Gill Trail

Gill Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sedalia, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fly fishing and is best used from April until January.

fly fishing

Directions from Bailey: Drive east from Bailey on Highway 285 to Pine Junction. Turn right (south) on to Jefferson County Road 126 and travel 21.9 miles from Pine Junction to reach the trailhead. the road is pavel the entire way. There is a small parking area on the north side of the road. If the lot is full park at Wigwam Campground, 1.3 miles west.

fly fishing

Great hike. A little confusing on where the trail actually is. We parked at the upper lot and hiked the stream all the way to the dam to the lower lot then hiked the dirt road back. Plenty of spot to rest along the stream to watch fisherman.

Sunset hike in February! The trail was well maintained but the trailhead was not named "Gill Trail" Instead, the winding dirt road (Wigwam Creek Rd) lead down to a parking lot with a sign for "Canyon Trailhead" If you follow the directions posted above it will take you right to the parking lot at the base of the lake. We were driving a sedan that struggled a bit with clearance to get in the parking lot.
The trail starts with a pretty rambunctious inclined switchback, winds around trees, and then drops to the river and the dam. Because the trail wraps around the side of foothills, you are able to see the lake and the surrounding peaks most of the hike. We hiked the out and back in 3 hours with multiple stops to take in the scenery and watch the sunset. The only way this hike would have been more pleasurable is if it went all the way around the lake!

Nice trail. Well maintained with signs throughout yet didn't see one person the whole hike. The trail starts with an incline, levels out, and goes to a decline to a really nice view of a dam and a River in a canyon if you go far down enough.

Great trail with gorgeous views of the lake, dam and Arkansas River. Trail is well maintained, although recent wind storm knocked a few trees onto it in a few spots. Hardly anyone was on the trail except for a handful of fly fishermen. Took my dogs and they loved it. Spotted two mountain goats up close too. Looking forward to going back.

One of the most beautiful hikes that my dog and I have ever done! We hiked along the trail until we got to the river below the dam then hiked/ rock hopped along the river. Such a fantastic way to spend the day!

This trail is great. I would say the "hard" rating is a bit much. But it is a lot of up and down but very manageable. You do have to take a dirt road to the trail head. Only a short distance and it's very passable in a car. Awesome views, trail leads to a canyon river below a dam.

Hiked this trail on an impromptu trip to Denver on the recommendation of some friends in the area. I found this to be an excellent day hike and not super challenging like the trail rating would lead you to believe. To put this in perspective I have a walking disability due to a stroke and had very few issues with this trail. The only one I had was where the trail narrows at higher elevation but that is probably due to my fear of heights. I would absolutely recommend this trail to anyone looking for a fun day hike!

fly fishing

The trail starts off with a moderate assent and levels out until you reach the river. Very vertical and a little sketchy to get down to the river, which is a little tight for fly fishing. Definitely saw the fish but had no luck. Great views of the Cheesman Dam (built in 1905) and reservoir. Easy to do in an afternoon; we hiked and fished in a couple of hours and made it back to Denver in time for some evening beers.

I don't recommend the middle third of Cheesman Canyon Trail to anyone! It is steep and full of loose gravel. Some areas have VERY narrow footing full of loose gravel on very steep rocky paths. I was truly terrified and have cuts and abrasions from hugging the hillside. A fall at one of these locations would be quite serious. The first third from the upper parking lot was safe and stunning but I would not recommend travel across the middle third. I didn't see the last third (the Gill portion) because we took the path up and over the mountains to the lower parking lot. It was safe but rigorous - took 2 hours.

Took the kids hiking on the Gill Trail up Cheesman Canyon from the lower parking lot. This hike was a little more than we expected for our children. The trail is not level, it climbs and descends several times with some steep drops offs to the river below. Very scenic hike with a lot of folks fly fishing the entire way. Unfortunately, we had to stop at the 'Peg Hole' as the trail became impassible for us with our 3 and 5 year olds do to the eroded trail with severe drops. We are going to complete the trail from the upper trailhead next weekend.