Four Pass Loop

Four Pass Loop is a 25.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hey Tony.. Where you able to cross the West Maroon Pass, heard there was too much snow still there

Such a fantastic loop. Killer views, lakes, meadows, fun stuff. Bring bug repellent for the lake side campsites.
Some of the trail was under snow but it was pretty clear where others had passed. Porcupines are large!

geocaching

My buddy and I just did this over the last three days (two nights). This was without a doubt the hardest trip I've ever done. We're both ultra marathoners, experienced backpackers, and in all around good shape but this was brutal. We went in early June and dealt with a ton of snow. The trail was visible less than 5% of the time and we did a ton of overlanding. Without GPS this would have been a disaster. Overall I would not recommend this trip in the snow unless you are 100% prepared and have snow shoes. The scenery is incredible but it was so intense and extreme that I did not feel safe. For context there was so much snow that we regularly had to climb on all fours and we had to slide down the passes on our packs just to keep under control. This trip would be amazing in warm weather but do not do this in a ton of snow unless you are prepared and have the requisite skills and experience. This is a 5/5 trip, but a soul crushing one especially if you keep the sub 50 hour pace that we did.

Excellent trail; I'm intent on finishing it this year. In May/June, there's greater risk of melting snow on the trail at depths of 3-12 feet, making collapses of snow surface a nuisance. That's what turned us back...recommend July or later to avoid residual snow. Easily the most beautiful place on this earth.

Pack ultralight and leave the el cheap-o heavy gear in the garage. You'll need hiking poles and water purification.

I've done this loop three times. I did a solo trip in two nights, which was hard. The first night I went over West Maroon and Frigid Air passes - about 11 miles and ascending 3,500 feet. Next two days were easier, but still big days. The scenery is amazing. Use hiking poles. On my last trip, my new son-in-law, the 2-time All-American water polo guy, wished he had poles. Think hard about how much weight you will take. Snow will be in the passes until the end of June most years. Unless you are a very fit person, you should probably allocate 3 nights for this loop. If you are not reasonably fit, don't even try it. This is an epic trip, but be ready for a serious challenge.

Great 2-3 day hike. We had poor weather but it was still worth every step. Each pass has its own unique beauty. Our group hikes often and would consider this moderate for the well conditioned.

I did this trail as my first solo backpacking trip. It could definitely be done in 2 nights 3 days, but I chose to enjoy my time and did 3 nights 4 days. I was so thankful the weather was gorgeous for the first three days. The scenery was breathtaking and the trail was challenging, especially before each pass. I went in the beginning of September last year and there were quite a few other backpackers and some trail runners, but I had plenty of time to just enjoy myself in the presence of just mother nature. I highly recommend this trail to anyone looking for an adventure filled with life's beauty!!

One of my favorite loops. We did it as a really fast overnight at the end of August. Take your time and enjoy the hike.
Only ran into a couple people early on and then didn't see anyone until we got back to the trailhead. Going to head up there again this July to try and catch The wildflowers. ****I've read the forest service is looking at implementing a backcountry permit system in the next year 2.

tried to do backpacking in 2 days with friends in October. The trail was very slippery right after snow and we didn't make it through. But the views are spectacular, and will try it this year again...

Popularly rated as one of the most spectacular hikes in America, this circuit is perfect for backpacking. A friend and I attempted to do this as a 2 day (1 night) backpacker, but due to inclement weather got pushed to a 2 night (slightly over 48 hr) finish. Thunderstorms at 12000+ ft are not to be trifled with. Picture perfect from start to finish, this loop features ever wildly changing scenery to keep even hikers with the shortest of attention spans interested.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015