Fooses Creek Trail

Fooses Creek Trail is a 16.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salida, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From US Hwy 50, take CR-225 south for 2.5 miles to the trail head. There is parking at the trail head.

Sure a nice trail. However, we went hiking and could only find our way by following the ski tracks in the snow. It was too early for hiking and too late for skiing. Summer or winter would be our recommendation; unless you want to post hole and guess where you are going. Try this one after the end of May; depending on annual snow load.

Nice trail for snowshoeing.

I got a late start and parked my car down by Fooses Reservoir (where many people were fishing). I wish I had brought my pickup to skip over the first 2 miles of road, which was really boring. Another guide book of mine said you needed a lifted 4WD to make it all the way to the trailhead 2 miles up this road, so I didn't bother. However, it seemed like normal trucks and SUV's could make it up okay (with some skill). I wanted to make it to the meadow (about 2 miles in from the trailhead) before turning around, but I turned around after 1 mile when I encountered a moose in a beaver pond, which was a little scary because we couldn't see each other well, and I didn't know if there was a calf nearby. I figured that was a good place to stop, making my hike about 6 miles total. I want to go back and go farther in for sure! Beautiful creek. I can see why this trail is epic for mountain bikers doing the Monarch Crest area. I may go back in a couple weeks during peak colors.

Beautiful hike into the Aspens. Right by the creek. It makes such a difference to have water running nearby!