Fooses Creek Trail

Fooses Creek Trail is a 16.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salida, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From US Hwy 50, take CR-225 south for 2.5 miles to the trail head. There is parking at the trail head.

GPS watch showed about 12 miles out and back from the trailhead. Loved the patches of snow towards the top of the trail! The shade and the beautiful views made it a great hike. It took us 6.5 hours to complete.

Great running and hiking trail. Maintained extremely well. Drive to the trailhead (4x4 just to be safe but not needed) and save the 2 mile road walk from the reservoir for more hiking on the single track.
Deep snow one mile from the top (late May 2018).
It’s gorgeous in the afternoon

Great hike with easy access from Salida. We went up as far as the third bridge today and it was a mix of light snow cover and semi wet. Beyond that snow got a bit heavier and looked like snow shoes would be the way to go. The drive to the trail head is fine. Everyone agreed the hike was beautiful and we'll be back when it opens up further this spring.

Beautiful fall hike. Most of the leaves had dropped recently which left a carpet of gold on the trail in some places. Parked at the trailhead..my 4x4 truck made it fine. Hiked to the 3rd bridge. Wanted to keep going but I was limited by time. There wasn’t another sole around except for a few mountain bikers on the road.

Beautiful trail with Aspens changing color. If you follow the directions in AllTrails and park off Hwy 50, it is a 3 mile hike to the trailhead. The walk is nice through the forest, but it cut our hike short due to a change in weather shortly after we reached the trailhead. Higher clearance vehicles can be helpful in a few spots along the road off past the dam - plenty of parking at the trailhead.

Didn't do but a couple miles and then back. Just checking out on my last day in the area. Will be back for more.

Beautiful trail on the easier side of moderate. We parked near the dam because we weren't sure there was room at the trailhead for our long truck. Turns out there was plenty of room - stock SUVs and trucks should have no problem going all the way to the trailhead. Very pretty trail through aspens and pine forest, much of it following the creek.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Sure a nice trail. However, we went hiking and could only find our way by following the ski tracks in the snow. It was too early for hiking and too late for skiing. Summer or winter would be our recommendation; unless you want to post hole and guess where you are going. Try this one after the end of May; depending on annual snow load.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Nice trail for snowshoeing.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

I got a late start and parked my car down by Fooses Reservoir (where many people were fishing). I wish I had brought my pickup to skip over the first 2 miles of road, which was really boring. Another guide book of mine said you needed a lifted 4WD to make it all the way to the trailhead 2 miles up this road, so I didn't bother. However, it seemed like normal trucks and SUV's could make it up okay (with some skill). I wanted to make it to the meadow (about 2 miles in from the trailhead) before turning around, but I turned around after 1 mile when I encountered a moose in a beaver pond, which was a little scary because we couldn't see each other well, and I didn't know if there was a calf nearby. I figured that was a good place to stop, making my hike about 6 miles total. I want to go back and go farther in for sure! Beautiful creek. I can see why this trail is epic for mountain bikers doing the Monarch Crest area. I may go back in a couple weeks during peak colors.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Beautiful hike into the Aspens. Right by the creek. It makes such a difference to have water running nearby!

Sunday, July 24, 2016