Fourth of July Mine via Arapaho Pass Trail

Fourth of July Mine via Arapaho Pass Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The road to the trailhead is very rough, almost like a four wheel drive trail. The trail was well maintained and very nice, you do have to cross water though. The top was very windy, but so beautiful!

Had a wonderful hike but lots of people. The fall colors were amazing and I’m sure everyone had the same idea to view them. Parking is awful so get there early in the morning or later in the day around 2pm. Hike isn’t long so totally doable

Absolutely beautiful! There were lil steams on the way up that my dog could drink from. I took the Diamond Lake trail and it was amazing!! EVERYONE had their dogs on leash. I was shook.

I've been hiking this trail for over 30 years and was really sad to see how abused it has gotten in the last few years. It's a highly-used area and absolutely gorgeous. Therefore, we need to respect and PROTECT the land. Here's a few tips: 1) do not make or use shortcuts and avoid social trails (undesignated trails to look outs etc). If you just can't help yourself, please don't make these worse by not staying right on the dirt. If there is a log/fallen tree across a social trail, pls don't just step over it - this is the caretakers way of saying "pls don't go here." Similarly, uphill hikers have the right of way --So pls. STOP and step to the side of a wider part of the trail to let them pass. Pls. don't keep hiking and stepping on the side vegetation to give them room. This is a perfect opportunity to look up & appreciate this special place & only takes a few seconds. And GET MUDDY and keep on the harder/rocky parts of the trail. This trail used to be narrow and is now becoming alarmingly wideFollow the cairns (rock piles) near the top where there are boulders and be very mindful of staying on the designated trail rather than all the off-shoots (giving them a chance to recover) This trail used to be narrow and is now becoming alarmingly wide. Especially above tree line/tundra please please please STAY ON THE TRAIL - tundra is incredibly fragile & takes hundreds of years to recover from abuse. Our natural areas give us so so much and by doing some simple extra effort, we can show our appreciation and give back a little.

The road to the trailhead is quite rough and bumpy, would not be good in a small car. Get there earlier (7-8) to find parking. The trail is beautiful and very well maintained. There are some rocky areas and you do have to cross water. The views are stunning and the wildflowers are plenty. We passed people (and lots of dogs!) on the way up and back down, but not very crowded; though we went on a weekday, so maybe weekends are busier. This is definitely one of my favorite hikes!

This area is absolutely stunning, with plenty of waterfalls and majestic views all the way to the Pass. Parking is limited so if you are going to go, either get there early (around 7:00) or go after 1:00 for a closer parking spot.

The road to the trailhead was extremely rugged, but we made it fairly easy with a 4Runner. Narrow and rocky road. Definitely think about what truck you’ll drive if you want to hike this trail! Parking was not easy to find, and we got there at about 8am on a Sunday, but it was the weekend before the 4th of July. The trail was completely worth the driving and parking. The first portion is in the trees and you walk through some water and tiny streams, and there’s a decent sized waterfall you get to rock-hop across. The wildflowers were gorgeous this time of year, and it was very lush. Once we were past the trees and this sort of plateau, it’s a really rocky and windy hike up to the ridge, just before Lake Dorothy. We were glad we brought wind resistant jackets! Would love to do this trail again!

beautiful but busy and rough

Beautiful! Offers a variety of scenery from water falls to vast mountain views! Fairly busy for such an off road trail, but not so busy to stay away. Road to trailhead is a little rough. Plan on crossing some water!

Great trail with amazing views: Mountains, wildflowers, and some water

I loved the trail, but though it was more on the hard side. My three kids (12, 10 and 6) all did it too, but it was super hard for them a lot of the way. Beautiful views and lots of creek crossing. The four mile road up to the trailhead took some time. Tons of large rocks and huge potholes.

5/3/18
road still closed, lots of snow. 5 mile hike 1 way to trailhead.

7/2/2017
FAVORITE Hike with Samir, Ashley, Adam, and Riley

Gorgeous hike! We had plenty of snow. Yaktrax are a must this time of year. The road going up to the trailhead was a nice drive in a Jeep.

Hiked it in late October, and it was chilly and snowy, but lots of fun! Dress for winter with good boots!

Monday, August 14, 2017

This trail was phenomenal! Waterfalls, wild flowers, open fields with breathtaking views, and rocky trails are what you'll find :)

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Great hike! It was somewhat crowded on a Saturday and the parking is difficult. However, the views are incredible!

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

What a fabulous hike! The wild flowers and endless mountain views are the top features. There are also wonderful lakes, waterfalls, creeks, streams, and rock formations to enjoy. It's a rough road to get there but more than worth it.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

This is one of my favorite trails. The views are breathtaking, and the wildflowers are beautiful.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

By far my favorite hike I've done since moving to Colorado in October. Expect about a 20-30 min ride on a dirt road. Would be better to have 4 wheel drive but I did it in my car and was fine, and I wasn't the only one who did the drive with a car. Mountains, waterfalls, and wild flowers were all breath taking. Currently planning a camping trip on this trail. You reach the mine remains by taking Arapaho pass trail, it's right at the point where the trail heads toward Arapaho glacier trail.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

This is my favorite trail I've been on!!Fields of wildflowers, waterfalls, and then ending at a pristine lake. The trail is a challenge, I was exhausted at the end. Would be a great place to hike in and camp near the lake. VERY IMPORTANT: Highly recommend only going in if you have a SUV/high clearance. We took our Honda Civic which felt like cheating death. The road to the trail is several miles and is full of very large rocks and holes.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Amazing!!! One of the most beautiful trails I've done so far! The wild flowers were so colorful and amazing... the mountains and waterfalls were write home worthy!! Recommend for sure! My friend and I decided this would be our new 4th of July tradition! Get there early because parking was bad...also be prepared for 4 mile dirt road drive in... wouldn't recommend a car. SUV or 4x4 is the better way to go.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Just went up 4th of July weekend and there was only one small patch of snow on the trail, but plenty surrounding it. As you go deeper on the trail, it gets more and more beautiful. Mountains, lake, lots of wildflowers and waterfalls... what more can you want?! I was glad I had plenty of water and a snack on this trail, especially because of the altitude.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Difficult but well worth the energy!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

great hike, mix of dry, snow, and wet. more snow as you go, but the views are worth it.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Jordyn and others, how thick was the snow on the road up to the upper trailhead?

Monday, May 15, 2017

One of my favorite trails and one of the most beautiful in Colorado. Leads to summit two peaks, waterfalls on the trail, wildflowers everywhere!!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

The road to the trail is very rough, low profile small cars will have a hard time but should get up. great trail overall, beautiful views.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

The road back to the trail head was very rough, almost like a four wheel drive trail. The trail was well maintained and very nice, you do have to cross water though. The top was very windy and cold, but so beautiful!!!

Friday, July 22, 2016

Amazing view!!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Beautiful hike, lots of waterfalls and shade. Great for dogs and perfect amount of incline.