EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Georgia Pass 4x4 Road is a 19.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Jefferson, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

scenic driving

Backcountry shortcut from Jefferson to Breckenridge An interesting backcountry shortcut from town of Jefferson on Highway 285 to Breckenridge. The climb to the pass on the south side is an easy graded road. As you drop down the north side of the pass on Forest Road 355, it gets steeper and rougher, but there are no major obstacles. You'll eventually run into Tiger Road, which becomes paved and passes through an upscale residential area including Breckenridge Golf Course. A road that heads east from the pass goes to high point at top of Glacier Peak. Running north along the west side of Glacier Peak is a narrow shelf road that eventually leads to a difficult descent down an obstacle called "Number 10 Hill." Located in White River National Forest. For current conditions call Dillon Ranger District (970) 468-5400 Rating is based on a 2-mile stretch on the north side of the pass. OK for stock SUVs with low range unless snow covered. The trail may be impassable in the spring because of one wet area on the upper north side.

off road driving

Great ride most the way. Some points narrow to just a little more than a 4-wheeler. Need good clearance and good tires too. Stopping places to eat a packed meal are many, and beautiful. Summit is beautiful.
We also went on up from the GP summit to another trail which was good but a narrow road with a lot of steep drop offs for a good ways. Summit view there was wonderful too.

off road driving

I made it about halfway up from the North side, coming from Breckenridge, before I had to turn around. I drove through two water crossings before hitting a steep section with loose rock and slid about 20-30 feet downhill, backwards, into the water! Had good tires, but that doesn't mean anything when you are on loose rocks. It was pretty nerve racking but everything turned out okay and next time I may try it from Jefferson to Breckenridge - sounds a lot easier coming that way. The top of the pass is deeply rutted and a bone shaker - so I hear. I would suggest a good 4 wheel with adequate clearance. Make sure you wheel with a buddy in case something happens. Lots of great campsites!

off road driving

Went Aug. 11 from the Jefferson side. Regular dirt road 'til the top of the pass. pretty rocky the first mile and a half or so. A stock 4 x 4 can make. Just make good decisions over rocks. Good family trail. A couple geocache's to find. pond. lots flowers. drinks at marina. good times.

off road driving

Great day trip. North side is rough but the south side is not much more than a gravel road Trail markings on the north are good. Coming at it from the south is harder to find the road.

off road driving

We went up from Breck side using a quad ATV and it was an awesome trail. Pretty rocky in several places, but on an ATV it was very easy. I don’t see how these jeeps make it. Lol but we got up to the pass and it was beautiful! We couldn’t go down on the other side because it’s highway legal vehicles only. But we took a different way down and we were rewarded with being the only ones out there and breathtaking views. However, taking GH 258 down was very very very difficult near Road 6. Like, we had to get off the 4 wheeler and take one boulder at a time. But we made it and it was a blast.

off road driving

I started this trail from the Hwy 285 side at the beginning of March. I did not do this whole trail because unfortunately I got stuck and had to have help out. I have not been on this trail in the summer but with snow on the ground I would highly advise you consider what your vehicle is capable of and that you do not attempt it alone. With all that said I did about a 3 mile portion of the trail and loved it right up until I got stuck haha.

For reference I was in a stock Jeep JKU Rubicon Recon. Happy Wheeling!

off road driving

Had a great time going through it in a ram 1500 3 inch level kit and all terrain tires a bit challenging going down steep drops being wide also during sunset got dark quick but made it no problem took about 1:45 to complete trail.

off road driving

3 stars only because we didn't get to the top, or down the other side. We headed towards the pass from the Breck side and got within a half mile or so, and the road was still snow bound in places. It appeared like some went further than us, but I wasn't about to. Towards the top this road is only one lane for the most part too, and that is always sketchy when meeting someone coming the other way. It was bad enough backing up where I was to get turned around. The north side, which we were on, is really rocky the further you went. It does get steep too, the closer you get to the pass. I was in 4 high up until I turned around. I may try the south approach and see if I can get up. Was glad to be down and off that rocky road though, just didn't think it would be back the way we came!! Too early yet for my truck.

Friday, September 29, 2017