Flattop Mountain Trail

Flattop Mountain Trail is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Directions from Estes Park: Follow Hwy 34 west past the Beaver Meadows Entrance Station to Bear Lake Road. Follow this road to the parking area for the shuttle bus to Bear Lake. The trailhead is located at the end of Bear Lake Road.

Amazing views!!! It was really hard to follow the trail at times. Pay attention to the foot trails in the snow. There are cairns along some of the way. I would definitely do this one again. I didn't make it to Hallett Peak. It was extremely windy and I was pressed for time but I will have to one day.

Pretty nice. We were the only ones on the trail (started ten till five am) be advised, I'm pretty sure the hitching post is NOT the top. It continues another few hundred feet higher and THEN flattens out. I overpacked preparing for colder temps....it was like 90 degrees and I baked! In the sun! I do recommend crampons tallied up about two miles of snow to track through and trekking poles. My pregnant wife (seven months)did this trail and made it to Tyndall glacier. Super awesome. Because we went slow it took us over eight hours (and lots of breaks for her) to get back to bear lake. Trail traffic did pick up between 10-1130 am well come back eventually so I can hit up hallets and Andrews glacier

Wonderful trail, probably my favorite in RMNP. Amazing vistas and allows you to experience 3 different ecosystems. Highly recommend. Snow has begun to melt, so still a lot but doesn't require snowshoes.

We went 6/13 and it was great. Snow started around 10k and after that there was only snow to walk on. Easy to get lost, so make trail markers. Amazing views but would recommend crampons. Very windy at the top, so be prepared. It is a great "warm up" for some 14ers.

Still requiring snowshoes.

Started at 11 to make it to the pea quickly. Trail was snow covered and packed for most of the ascend. Once we passed the tree line it was very windy. Snow became deep and too soft to make it without snow shoes. With them it would have been an easy ascent. We made it short of peak. We were advised that snow shoes weren't required. They are. On the way down snow was very soft and deep. Overall a difficult trail in current conditions. Going today? Snow shoes!

Breathtaking views and great leg workout! Worth the work!

Trail was snow packed early morn from park lot. From tree line up is off piste, mainly straight up in snow for a good 1.4 miles. Bluebird day. Spikes or skins highly recommended.

A nice hike to warm up for other "higher" peaks. The views are best well before the top. There is little of great interest on top. Weather was an issue the day I hiked. It started out as a beautiful day but clouds started coming in as I approached the top. Sat down for lunch at the summit and it started to hail. Headed back down with hail off an on and then the rain and thunder started. Reached treeline before it got too bad. Passed a number of nut cases hiking up in this weather. No accounting for good/bad sense. Overall, a good day. Aren't they all on the trail?

The hike up was great. Once you get to the peak you realize why it's called Flattop and there's really nothing to see. It's more for the satisfaction of knowing you got to the top...Most of the views are all well before the peak. We hiked towards the end of September and the weather was nice, it was jacket/sweater weather up until we got to the top where it was extra windy. We threw on our hats and gloves and face protection, and probably could have put our coats on too. Overall, it was a great experience!

Great hike!!!

As a flatlander from Louisiana this hike was a slight challenge. The views were very much worth it. Only got as far as the tree line however due to rain/ice pouring on us.

snow pack on approach above treeline

Awesome!! Chilly up top!!