Forgotten Valley

Forgotten Valley is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Windy Peak lived up to its name on 10/7/17. This was our second time doing Forgotten Valley. We hoped to catch the large aspen grove’s color change but were too late as most leaves had already fallen off. Still, a decent-length hike with some good ascents. The view from Windy Peak is a nice payoff.

FYI, if you bring a vehicle and want to park at the base of the trail(s), you'll have to pay $7 for a day pass.

We arrived early and spend a few hours hiking, taking our time and going off trail here and there to enjoy the views. There was plenty of wildlife and few people on the trail before 10am. The "lake" is more of a large pond with fish and seaweed, but is still serene if you're there alone.

The weather changes on a dime the higher you go, so bring layers and something to put them in because you'll be hot and cold!

Pictures are misleading, but it was a decent hike.

Have to go through Burro trail. I was hoping to have river creek through out the trail or at least in spots but after first .5 miles of trail it's all pretty dry trail. I think it should be rated moderate instead of easy. I returned from half way was hot and had two huskies .... I would go back without my dogs someday.