Gem Lake Trail

Gem Lake Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from March until October.

Gem Lake is a great little hike with some awesome free views of Estes Park. The hike starts just outside of Estes up Devils Gulch Road. Turn on to Lumpy Ridge Road and park in the lot. $10 Parking Fee.

My wife and I hiked this trail in December. Spectacular views on the way up to the lake.

Great trail. There is only a little snow left on some parts of the trail. Very good views all the way up the trail.

Bring a snack for the end. Great place to sit and chill before heading back.

Great hike! Hiked in March and the weather was perfect. There were a couple patches of snow that were a little slick, but it was only like 100 feet. It's rated hard but I believe it was more moderate. Beautiful views and fun bouldering! Would highly recommend!

We almost wrote this one off because we initially wanted to do a longer one, but I'm glad we didn't. We're from sea level, so the high altitude here and elevation gain were enough to give us a kick in the pants and earn our beers tonight. The scenery looking back to Estes Park and the surrounding mountains was fantastic, so don't forget to turn around on occasion to check that out. And I loved the boulders and rock formations. There were a couple patches of snow/slush on the trail toward the top which were slick, but still doable in my worn out runners. Trekking poles would have been helpful, but not necessary. The lake itself was a bit underwhelming. Not sure Gem Lake is an apt name for it (it looked like lard to me), but maybe it's prettier in the summer. The views made it worth it, though!

Another beautiful trail with amazing views the whole way! Love this hike and I would probably rate it more moderate but I've lived in high altitude my whole life.

Excellent views! Not an easy hike if you are a beginner but totally worth it

Strenuous but good to burn calories for a beautiful view