Fourth of July Mine via Arapaho Pass Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(176)
Roosevelt National Forest

Fourth of July Mine via Arapaho Pass Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,131 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The road to the trailhead is very rough, almost like a four wheel drive trail. The trail was well maintained and very nice, you do have to cross water though. The top can be very windy, but so beautiful!

Every part of this hike is so cool!

Only giving it four stars cause I lost my tree. There’s a small mason jar on the way up to the 4th of July trailhead. Within an hour of walking up. All organic living soil, it’s cherished dearly, happy hunting! If you find it, please enjoy!

This was a great hike. I got there a little later than I planned because signs indicated parking was full and to turn back, but after waiting a while for the shuttle and not seeing one, i drove to the trailhead and there was plenty of parking. Road was very rough coming in, i was in an f250 but minivans were there also. Trail is nice in the shade in the beginning with a few rocky patches but also some nice waterfalls. About half to a third of the way it flattens out to let you catch your breath for the last portion which was the hardest. All rocks and the elevation had me breathing a little extra. It’s definitely worth it at the top, beautiful views and great lake for a lunch spot. Including staying up for about 20 min I managed to round trip at 3 hr 45 min.

We did the trail to diamond lake, very pretty, feels like a workout. About 3.5 hrs in and out. The drive up is rocky with pot holes... a SUV would be a better option.

Heed the description of the drive in. The last half hour to the trailhead is really rough (I was in a newish Subaru outback) and the parking lot was almost completely full today, even during consistent rains. Along with that, the trail was decently crowded today despite the rain. The trail itself was well maintained and beautiful - definitely worth a stop if you have the right vehicle.

AMAZING! I hiked on 8/2/19 and it was incredible. Quickly became my favorite hike since living in Colorado. The wildflowers and views were breathtaking. Flowers everywhere. So amazing. I got to the trailhead at 8:30am and it was not full which surprised me. I was worried I would be out of luck with parking. The trail is pretty wet. A lot of walking through or crossing streams. Some people had on tennis shoes, but I would highly recommend something sturdy and waterproof. The trail wasn’t too crowded. A few larger groups, but it didn’t feel packed. But, go early. There were people coming up when I was coming down around 12 and they were walking straight into an afternoon storm. Not a hard hike, but it’s a steady incline up the whole time which can be tiring after a while. Once you’re at the mine, you have the option of continuing to Arapahoe pass or Araphaoe glacier. I went up to the pass at it was beautiful! Very windy and cold, and the trail up is very rocky, which I didn’t love. Still worth it and very beautiful views. Would love to go up on a clear day.

Got to the 4th of July trailhead at 7:00 on a Sunday and got one of the last spots. The dirt road up there is rough in places so a high clearance vehicle is recommended.Trails up were moderate, and even the off trail at the end was just on tundra and not hard. Fantastic views from the top of Arapahoe glacier and the frozen lake below it. Also great views of the continual divide and some out onto the plains. Saw lots of marmots, picas, and wildfowers.

I suggest this trail to anyone looking for those epic mountain views. Streams run through the trail every so often, perfect for my pup to get some water. The trail is partially wooded, making it a relief from the summer sun. There are amazing views snow capped mountains in the distance and wildflowers at your feet. Definitely one of the most magical trails! Be ready for afternoon thunderstorms in the summer though! (I did this hike last year 2018- I heard it’s washed out and messy this year due to snow).

Hiked this morning (6/30). Road in is bumpy but almost entirely dry. After the split to Diamond Lake there are patches of snow and lots of water runs over the trail. We were happy to have microspikes but most others didn't. Great views.

Hiked the trail yesterday Lots of blowing snow and temperature at 32 degrees mid afternoon. Lots of mud and water draining down the middle of the trail. Still a lot of snow and very slippery.

Wed Jan 09 2019

Question: Is this trail accessible/recommended in the winter for snowshoeing?

Mon Nov 12 2018

We did it about a month ago! One of my favorites! Loved the colorful fall trees! Definitely a "MUST do" in fall.

Sat Oct 27 2018

Beautiful hike!! I have hiked this trail a few times, it never gets old! Great views any time of year! Slightly challenging to get to the lake without snow shoes in early may! I would recommend getting there early as parking gets tight if you arrive after 9am, especially on a weekend. The road to the trail head is rugged, an off-roading vehicle or one with higher clearance is best.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Had a wonderful hike but lots of people. The fall colors were amazing and I’m sure everyone had the same idea to view them. Parking is awful so get there early in the morning or later in the day around 2pm. Hike isn’t long so totally doable

Tue Aug 14 2018

Absolutely beautiful! There were lil steams on the way up that my dog could drink from. I took the Diamond Lake trail and it was amazing!! EVERYONE had their dogs on leash. I was shook.

Tue Jul 24 2018

I've been hiking this trail for over 30 years and was really sad to see how abused it has gotten in the last few years. It's a highly-used area and absolutely gorgeous. Therefore, we need to respect and PROTECT the land. Here's a few tips: 1) do not make or use shortcuts and avoid social trails (undesignated trails to look outs etc). If you just can't help yourself, please don't make these worse by not staying right on the dirt. If there is a log/fallen tree across a social trail, pls don't just step over it - this is the caretakers way of saying "pls don't go here." Similarly, uphill hikers have the right of way --So pls. STOP and step to the side of a wider part of the trail to let them pass. Pls. don't keep hiking and stepping on the side vegetation to give them room. This is a perfect opportunity to look up & appreciate this special place & only takes a few seconds. And GET MUDDY and keep on the harder/rocky parts of the trail. This trail used to be narrow and is now becoming alarmingly wideFollow the cairns (rock piles) near the top where there are boulders and be very mindful of staying on the designated trail rather than all the off-shoots (giving them a chance to recover) This trail used to be narrow and is now becoming alarmingly wide. Especially above tree line/tundra please please please STAY ON THE TRAIL - tundra is incredibly fragile & takes hundreds of years to recover from abuse. Our natural areas give us so so much and by doing some simple extra effort, we can show our appreciation and give back a little.

Fri Jul 13 2018

The road to the trailhead is quite rough and bumpy, would not be good in a small car. Get there earlier (7-8) to find parking. The trail is beautiful and very well maintained. There are some rocky areas and you do have to cross water. The views are stunning and the wildflowers are plenty. We passed people (and lots of dogs!) on the way up and back down, but not very crowded; though we went on a weekday, so maybe weekends are busier. This is definitely one of my favorite hikes!

Thu Jul 12 2018

This area is absolutely stunning, with plenty of waterfalls and majestic views all the way to the Pass. Parking is limited so if you are going to go, either get there early (around 7:00) or go after 1:00 for a closer parking spot.

Thu Jul 05 2018

The road to the trailhead was extremely rugged, but we made it fairly easy with a 4Runner. Narrow and rocky road. Definitely think about what truck you’ll drive if you want to hike this trail! Parking was not easy to find, and we got there at about 8am on a Sunday, but it was the weekend before the 4th of July. The trail was completely worth the driving and parking. The first portion is in the trees and you walk through some water and tiny streams, and there’s a decent sized waterfall you get to rock-hop across. The wildflowers were gorgeous this time of year, and it was very lush. Once we were past the trees and this sort of plateau, it’s a really rocky and windy hike up to the ridge, just before Lake Dorothy. We were glad we brought wind resistant jackets! Would love to do this trail again!

Mon Jul 02 2018

beautiful but busy and rough

Sat Jun 30 2018

Beautiful! Offers a variety of scenery from water falls to vast mountain views! Fairly busy for such an off road trail, but not so busy to stay away. Road to trailhead is a little rough. Plan on crossing some water!

Sun Jun 24 2018

Great trail with amazing views: Mountains, wildflowers, and some water

Wed Jun 13 2018

I loved the trail, but though it was more on the hard side. My three kids (12, 10 and 6) all did it too, but it was super hard for them a lot of the way. Beautiful views and lots of creek crossing. The four mile road up to the trailhead took some time. Tons of large rocks and huge potholes.

Fri May 04 2018

5/3/18 road still closed, lots of snow. 5 mile hike 1 way to trailhead.

Thu Jan 04 2018