Perfect difficulty for a 4 yr old.

Fri Apr 27 2018

Snow packed about a mile in. Still fun. Be careful!

Thu Nov 16 2017

Awesome trail!

Thu Oct 05 2017

beautiful trail that has open space and fields within the valley surrounded by Aspen's. We went on Oct 1st 2017 and what a view. Very easy trail with many spots of the river and surrounding steppes.

Sun Sep 17 2017

Really nice trail. Lots of variation between forest and fields. I went all the way up to Gore Lake. Tough incline on the last part but worth it. Only criticism is the trail was really rocky so I was constantly looking down at my feet to make sure I didn't trip instead of looking at the gorgeous view.

Tue Aug 08 2017

Great half day hike. it took me exactly 5 hrs from TH to lake and back at a relatively fast pace. beautiful along the creek with a lot of diversity (woods, open fields, boulders...), Hike to the lake from the graveyard is steep but worthwhile. it took me 1 hr to reach the lake from the split.

Wed Jul 19 2017

This hike was absolutely gorgeous! I loved every second on it. The snow had melted and there many mini creeks to jump over as well as mud. The wildflowers were in full bloom and everything was green. The brush along the path is very abundant and when I hiked (early in the morning - I started at 7:30), everything was wet from either dew or the previous night's rain, so my pants got pretty soaked. I recommend wearing fast drying pants and bringing a change of socks. My pants dried, but my socks were soaked for most of the hike. The trail was very easy to follow and was definitely challenging at times, but the gorgeous views made it worth it! I highly recommend this hike!

Thu Jul 06 2017

What a wonderful trail ! Steep, various, massive ! And with wildlife all around the lake like mountain goats and marmots. what else ?

Fri Jun 16 2017

Really an amazing trail, beautiful scenery, wildflowers... Many muddy spots though. Unfortunately we were not able to get to the lake, because approximately 70% up the trail there was a lot of snow, mud and fallen trees, and we had no snow boots. Would have to come back properly equipped.