Gore Creek Trail to Buffalo Pass

Gore Creek Trail to Buffalo Pass is a 12.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Snow packed about a mile in. Still fun. Be careful!

Awesome trail!

beautiful trail that has open space and fields within the valley surrounded by Aspen's. We went on Oct 1st 2017 and what a view. Very easy trail with many spots of the river and surrounding steppes.

Really nice trail. Lots of variation between forest and fields. I went all the way up to Gore Lake. Tough incline on the last part but worth it. Only criticism is the trail was really rocky so I was constantly looking down at my feet to make sure I didn't trip instead of looking at the gorgeous view.

Great half day hike. it took me exactly 5 hrs from TH to lake and back at a relatively fast pace. beautiful along the creek with a lot of diversity (woods, open fields, boulders...), Hike to the lake from the graveyard is steep but worthwhile. it took me 1 hr to reach the lake from the split.

This hike was absolutely gorgeous! I loved every second on it. The snow had melted and there many mini creeks to jump over as well as mud. The wildflowers were in full bloom and everything was green. The brush along the path is very abundant and when I hiked (early in the morning - I started at 7:30), everything was wet from either dew or the previous night's rain, so my pants got pretty soaked. I recommend wearing fast drying pants and bringing a change of socks. My pants dried, but my socks were soaked for most of the hike. The trail was very easy to follow and was definitely challenging at times, but the gorgeous views made it worth it! I highly recommend this hike!

What a wonderful trail ! Steep, various, massive ! And with wildlife all around the lake like mountain goats and marmots. what else ?

Really an amazing trail, beautiful scenery, wildflowers... Many muddy spots though. Unfortunately we were not able to get to the lake, because approximately 70% up the trail there was a lot of snow, mud and fallen trees, and we had no snow boots. Would have to come back properly equipped.

incredible scenery and if you do this trail from the vail pass self guided tour, you have the luxury of all down hill except for a few spots. plus there are alot of parks to visit along the way.

Beautiful trail. Came across mountain goat about 1.5 miles in.

It was a beautiful hike. End of May and really muddy on a good portion of the trail. The river is gorgeous and completes the ambiance.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Spent the night at lake took us 5hrs to get there, moderately slow pace. In morning went up and over to deluge lake with another 5 hrs back to car. Wow.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

I hiked this trail 9-16-16. The aspen were just starting to turn. The hike to Gore Lake was 6.5 miles each way and this was documented on two trackers. It didn't get steep until after the split for the lake and the pass, the last two miles. I wouldn't say it was difficult because there were some uphill sections followed by flatter sections and no boulder hopping. There were a few tricky stream crossings. Did not see any wildlife other than squirrels. Gore Lake was beautiful!

Friday, September 09, 2016

it was an amazing hike.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Great hike! Scenary is breathtaking!

Monday, August 08, 2016

Beautiful hike with tons of wildflowers, especially further into the hike. A little tough in one area with decent elevation gain, but so worth it for the views at the lake! We got an early start - at the TH around 6:30, and didn't see anyone until we got to the lake. Took just under 3 hours to get to the lake, and then about 2 hours back. Views are amazing and just get better and better the higher up you get. One of my favorite hikes I've done this summer.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

My favorite trail in Vail. Took me 3 hours to get to the lake from the trailhead. Multiple stream crossings and beautiful scenery. Abundant wildlife throughout the entire trail. First part is tough, than gets deceivingly easy to the grave, its just a gradual uphill hike. After you leave the graves and start heading towards Gore Lake is when the real challenge starts, but don't give up because it is stunning. I stayed at the lake for a half hour before making my way back down; total was 5 hours round-trip so it turned out to be a perfect half day hike.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

This was a lovely hike. We hit the trailhead around 2 and arrived at the lake around 7. We camped there and it was beautiful! Bajilons of Stars and woke up to cute little mountain goat. Decent amt of wild flowers. I would say this hike is definitely more than 12 miles..esp once you get the graveyard (4 miles in)..it definitely feels like it's more than 2 miles to the lake!!
Also, be sure to bring bug spray. Mosquitoes were out of control near the top and my bf had hundreds of bites.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

This is one of our favorite Trails. You have access pretty early in the season but can run into snow covered areas which could impede your hike. We were able to hike all the way to the graveyard and had a wonderful hike! Beautiful scenery and sounds of the creek accompany you the entire way.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Beautiful trail but you will post-hole the last hour or so if you want to summit. I was wearing shorts and hiking boots and was not able to reach the lake due to heavy snow. As stated in previous comments, this trail is more like 13 miles. I would have taken me 5-6 hours to reach the lake had I not turned back. If you want to stop and admire the scenery, carve out 9 hours or so of your day round trip.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Three day trip, starts off a bit uphill then after about 1 hour levels off - every second of the trail is picturesque and wow ! Father's Day weekend we were cut short due to snow on trail and were forced to stay next to a Beutiful river. Great trip will be back soon -- pober

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Did it two days ago and want to do it many more times. The beginning started steep and then it evened out. Plenty of places to take a walk through the river... Even if it's freezing!

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Great hike!! My go-to daily. First 1/2 mile a little hard but not bad. Rocky trail with lots of water. Snow at a mile up that can vehicles carefully at this time of the year. Snowshoes needed after 1.25 miles to avoid post-holing.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Started at gore creek trailhead, finished at Gore Lake, which is absolutely stunning. Very serene and private on a Saturday in October. Excellent hike!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Great hike but mileage is differently off. It says it is a 12 mile hike but, at a minimum, it is a 13.2 to 13.8 mile hike. I used Map my Ride app for the round trip of 13.8 but turned on the AllTrails app at the top to record the descent. Even the AllTrails app recorded a 6.6 mile descent. That being said, the weather was great and the views were stunning. Steep climbs and I imagine in bad weather, this trail would be quite a challenge.

Monday, August 10, 2015

Nice backpacking trip. The trail is fairly easy to start until you head up to the lake then it gets steep.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Awesome views. Rushing river with lots of stream crossings and a bit muddy. Absolutely awesome.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Just hiked it yesterday. Shortly after getting onto Gore Lake Trail the snow cover makes it impossible to follow. Made my own trail up, still ~70% frozen. However, I saw a marmot, a beaver, a snake, and many birds. Definitely one of the most difficult day hikes I have ever done.

Monday, April 06, 2015

Amazing, but challenging hike. Once you get past the first two miles of the trail, people become sparse, even during Independence Day weekend. Beautiful early spring flowers & snow at Gore Lake in July. Lovely!

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Great trail, awesome views! 7hr 20min to lake and back. 3ft of snow for the last mile to the lake, which is frozen, made for a fairly treacherous hike. Trail well-defined and passable by foot but need proper gear.