Gem Trail to Balanced Rock

Gem Trail to Balanced Rock is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until August. Horses are also able to use this trail.

great views all around. Past Jem lake to balanced rock hardly anyone around.

P.S. - The sign at the beginning said no horses.

Parking lot was pretty empty at 7:40am on a weekday. Only saw about 4 groups as I was headed up to Gem Lake. I had Gem Lake to myself for about 20 minutes! That's rare. Then I went on to Balanced Rock. Most of the way there is downhill from Gem Lake. I didn't see anyone on that part of the trail at all, until I reached Balanced Rock and there was one group there. It took me almost an hour to get to the Lake and then almost another hour to get to the Rock. Total round trip with picnic breaks was under 5 hours.

Views are great. Large parking lot that fills up quickly. Lots of traffic to/from gem lake, pretty much no traffic to/from balanced rock from gem lake.

Great trail; very well maintained. It's a decent climb up to the lake but not brutal. Also, there was considerable traffic on this part of the trail. The views on the way to the lake are remarkable. Once we passed the lake we had the trail to ourselves for the entirety of the out and back. Didn't see another soul between the lake, Balanced Rock, and back to the lake.

Saturday, June 27, 2015