Fountain Valley Loop Trail

Fountain Valley Loop Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Littleton, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 324 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

No Dogs and no Bikes allowed. There is a $7 entrance fee to access the park. Most wheelchairs can ride the Fountain Valley Trail with little or no difficulty during good weather conditions. Trail is not paved. Comments: The Fountain Valley Trail is a 2.3 mile loop that winds through the Fountain and Lyons rock formations with a moderate change in elevation. This self-guided hike takes you through some of the most magnificent land in the park. The trail winds through several different habitats for plants and animals, including mule deer, fox and a variety of birds. You may see a golden eagle soaring over the hogback hunting small mammals, snakes or birds. At the top of the loop are buildings built by Henry S. Persse at the turn of the century. Persse used Roxborough as a summer home and hoped to develop the land into a resort. Hiking time is approximately one and one-half to two hours.

icy

I hiked this with my class of middle school students and we loved it! The trail was mostly covered in snow, making walking a little more difficult. That said, it was worth it to see these landscapes coated in a white blanket. On top of that, it made it easier to see animal tracks. We saw around 20 mule deer on the east side of the loop. Make sure you visit both overlooks- well worth it!

fee

Hiked the trail today with two of my daughters (11 & 8). It was a beautiful day around 55 and sunny off and on. Still some snow on the trail from last week’s storm, which made things a bit muddy, but very manageable. This is a great trail to do with kids, and it wasn’t too crowded today. Roxborough is an amazing place and if you haven’t seen it you should definitely plan a trip at some point.

fee

Trail is very well maintained and in great condition. It’s packed gravel and we saw multiple strollers moving with ease. The elevation changes are very gradual so nothing strenuous about it. The Lyons overlook is very great. Trail winds along through the red rocks. Saw lots of deer on the drive from the entrance to the parking

fee

If you’re looking for an easy hike close to Denver (esp Littleton) in a beautiful red rock setting - this is the perfect hike. The trails are super well maintained so wheelchairs and strollers will have no problem. There were quite a few people out but I hiked by myself 66% of the time. Not bad for being so beautiful and convenient. I like this way better than Red Rocks.

Great trail! Many beautiful views of the rocks, with a few overlooks. I went during the week and pretty much had it to myself. I saw tons of deer too!

Nice easy trail with beautiful views. Heavy traffic

Great graveled trail. Easy for out-of-towners, kids, or older people. Lyons overlook is worth the walk, but beware, we saw a rattle snake right off the trail on the way to the overlook.

Beautiful views! Nice little easy trail. Be sure to check out the Lyons overlook.

Very nice trail! The rock formations are amazing, and it is very kid friendly, we had a great time!

A great view and no shade. better to go early!

A great easy hike. Trail is well maintained, and the elevation changes are gradual. Did both overlook spurs and finished in just over an hour. Park entrance fee is $8, FYI.

Fairly new to hiking at CO elevation and I would rate this on the challenging side of easy or the soft side of moderate. A lot of really varied nature and foliage and the rocks are pretty amazing. Did both overlooks and the hike clocked in at 2.4 miles in just over an hour. Limited shade, so best early in the morning in summer.

My wife and I did it this morning. I’m over 60 and not in athletic shape. We did the trail and both overlooks in about 2 1/2 hours. The Roxborough map show both overlooks adding about 2 miles. Very scenic yet the altitude Change. Caught up to us out of shape ones. Going to try to get a second trip back this week and redo it.

Beautiful loop trail about 2 miles long, very easy. It’s a beautiful walk with lots of plants and great views. We went on a Saturday at noon, not high trafficked. Would do again for an easy morning walk!

Some good views and wildflowers everywhere. Otherwise a rather underwhelming trail.

Fun trail, easy for adults and my 7 & 5 year old. 2 miles is about their limit so was perfect length for us. One spot takes you through a shady marshy area where we were swarmed by mosquitos, so wear your bug spray! Nice views, easy to find, & parking was good.

Really easy, flat trail with GORGEOUS rock formations. Definitely direct sunlight the entire time so would recommend getting an early morning/ evening start!

Easy Trail, wide path, cool views

Nice path for purple looking for smooth wide trails. Had some great rock formations. Nice for kids and visitors.

Easy short hike, I did it alone this morning and it's a safe area for someone who is traveling alone. $8 day pass. Its good for beginners. I saw a rattlesnake on the trail and a snail? Slug?

Nice mellow trail. Not too heavily trafficked. A couple of summer camps, but enough space to have distance and room between everyone. We went midweek. Didn’t see any rattle snakes, although there were signs and notes from others at the visitor center that they had encounters. Self pay kiosk wasn’t working so happy we brought the $8 to put in an envelope to get in.

really easy, wide, smooth trail with nice views. went around noon and had no issue finding parking. love the self-pay kiosk - no cash needed!

Beautiful landscapes to take pictures of with really cool rock formation backgrounds! Lots of wildlife to observe as well. We saw lots of deer prancing around very close to us on the trail!