Goat Mountain Trail

Goat Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Littleton, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

NOTE: Dogs are not allowed in order to protect the bighorn sheep herds. A canyon road to a ridge trail leading to a south Denver overlook The first part is along the waterton canyon trail. As you walk look for some pipes that are about 20 ft in the air that cross the road to the north side. The steep trail starts under those pipes on the left side of the draw to the spur. This spur takes you to the ridge and then up to the peak. Near the top the trail fades in and out (call it a game trail), just keep on the ridge and head towards the mountain top. This is one of the most fun hikes in Southwest Denver. It is not well known, so you are not likely to encounter any other people on the hike. You will get great views of southwest Denver, and have a fun / challenging 1/2 day. This is not a particularly well marked trail, and there is some very steep and loose areas. Do not attempt unless you are an experienced hiker who is in good condition. This canyon is home to a large heard of bighorn sheep. Keep your eyes peeled, and you are likely to spot some.

Soooooo many false summits. So beautiful tho! Wear pants and watch for rattlesnakes! We saw one on the trail.

Very light traffic. Recommends long sleeves and full pants. Sunrise is little relief. Good for morning workouts but definitely not a worthy hike

Trail was dry. Physically demanding but the vegetation and views left something to be desired. This might improve as flowers start to bloom. very light traffic. Recommend wearing long pants and sleeves. The brush is stiff and overgrown.

Little traveled hike starts off to the north side of Waterton Canyon under the pipes. Fairly steep, great views. As people have said there are many false summits. The true summit is clearly marked by a metal pole with cans on the top. If you don't see this...look for more trail! At the base of this pole is a jar with notepad to sign your name. Enjoy the trail!

Great challenge with a few rock scrambles. Just as the others have stated, walk with the heard of people towards the lake, then turn right after the overhead pipes. After this, the trail is a fun challenge. Lots of sun with little shade. Wear long sleeves!

3/10/18. This was a fun but challenging hike. It begins off of the main rd. Under the pipes and to the right. There’s no signage. Then it continues to the slight left up a rocky incline. Trekking poles would be so helpful. Especially when descending. There was lots of soft dirt and loose rock. The trail was really easy to follow until you get near the top, but every time I was unsure there was a cairn left by a friendly hiker, so keep your eyes out for cairns. The way back was tricky. I was off path for a while which can be treacherous since it is very steep in parts. I had phone reception (ATT) luckily, so I could reference the map to see how far off I was. When coming down, it seemed easiest to follow to the left but I still got lost. It’s also very exposed and sunny. Beautiful views.

It was a very warm and sunny day for a hike (61 degrees March 4th!) so we warm the whole time! You are on the ridgeline the entire time so if you burn easily, I recommend sunscreen. The trail towards the summit starts right in between the two big pipes that run over your head on the Waterton Canyon Trail. It is very steep in some sections so I recommend going hands free at those times due to the incline! It was a great workout! The views were not particularly stellar, but still a great time spent outdoors! Happy hiking!

Great hike today. Be careful in the middle. Snow/ice covering some steep rocks. I didn’t put my traction on but probably should have for a bit at least. False summits are great. And there are several. Trail can be tough to follow in spots. Find the cans at the top then you’re there. I came out at 7.6 miles 2580’ elevation from the parking lot. Pretty interesting in spots. Was the only person on it. Did see the sheep on the way down.

I agree there were a lot of false summits. If you follow the cairns left by others, you will find your way. Three quarters of the way to the end you encounter a lot of snow. Wish I brought gloves. I got to a point where the cairns seemed to lead over a snow covered ledge. I saw no footprints and the way wasn’t clear, so I turned around. I’ll attempt again in warmer weather. Lots of loose rock and gravel made the hike down more treacherous than the climb up.

didn't make it today, just to the last false summit.

Loved the hike. It was strenuous but we'll worth it.

Recommend having trekking poles, and yak Trax this time of year. Also, recommend having a partner there's not a lot of traffic and some if the scrambles could make for a very bad day.

yes, plenty of false summits but the hike was great.

Nice trail. The first mile of flat hiking is a good warmup for the hill. I look forward to doing it again.

It is a great challenging climb. The beginning is very steep with loose rocks and dirt, but after that it’s not too bad. There are quite a few bushes that will scratch or cut you, so wear a long sleeve and pants. When you get closer to the top, it becomes very steep again, and you have to climb some rocks. FYI: some of the cairns are misleading near the top! We had to find our way up and who knows if we were on the trail or not. Going down is even worse as far as following the trail. We ended up going down on the wrong side of the mountain and trail-blazing our way across to the real trail. I’m an intermediate hiker with a bit of experience, and my friend was an out-of-shape, inexperienced hiker. We did just fine! Also, wear hiking boots; they have more grip and ankle support! Be wary of the toe and heel area though, for it is a steep trail for a good part of it. The view is smashing and there are big horn sheep up there. Have fun and good luck!

Views are incredible along the way. Plan for a long hike. Coming down was difficult and recommend poles as there’s a lot of loose rocks. About 6 false summits and can easily get off the trail. Keep an eye out for the cairns Great workout for the legs. Saw a herd of elk on the way too. Definitely wear long pants !

So many false summits!

Would be a five if it were called Sheep Mountain Trail JS

I've lived in Colorado for exactly one year and this was one of my favorites to date. Hiking in early November was ideal as there is a lot of exposure to the sun. The cool morning was perfect for the ascent. The trailhead is easy to find. You can't miss the massive water pipes that will pass over your head. Just turn right at the pipes and you'll see the trail. I was the only person on the trail, although there was plenty of traffic on the Waterton Canyon trail. There were several Bighorn Sheep to gawk at. They continued eating grass as I walked right past them.
The trail is steep and rocky in parts and fairly easy going in others. It gets steeper and rockier as you climb.
The views were spectacular. I was however slightly disappointed with the summit view because there are houses that become visible as you step up on the summit.
The descent was slow going in parts due to the loose rock and steep terrain. It is easy to get off the trail on the way down in the rocky areas where you lose sight of the well beaten path. Just look for the many cairns and stay on the top of the ridge. I had to backtrack once and built a cairn to help the next hiker.
The recommendation to wear hiking pants in other reviews was very good advice. I came out without a scratch as I pushed through the areas with thick brush.
I highly recommend this hike for someone that would like a little more of a challenge and seclusion.

It was storming in Boulder and points north - thought we could escape the rain to the south. The road at the base had lots of traffic - bikes and walkers, but on the trail we didn't see a sole. The hike starts BETWEEN the overhead water pipes to the RIGHT. Nice views going up to maybe first false peak, then we were in the clouds..light rain and snow fell most of this time - yes, we got wet - and it gave the whole experience an other worldly feel. Most of trail was easy to follow, but at the top there were cairns for navigation. Coming back we got seriously turned around and ended up at the summit again thinking it was another false peak! Visibility was not great, so i can't blame the markings... Very fun!

Those false summits will getcha. Very rewarding hike.

Eh, so so.

You have to suffer through a mile and a half of a gravel road before you get to the trailhead. But don't blink, it's unmarked. Once on the trail you basically have to billy goat your way up loose rocks.

On the plus side, you'll likely see big horn sheep. And the river is nice to walk along.

So much fun! Challenging climb that leads to great views! Saw a decapitated snake on the way, and unimaginably large swarms of lady bugs at the summit.

Great rewarding trail! The trail is pretty narrow and you have to wade through plant life several times. The views and overall fun it offers is well worth the hike. We did see two rattlesnakes, both of which I almost walked on top of so definitely watch out for those! Highly recommend though!

A great test of one's mettle. Super challenging hike that offers fantastic views. Lots of rock cairns to mark the trail. Even so we managed to get a little off course a couple times. BTW, Ben from the trail log - we beat your summit time by like 12 whole minutes. Take that! :)

good trail. in some parts it's tricky to know if your going on the right trail. Bring water and sunscreen. We had tracking poles and it was easier. Bring longer shorts, lots of plants and it will scratch you. It took us 6 hrs round trip because we got lost. The trail is lonely when we went.

Lost the trail several times, pants are a must unless you want to spend hours picking scrub out of your boots and socks. Turned around after several encounters with rattlers.

Great views

My first real hike and it was breath taking! An amazing work out with stunning views. We only came across one person, too, so it was very quiet. This hike seriously changed my life.

Monday, May 22, 2017

This trail is kindof hidden. More than a mile in, look for the two huge tan water pipes that go over the main Waterton Canyon Trail. On your right hand side you will see a trail that goes up underneath the pipes. That is the trail to Goat Mountain. There are many false summits on this trail, so just when you think you're about there, you go back down and up to another peak. Keep a close eye out for cairn rock markers as the trail is very hidden and even those are few and far between in parts. The trail is almost non-existent in parts and it's kindof a choose your own adventure in parts. I would actually suggest wearing pants even when it's hot out as the scrub oak is not forgiving and you do have to do some bushwhacking just to stay on the trail along with some bouldering. Rattlesnakes are abundant in the area, so be careful where you step and pay attention. You'll know you've reached Goat Mountain as it has a metal pole on top of it. There is also a log book you can sign inside a clear mason jar next to the pole. It took us about 5.5 hrs to hike, but we did take breaks and ate lunch up there. Still a demanding hike, not much shade, but beautiful views all around. Only saw 1 other person the whole day on the trail, so it's less traveled which we enjoyed. I'd do it again!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This trail will be a real son-of-a-gun if you're not used to scrambling and some light bushwhacking. The uphills are no joke either. Luckily some heroic hikers have made a whole slew of cairns to guide you up to the peak, where you'll get a good view of Denver. Look for lots of fun views of Waterton as you hike the ridges too. We did this in the spring and even then it was pretty hot, you might think twice before trying to tackle this in the summer. There is little to no cover.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

DEFINITELY wear ankle covering socks! My skill level is somewhere around intermediate, and this one definitely pushed me! The trail is easily lost on the final summit, but nice hikers have marked it. The views are gorgeous, but I do wish we'd seen some bighorns.

It took two of us about five hours out and back, with plenty of rest breaks. This is a great challenge.