Fourmile Falls Trail

Fourmile Falls Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pagosa Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and horses. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Camping in the wild at your own risk... Bears in the area, so hang your food high and away from the camp ground . The stream keeps your beer/wine ice and cold ;-)

The road to the Fourmile Trailhead is closed right now. To get to the trailhead is a 5 mile 'hike' up the gravel road.

Having done this trail several times, I find this a great trail for me and my fellow flat landers. The views are great and the peaks are a great hike!

Our group of four ladies ages 60+ took on this trail today. We did not get to complete the whole thing. We weren’t even sure we went right way. We made our own trails and part of it because of the snow. We had a fabulous time though definitely a Moderate trail. Did not make it to falls. Had this whole trail to her self today. Ha ha! Roads up to there are definitely still snow-covered.

Great trail! We did this on New Years Day with our dogs. We made it out and back in around 4 hrs with stops and hanging at the frozen falls for a bit. Saw a lot more people than I expected. The scenery more than made up for it though. Very nice trailhead and maintained great. Highly recommended.

Hiked this trail with a group of friends in mid-October. A few too many hills to be rated easy, so moderate is a good rating. Beautiful scenery with fall colors, and the waterfall at the end is worth it.

Solid 4 star hike. Very pretty views along the way and a good mix of open space and forest. Lots of little hills going up and down. Until you get close to the falls, when it starts getting really steep. The way back was actually more work because there was more uphill that way so be prepared!

awesome scenic trail. easy hike to see the falls. Colorado back country at its finest!!!

It's definitely more than 5.5 miles. But it was a beautiful trail

Hiked this trail in late August and it was very nice. The trail head is labeled "Fourmile Stock Trail" but it is the waterfall trail. Beautiful views of steep peaks and walking thru meadows were great. As you approach the falls you can see a double fall cascading off the mountain. That is not the destination falls but it is accessible from the base of Fourmile falls. There is a small trail leading up a very steep slope just before you reach the end. There is a small carne off to the right of the main trail. Scramble up and across a steep ridge for a better look at the top of the double falls. Even if you don't do the last bit to see the double. The falls are tall, wispy and wonderful. Enjoy!

The weather was horrible but the views of the waterfall and meadows were beautiful. Temp got down to 50 so be prepared for rain and cool weather. The waterfall is a great place to picnic. We did an afternoon hike.

Pretty cool trail that offers some great views of cliffs and peaks above Pagosa Springs. There's a few hills that will get you winded if you don't stop. The road to the trailhead takes you about 30 minutes north of downtown up a well maintained county road.

Very nice hike. There are flat, open areas. But also, some inclines/descents that got my heartrate going! A lot of horseflies when we went. Weren't really able to sit and enjoy an area or a picnic because of the flies. We did almost 6 miles round trip, and never got near the falls. But still a very lovely, enjoyable hike.

Bring lots of water. I drank almost 3L. We started later than I would have liked but we drove for several hours to get there. The falls at the end are worth it.

Beautiful falls but steep on the way in (downhill) and then steep to get up to the falls. Bring lots of water. There are sections through a lovely meadow that get hot on a sunny summer day.

Distance: Closer to 6.5 than 5.5 round trip based on my Garmin. we did pass a few people on the way back who were contemplating not finishing it to the falls because it was "longer than we thought",

Kid friendly. We hiked with our 5 kids, youngest is 6, and he did fine - but you have to be patient. There are a lot of long "flat" sections with only a few steep sections which aren't very long. It makes the actual elevation gain seem less than it is.

Views: There are some wild-flowers in bloom but a lot more getting close -the meadows will be incredible in a couple weeks. You can start to see the north face falls about a 1/2 mile before you hit the actual base of the western falls. Once you can see the western falls don't stop - its about 400m farther to get closer to the base and it gives you such a great view and appreciation for how high the falls actually are.

Great trail, with 2 waterfalls to be seen. We went 3 miles to the base of Fourmile Falls and from the map , it appears you can continue on another 1.5 miles to the Upper Creek Falls. We stopped at the base of Fourmile Falls, and had no issue at all with fallen trees. It looked like someone had come through and recently chainsawed the trail clear. The two waterfalls and the surrounding peaks make this a special hike.

Beautiful trail! Be prepared to navigate around many trees that have fallen on the trail...lots of going under or over them. Great hike!

Great hike! Roughly 4 miles each way. Lots of fallen trees that you have to navigate and need to cross the creek a couple of times. Beautiful views the whole way and the falls are incredible.

About a mile in the trail split and everyone we met came from the right and said you couldn't cross the flowing river and were headed back. My wife and I were determined to cross so we went down stream 1/4 mile and made it across and re connected to the trail and hiked for 2 hours and never found the falls. Only to find out the next day that the falls were the trail to the left. A sign would be helpful for novice hikers like my wife and I. It was a beautiful hike with a lot of trees down on the second half of our hike. Weather was perfect and the river we waded thru was nice and cold.

great hike... be mindful of the trail. many felled trees to climb over and can be easy to lose the trail. the falls are beautiful and worth the hike.

I know we are at the beginning of the season so they have not yet gone in to clear the path... we had to really focus on finding the trail lots of trees down and the trail is blocked in certain areas. I enjoyed climbing over the trees and balancing on stumps to cross over creeks it made it a lot harder than I thought it would be. we were the only ones on the trail which made it nice.. i tracked 4 miles to get to the falls

make sure you wear proper hiking shoes because this trail includes hiking over large trees, snow, water... I would also where long pants as my legs were all cut up from dead branches

Saturday, March 11, 2017

One of my favorites, as I and bring company here when they visit. My only recommendation is to start early in the morning. Colorado tends to get afternoon showers and thunderstorms that bring lightening. This is NOT were you want to be when the thunder clouds roll in!

Friday, December 30, 2016

Beautiful hike but be mindful of how much water you bring. We passed a couple groups that were out of water not even halfway into the hike. The trail got a little confusing near the falls so pay attention.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Like others have said the first mile can be kind of uneventful but shortly after begins to be more of a challenge. We ended up taking the wrong path near the falls and had to backtrack so pay close attention when you hit the stream crossing. Bring plenty of fluids, I drank a small lake on the way in for some reason and don't think I could of comfortably made it back without dunking in the cold waterfall.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

This is a challenging trail only because you have to be constantly alert not to roll your ankles on the myriad of loose rocks going down hill.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

I have posted this several times and although I have 3 stars highlighted when I save it then it marks it four or five stars. I then delete the review and re paste my review and it still rates it higher. So, just know my stars are 3-average.

The first hour in was not that pretty with many diseased trees with moss. There were not many views and the trail was rocky. Then it was prettier with more evergreens and brush and views of the mountains. The waterfalls didn't have a lot of volume in September. There were a few meadows with flowers that I think would be full of pretty wildflowers in the right season.

We had great weather and we were glad we went, but I wouldn't hike this trail again nor recommend it to my friends.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Favorite hike on a 2 week road trip through Colorado.

For 6.5 miles, we only saw one other couple. I was glad to have my bear bell and spray.

The trail is up and down, through the forest with many open meadows. The waterfall at the end is a wonderful resting point. Bring layers as it got colder the deeper we got into the woods.

Heads up that the drive from Pagosa Springs (turn by the subway on to the gravel road) is about 30 minutes to the trailhead.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Perfect trail with beautiful falls. Parking area well maintained with restrooms. long dirt road to get to trail head. trail was well marked and river running next to it with beautiful scenery and wild raspberries! Just the right amount of challenge to make it a moderate hike.