Goose Creek Trail

Goose Creek Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake George, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Bailey: From Bailey, drive east on Highway 285 to Pine Junction. Turn south (right) at Pine Junction on to Jefferson County Road 126 toward Pine and Buffalo Creek. Drive 21.8 miles on County Road 126. Turn south (right) on to Forest Service Road 211 that leads to Cheesman Reservoir. Travel 2 miles and turn west (right) at the sign pointing to Goose Creek. Drive 1.1 miles in a westerly direction until you reach a fork in the road. Bear left at the fork and stay on 211. From this fork drive 5.2 miles to a road intersection south of Molly Gulch Campground. Turn right and drive 4.7 miles to the Goose Creek Trailhead access road. Half way along this road you'll pass Goose Creek Campground. At the trailhead access sign turn north (right) and drive 1.3 miles to the trailhead parking.

Took some Boy Scouts up to do their 20-mile hike for their hiking merit badge. It was a great hike with quite a bit of elevation gain (3,000ft). We stayed on Goose Creek the entire 10 miles in. Beautiful views when it wasn't foggy and raining on us, but still beautiful none-the-less. If I were to do this again I would have backpacked in and camped along the trail. There are some amazing camping spots about 1 mile in from the trailhead.

Great hike, plenty of camping spots, we will definitely be back.

Would rate this more on the easier side. Good hike though. Almost all the elevation gain in on the way back to the trailhead. Clocked my miles at more like 8.5 round trip.

Great trail - starts out in the burn scar but after about 1/2 mile goes into beautiful, lush forest. Light snow on the majority of the trail on 1/28/18 but easy to follow due to previous hikers footprints (might be more difficult after a fresh snowfall). If you go all the way to the historic buildings the RT mileage is actually 9.7 miles not 7.7.

12/30 really nice hike. It was 60 degrees and sunny. Beautiful views, fun driving there, and not too difficult. Highly recommend.

If you keep going a little bit past the end point, you’ll run into some really cool old buildings.

off road driving

this is a great place and i go here a lot in the winter. i call it camp nosno because its some anomaly that its never snowy there. my theory is the constant 20-60mph winds just blow it off the mountain before it hits the ground haha! still worth camping because you can shoot, hike, everything there. the places that are OK to shoot are facing hills or berms and it's very safe in case you hear gun shots hiking. this is in the heart of the hayman burn area so you can see forever, including hazards while shooting. goose creek turns into matukat and will take you all the way to hwy24 near terryall. its awesome all the way and very easy going which is what i'd rate this trail. the hiking is definitely moderate difficulty with and endless amount of rocks and hills to explore with cliffs everywhere. the grass is one of the weirdest colors i've ever seen and without the trees to block it and the moss covered rocks- it's one of the coolest places at sunset. if you'd like to see the run all the way to hwy24 i have a video up at:

07 ranger manual
bilsteins
13psi
33"
no lift
no locker
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

This place is absolutely beautiful. Great place to go backpacking and get away. My friends and I usually come out here and camp a couple days just to decompress. Highly recommendreccomend

Beautiful views, somewhat challenging hike. Hiked in early and set up camp near some old mining cabins. Spent the day exploring trails all around the area. Tons to explore!

Nice area to do some hiking/backpacking. Plenty of camping spots, some near the creek. Found secluded spots near the creek which you can find using my recorded track endpoint.

Packed in about 2 hours to find some more secluded campsites - totally worth it. We found a great site hidden between some tall boulders right near the creek, just past the mining shelters and "rock slide." The next day we hiked in the other direction from the shelters, toward the mining equipment, and ended up wishing we had gone that way to camp. There are incredible views with campsites, especially if you're willing to do some bouldering. This was my first backpacking trip and it was unforgettable. Slightly difficult for me even though I'm in decent shape - we adjusted my pack on the way out and it made a huge difference. Will definitely be back.

hard hills but amazing views. worth the effort entirely

had a great time with all my friends but pretty heavy traffic

Hiked June 19-20. Bunch of cool campsite off the trail during the first couple miles. The real beauty of this hike isn't until 6+ miles in. We chose to go down to refrigerator gulch and McCurdy trail. Tons of different trails and multiple loops so you can make it as long as you want. I would suggest doing more than just the goose creak trail if your going over night

(6/9/17-6/10/17) Two friends and I went up 4 miles with gear to camp on night 1 and then day hiked to refrigerator gulch and back to the car on day 2. Very warm at night and super hot during the day. It felt good in the shade. Plenty of water in the main Goose Creek. We went up Goose Creek to Refrigerator Gulch and the small streams coming down to Goose Creek from the east are not flowing very strongly. Rely on Goose Creek for water. If you have a warm weather sleeping bag, bring it. I slept on top of my down bag for most of the night.
Once you get on 211 (dirt road) from 126, it's a long and slow drive. It took us 40 minutes to hit the trailhead along the dirt road 211.
There are plenty of camping spots along the trail, most of which will probably be taken on the weekend.
The trailhead was very full on Saturday morning and many people parked along the road.

I took my GF here last season for her first hike in CO. Fun hike, plenty of great spots to set up camp.

My son and I did the 25 mile counterclockwise loop that starts at goose creek trail and trailhead , then to mccurdy trail, to lake park trail and finally Hoskins pass trail back to trail head. We hiked 19 the first day and 6 the second. Lots of climbing up and down and down and up. Strange to don3 big claims in a day and when you least expect them. Lovely water everywhere for our dog. Great varied terrain and rock features. Well marked trails. The amount of climbing was a serious challenge. We saw many people we did not expect to be able to make the climbs required for the loop. Saw lots of elk dropping and prints but no elk. Fellow hikers were numerous and nice. Refrigerator gulch looks like a great place to swim.

Very beautiful trail, with an awesome boulder park and some historic buildings along the way. We found a campsite about .5 mi into the trail, but it was so busy in the parking lot we figured it would be best to snag it and just dayhike from there. Fly fished some on the creek, good current with small (4 in) brook trout. Take lots of water as the trail hits the creek, then leaves it for some time before coming back around.

Beautiful scenery, and the trail is very well maintained. Will definitely be back!

We went during memorial weekend and it was super busy, but still managed to secure a great campsite and hang out by the river for most of the day. You're looking at about 30 minutes of dirt roads to get to the TH, but they're well maintained and accessible by most vehicles. Got incredibly chilly in the evening, but nothing you wouldn't expect during a wild Colorado spring like this year's. Highly recommend!

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Beautiful hike. Not too difficult, had varied terrains. We did come across a campfire that had not been completely put out and was smoldering outside of the fire ring. Be careful everyone!! We don't need a forest fire!!

Monday, May 08, 2017

Last summer we hiked this trail as the first ever backpacking trip for one of the ladies in our party. We shuttled from Wigwam trail and came out on this lovely trail. Setting up the cars for the shuttle took some time but was well worth it, as our party did not have the time to do the full loop. I will be bringing back my girls as the beginning of the hike would make a great first backpacking trip.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Love the tranquillity of this trail

Thursday, July 28, 2016

The trail is awesome! Well maintained and easily identifiable. You follow the creek for maybe the first mile or mile and a half but after that the water becomes a little scarce. We hiked six miles in and found a nice little meadow with a creek running next to it that provided plenty of water for pumping. Great trail without a lot of switchbacks so the inclines and declines are a little steep. Saw some wildlife and a few people but otherwise fairly quiet.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Had an amazing time! Great trail for our first backpacking trip. They key is finding campsites near water. But there are plenty of them if you look. The rain didn't even stop us! Great time!

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

This is one of my favorite trails! I've done it a couple times as a day hike and it's beautiful. It is a good mixture of up hill and down hill. Make sure to bring lots of water and start early in the morning at it gets hot in some areas with no tree cover.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Goose Creek was a very easy out and back trail, but it didn't stay along the creek for the majority of the hike. Also, the shaft house was very over rated, and wouldn't recommend visiting it, unless you wanted to see the lost creek valley which had great views, but was hard to find the keyhole that led to it. The views throughout the entire trail were really good, and overall was a pretty good hike. This is a very popular hike, that I wouldn't recommend doing during the Summer months (unless you like people)

Thursday, March 17, 2016

This was a great in and out trail. Much easier than I expected. The trail was wide and easy to follow. There also wasn't a lot of elevation gain. I was prepared for snow on the ground but there really wasn't a lot. I was glad to have my trekking poles though. Looking forward to doing this hike again and extending it to a backpacking trip, including other trails to make it a loop.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Other Scout Masters and I often use this hike for a two night stay for the younger Boy Scouts. Its moderate and a great "shake-down" hike for the boys to learn basic backpacking techniques. Plus, it's a destination hike so, the shaft house is a nice visit. It is well traveled and has a few very nice view lookouts. It starts out as a fire burned landscape but quickly turns lush. Great diversity!

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Very good time, had a blast. Lots to explore, lots to see, all the aspen trees were changing for fall. Not a hard hike and the fish are eager to bite anything you put in their face.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Great trail; walking along Goose Creek early is pleasant. But the rock formations up and down the canyon are unique. Also worth seeing are the 1890s bunkhouses at 4.2 miles from the trailhead (some things I've seen say it's 3.7 but we had two distance devices both over 4) and the shaft house up above the bunkhouses about a 1/4 mile.