Flattop Mountain Trail

Flattop Mountain Trail is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Directions from Estes Park: Follow Hwy 34 west past the Beaver Meadows Entrance Station to Bear Lake Road. Follow this road to the parking area for the shuttle bus to Bear Lake. The trailhead is located at the end of Bear Lake Road.

Pretty neat trail. We didn't see many people out there - especially the farther we got into hike. We hiked up and trail ran down; great run, quite technical though. Beautiful scenery - ran into a couple deer and some critters. Definitely go to the end of trail and up to scenic lookout area. Incredible views!! Would go again.

Pretty difficult climb.. depending on your pace I guess. The tree line only covers about half the climb.. after that you'll be exposed to high winds. When I went up yesterday.. there was about a 20 degree difference between the bottom and top. With the added winds it was pretty cold at the top. Didn't go to Hallet because it was covered in clouds.. which of course burned off after I started my descent. A little bit of a later start may increase your chances of a clear Hallet and a bit warmer conditions. The views though.. amazing!

Bit of a steep climb, so be prepared for that. Get there early so that you can get parking at bear lake and beat the thunderstorms. Overall one of the best hikes I have ever done. make sure to try going to hallett peak from their, because the view up there is amazing.

I made it!!!

Hiked this trail 3 days ago
Great trail not supper hard
Should do hallet while your there
Worth the extra effort

Difficult switchbacks beginning at the Bear Lake trailhead. Start early as you're pretty exposed one you get past the timberline. Avoid afternoon storms and get to trailhead early for parking. Beautiful views of Longs Peak throughout the hike, and when you get up there, you might as well proceed onto Hallett Peak.

This is a great trail. I hiked it as part of a larger 45 mile loop in RMNP. Here is the trip report with pictures: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com/trip-reports/rocky-mountain-national-park/

An amazing hike with even more amazing views. Start early to get parking. We got there at 7:30 and barely got a space. I would also say it is moderately busy, but we went on a weekday. Definitely my favorite hike at RMNP so far.

Great day hike with fantastic views. Lots of wildflowers. Snow field below summit was easily passable with hiking boots.

Loved this hike. Challenging to the top of the tree line and then still work to do. A little bit of everything...woods, elevation change (a lot), snow (even in July) and beautiful scenery at the top. Take a minute to enjoy the view down into Emerald Lake on the way up. Beautiful.

Best hike of all trips to RMNP