Gold Camp Road

Gold Camp Road is a 14.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

off road driving

To let people know who are not familiar with Gold Camp Road, there are two sections. Lower Gold Camp road is for driving. Upper Gold Camp Road is for hiking up to St. Peters Dome parking lot. From there, you can drive the remainder of Upper Gold Camp road. The upper portion is just a dirt road but vehicles are not allowed due to some collapsed tunnels. I hiked up to tunnel 4 today and the views are fantastic. Eventually I will hike from St. Peters Dome to the Lower Gold Camp road Parking log. The trails shown is a combination of both upper and lower Gold Camp road. Don't be fooled by some of these comments. The majority of them are talking about Lower Gold Camp road only.

If you want to cover all of Gold Camp Road, it may take a few days. Drive the lower portion to the parking lot above Helen Hunt Falls. Find a day to hike the upper portion to St. Peters Dome parking. I would say plan the whole day for a one way trek. Research this trail. Then on another day, you can drive up Old Stage road to the St. Peters Dome parking lot. From there, you can drive to Cripple Creek and Victor and then you will have the whole road covered.

Enjoy!!!

off road driving

This is a dirt road that is on the side of the mountain. Great views. 4wd not required, there were several cars. The only thing you have to worry about is some potholes. Very easy trail for off road driving.

scenic driving

I went on this road for a scenic drive with a volunteer group called North Cheyenne Canon friends to pick up trash along the road. It was my first time on this road and it was a beautiful drive. It was snowing as well and the trees looked gorgeous. Great road to drive to get out of the city for a few hours, but I wouldn't recommend hiking or biking it due to the road traffic.

Fun trip. A narrow and challenging drive worth the scenic views.

Awesome day with our awesome Aussie's with my awesome friend...

off road driving

The mapped portion of the trail is not for Hiking, narrow and ussually high amount of vehichle traffic on narrow and partial drop off roads. 4 stars for scenic hiking with little challenge, 1 star for Off-Roading.

Hiking:
If your looking to hike, around the climax elevation of the road is a pull off/parking area (Up against a rocky cliff side). To the south is a gated (against vehicles) road which used to be the original road that hikers can take up to the infamous 3rd tunnel, which is about a 30-40 minute trek at a leisurely stroll. Day hiking very scenic on that trail. Havent hiked past 3rd tunnel yet, but theres still a trail that continues to the left.

Off-Road:
Skip this! Not an offroad trail but more of a dirt mountain road. I used to take my 96 Eagle Talon on this road with no problems at all. The Hard difficulty is a joke, even for hiking.

Also if your driving the road at night, be mindful of possible cars parked in the 2 tunnels with their lights off. Also dont worry, that powder on their hood is probebly flower, not cocaine.

off road driving

When I went, I made the mistake of staying on Gold Camp road after I left the trail access parking lot. While the Gold Camp road is very scenic, it is defiantly not rated as 'hard' by any means. I went looking for some challenging off-roading but I got stuck behind a Prius. There were a few vehicles blocking the road that I believe is depicted in the preview. What I should have driven on is High Dr. That road starts at the trail access parking lot, and I'm super bummed that I missed it. Maybe next time I'm up in the Springs area I'll try it again.

-J

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Saturday, May 21, 2016

This is not a hiking trail...you would get hit by a car or greeted by a mouth full of dirt if you tried to hike on this road. It's a beautiful drive though!!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Great scenery but basically just a dirt road. Saw a mustang cruise all the way through. Views are amazing, fun trail.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Beautiful drive around the mountains!