Goose Creek Trail 612 to McCurdy Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake George, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Bailey: From Bailey, drive east on Highway 285 to Pine Junction. Turn south (right) at Pine Junction on to Jefferson County Road 126 toward Pine and Buffalo Creek. Drive 21.8 miles on County Road 126. Turn south (right) on to Forest Service Road 211 that leads to Cheesman Reservoir. Travel 2 miles and turn west (right) at the sign pointing to Goose Creek. Drive 1.1 miles in a westerly direction until you reach a fork in the road. Bear left at the fork and stay on 211. From this fork drive 5.2 miles to a road intersection south of Molly Gulch Campground. Turn right and drive 4.7 miles to the Goose Creek Trailhead access road. Half way along this road you'll pass Goose Creek Campground. At the trailhead access sign turn north (right) and drive 1.3 miles to the trailhead parking.

Amazing beautiful Trail! Fantastic rock formations if you go all the way up. We will be back. Camped at
Goose Creek campground, but could have camped on the trail. Got fantastic photos!

Love this area. We did the goose creek loop counter-clockwise, 3 nights and 4 days. Days 2 and 3 are by far the toughest, lots of uphill and steep switchbacks. Stayed on McGurdy park trail instead of taking the Lake Park “shortcut”. Pretty much all downhill from Hankins pass back to the trailhead. It was my 10 year old son’s first pack it in pack it out trip. He did great, so any dedicated novice can do this.

Kid friendly camping spots early on, trail was very busy and lots of people with poorly trained off leash dogs. Wilderness area was beautiful, saw some cows in the burn scar area before the trailhead. Spotted some grouse and the biggest beaver dam I’ve seen in person on goose creek.

Beautiful scenery, sort of a desert feel to it at first.

very well maintained trail. Great camp spots just down from the old miner buildings with great water supply. I hiked in another few miles and was able to use a small creek in a very secluded area. some spectacular views when you hiked off trail and onto rock. a little hot last week.

Backpacked 5 miles into the trail. The first mile or so is burn scar, but after that is exquisite. I've never seen more beautiful scenery anywhere. Plenty of good campgrounds and water sources.

Our backpacking trip went counterclockwise, starting at Goose Creek, forking left onto McCurdy, left again at Lake Park, and final left at Hawkins Pass. Around 24 miles total.

Goose Creek trail was cool; there is a diverse landscape varying from mountain views to aspen groves to large rock formations. Plenty of water from mile 1 though 6 along this route for the backpackers. Can’t speak to further sections, as we created a loop with McCurdy.

We continued our trek that day into McCurdy (junction at about 6 miles into Goose Creek). McCurdy is tough, required lots of breaks for us as we are relatively new to backpacking and carrying +/-30lb packs. Decent water sources from the Goose Creek / McCurdy junction — for us, we filled up around our mile 8, mile 9 (cave / stream area), and close to mile 10.

All water sources are low, keep in mind we had a low snowpack this year, therefore streams and cave water are lower than normal. Related to this, there are fire restrictions in the area! Always a best practice during a hot and dry summer to NOT start an open fire. Bring fuel and a personal stove to cook. Don’t be that guy, the one who starts a completely preventable forest fire.

Good conditions, but some erosion on the trail. Easy to follow.

Went weekend of May 4th. Just passed the cabins we veered left toward what we called “hitchhikers thumb” and climbed all the way down to the creek. Tough decent, but well worth it. Out of earshot the whole weekend. Weather was OK. Low in the 20s overnight. Will definitely go back.

I read about this place on different websites so we decided to give it a go. We opted for an out and back overnight camping trip on goose creek trail. The scenery was nice and the trail was easy to follow. We stopped at a site about 5.5 miles in a decided to set up camp. It was a nice big camp site with a decent water source. There was a little trail across from our site that went up hill to a more secluded camp site with nice views of the mountains. I wish I would have noticed that site before settling in. Either way we had fun and would like to try one of the loops next time.

Good hike. Decent water, shade, and a few views. Didn't see any animals except for dogs. Pretty easy until you hit the side trail to historic buildings. Then there are some inclines but nothing awful. Found good camping and water 5.5 miles in. Trailhead parking lot gets full.

Concur with Santha... this description is wrong as it only accounts for the trail until it hits a side hike to historic buildings.

Very nice place for backpacking. Lots of creek along the path to refill water. Many disperse camping spots. Trail was moderate to hard. You can go out and back. You can multiple days where there is a short loop and a long loop. Very versatile.

I was slightly confuddled by this site and map 105. People kept talking about the "end of the trail," but the end of the trail is where Goose Creek meets Wigwam on map 105. Just for clarity, this hike is from the trailhead to the turnoff for the historic buildings (which are well marked). The 7.7 miles is just this portion of Goose Creek Trail.

The hike is ideal. The weather in June was in the low 80's, so although it was warmish during the day, night time really cooled off (and we had two small thunderstorms--one each evening--while camping out). We packed in, set up camp at the creek flowing to the historic buildings and then did a day hike up to almost where Goose Creek hits McCurdy (great lunch stop vista up there, btw, right before the trails hook up). Took about two hours from our campsite to make it up that far. Went through some of the prettiest Aspen old growth I've seen in a while. It was very refreshing. We crossed two streams on the way, so water was plentiful. After we returned to camp, we hiked down to the historic buildings and found a nice vista to enjoy our dinner. This is absolutely gorgeous country.

Truly enjoyed our three days in Lost Creek Wilderness and will definitely be back to do more of Goose Creek Trail #612.

This hike takes place in a picturesque terrain. We hiked in to camp out near the creek. We found a really nice secluded area to set camp near the end of the marked trail. The following day hiked further than the marked trail and you can keep going not knowing where the trail ends but supposedly keep continuing.
The marked part is not strenuous at all even with the backpack but the unmarked portion is quite an elevation. Worth the try, it’s very pretty.
Overall a great place to camp not far from the city.

I’m glad we didn’t let the crowded parking lot dissuade us from doing this trail. We saw a steady number of people on the trail, but nothing overwhelming. Once we arrived at the historic buildings, we headed further down hill until we found a nice size creek to camp near. The rock formations on the mountain walls were amazing. Loved this trip.

Took some Boy Scouts up to do their 20-mile hike for their hiking merit badge. It was a great hike with quite a bit of elevation gain (3,000ft). We stayed on Goose Creek the entire 10 miles in. Beautiful views when it wasn't foggy and raining on us, but still beautiful none-the-less. If I were to do this again I would have backpacked in and camped along the trail. There are some amazing camping spots about 1 mile in from the trailhead.

Great hike, plenty of camping spots, we will definitely be back.

Would rate this more on the easier side. Good hike though. Almost all the elevation gain in on the way back to the trailhead. Clocked my miles at more like 8.5 round trip.

Great trail - starts out in the burn scar but after about 1/2 mile goes into beautiful, lush forest. Light snow on the majority of the trail on 1/28/18 but easy to follow due to previous hikers footprints (might be more difficult after a fresh snowfall). If you go all the way to the historic buildings the RT mileage is actually 9.7 miles not 7.7.

12/30 really nice hike. It was 60 degrees and sunny. Beautiful views, fun driving there, and not too difficult. Highly recommend.

If you keep going a little bit past the end point, you’ll run into some really cool old buildings.

off road driving
Thursday, November 16, 2017

this is a great place and i go here a lot in the winter. i call it camp nosno because its some anomaly that its never snowy there. my theory is the constant 20-60mph winds just blow it off the mountain before it hits the ground haha! still worth camping because you can shoot, hike, everything there. the places that are OK to shoot are facing hills or berms and it's very safe in case you hear gun shots hiking. this is in the heart of the hayman burn area so you can see forever, including hazards while shooting. goose creek turns into matukat and will take you all the way to hwy24 near terryall. its awesome all the way and very easy going which is what i'd rate this trail. the hiking is definitely moderate difficulty with and endless amount of rocks and hills to explore with cliffs everywhere. the grass is one of the weirdest colors i've ever seen and without the trees to block it and the moss covered rocks- it's one of the coolest places at sunset. if you'd like to see the run all the way to hwy24 i have a video up at:

07 ranger manual
bilsteins
13psi
33"
no lift
no locker
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

Thursday, September 07, 2017

This place is absolutely beautiful. Great place to go backpacking and get away. My friends and I usually come out here and camp a couple days just to decompress. Highly recommendreccomend

Monday, August 07, 2017

Beautiful views, somewhat challenging hike. Hiked in early and set up camp near some old mining cabins. Spent the day exploring trails all around the area. Tons to explore!

Monday, July 24, 2017

Nice area to do some hiking/backpacking. Plenty of camping spots, some near the creek. Found secluded spots near the creek which you can find using my recorded track endpoint.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Packed in about 2 hours to find some more secluded campsites - totally worth it. We found a great site hidden between some tall boulders right near the creek, just past the mining shelters and "rock slide." The next day we hiked in the other direction from the shelters, toward the mining equipment, and ended up wishing we had gone that way to camp. There are incredible views with campsites, especially if you're willing to do some bouldering. This was my first backpacking trip and it was unforgettable. Slightly difficult for me even though I'm in decent shape - we adjusted my pack on the way out and it made a huge difference. Will definitely be back.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

hard hills but amazing views. worth the effort entirely

Saturday, July 08, 2017

had a great time with all my friends but pretty heavy traffic

Friday, June 23, 2017

Hiked June 19-20. Bunch of cool campsite off the trail during the first couple miles. The real beauty of this hike isn't until 6+ miles in. We chose to go down to refrigerator gulch and McCurdy trail. Tons of different trails and multiple loops so you can make it as long as you want. I would suggest doing more than just the goose creak trail if your going over night

Friday, June 16, 2017

(6/9/17-6/10/17) Two friends and I went up 4 miles with gear to camp on night 1 and then day hiked to refrigerator gulch and back to the car on day 2. Very warm at night and super hot during the day. It felt good in the shade. Plenty of water in the main Goose Creek. We went up Goose Creek to Refrigerator Gulch and the small streams coming down to Goose Creek from the east are not flowing very strongly. Rely on Goose Creek for water. If you have a warm weather sleeping bag, bring it. I slept on top of my down bag for most of the night.
Once you get on 211 (dirt road) from 126, it's a long and slow drive. It took us 40 minutes to hit the trailhead along the dirt road 211.
There are plenty of camping spots along the trail, most of which will probably be taken on the weekend.
The trailhead was very full on Saturday morning and many people parked along the road.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

I took my GF here last season for her first hike in CO. Fun hike, plenty of great spots to set up camp.