Gem Lake Trail

Gem Lake Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from March until October.

Gem Lake is a great little hike with some awesome free views of Estes Park. The hike starts just outside of Estes up Devils Gulch Road. Turn on to Lumpy Ridge Road and park in the lot. $10 Parking Fee.

51 minutes ago

Definitely more moderate than hard

Pretty short trail with some good vertical gain. Absolutely gorgeous the whole way up- especially from above the lake. More "moderate" than "hard" IMO.

Beautiful

What a beautiful hike! Although I'm up for more of a challenge, this beautiful hike is worth checking out! I was pleased to find that it wasn't nearly as crowded as expected. If you can go over the week, I strongly suggest it. Btw, this should be rated moderate at most, definitely not hard!

Personally I thought the hike up was very challenging, but it isn't a long hike so I think with the proper breaks most anyone could make it up. As with many other hikes the beautiful area at the top was well worth the hard work. Also you will be able to enjoy beautiful views all the way up and back down. Do yourself a favor and complete this hike!

Great hike with some amazing views of Estes Park and Longs peak. Relatively steep, so make sure you're ready. But once you get up to Gem Lake you will realize the hike was worth it. The lake is beautiful. Strongly recommend this hike.

Great family friendly hike.

Such a great hike! The views are incredible and Gem Lake itself is really cool. I wouldn't call it super hard, but for new hikers it's not crazy easy. Great hike!

Enjoyable hike. We're a family of four including a 4-year-old and a 2-year old and were looking for a moderate trail do-able with small children during our visit to Rocky Mountain NP. This one seemed to pop up the most in our searches. While we did it without much problem, I will say it's much steeper than people let on and I don't know that I would recommend it for families with small children without some warnings about it's lenght and steepness. Having said that, our four-year-old made it just fine and was proud to tell everybody back home what she accomplished. Our two-year-old caught a ride in our child carrier for much of the hike. This trail wouldn't be a problem for adults and older kids though and has nice scenery. The lake at the top is small but scenic. Glad we did it!