Flattop Mountain Trail

Flattop Mountain Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options.

Directions from Estes Park: Follow Hwy 34 west past the Beaver Meadows Entrance Station to Bear Lake Road. Follow this road to the parking area for the shuttle bus to Bear Lake. The trailhead is located at the end of Bear Lake Road.

One of my favorite hikes in RMNP! The views are incredible! If you are going to hike Flattop you might as well go to Hallet Peak. Maybe another half hour push from Flattop but well worth it for the unobstructed 360 views of RMNP.

Not an easy hike but a mid-40's couple from Denver took their time and got to the top in about 3 hrs. Some of the most amazing views the park has to offer. Surprised how many other people were on this trail, most younger than us and blazing by. Oh well! We were beat afterwords but loved this hike. May take it all the way into Grand Lake next time.

This trail was even better than we expected! I would actually consider the destination to be not just Flattop Mountain summit, but also Tyndall Glacier, which is incredible! The views were amazing and we saw lots of pika and marmots as well. The Emerald and Dream Lake overlooks are a nice bonus! We didn’t try hiking up adjacent Hallett Peak this time but will try it on a future trip. We hiked this trail on August 11, 2018.

If I were you, I'd do one of two things and neither is just summitting flat top. If youre up for a slightly longer hike, continue past flattop to hallett where the view is 10x better. It only took us about 45 minutes round trip to do this extra bit and we were very glad we did. If you're less up for it, just go up flat top past the two lake overlooks and after you get above the tree line. The views there are very cool and the other reviews are right - the summit views of flattop itself are a little anticlimactic. Still a beautiful hike if you're up for a pretty uphill hike in the sun! Loved it

Views on route were breathtaking! However, as others mentioned, the view from the summit itself isn’t the greatest given how flat it is. Many hikers continued to Hallett Peak - and it may be worthwhile to plan ahead and give yourself more time to include the second peak.

This was a hard hike. Lots of loose rock and rhe mileage markers of the park are off- must be mileage "as the crow flies"! I'm a regular at RMNP and I think there are hard trails with better payoffs than this one

be prepared
bring water
nothing flat about flat top
this is an advanced hike
great views

Heed the advice of other reviews, arrive at Bear lake before 6:30 or be condemned to the ride and park. The trail is well maintained and heavily trafficked. Several scenic views are available to stop and have a drink on the ascent. Marmots and Elk abound above the timberline. The only negative is the view from the top is obscured by the flatness of the summit. My advice is to take this hike, but do it as part of your hike to Hallet Peak which offers a better vantage point and very little additional hike.

Hiked this on 7/3. Since it is off the Bear Lake trail, don't get to the parking lot after 6:30 on busy days if you want a spot and a less crowded hike. We started early and had a relatively quiet and less populated trail. It is quite steep, there is rarely flat or downhill parts, so rest when you need to. We aren't anywhere near as athletic as most on the harder trails, so the steep hike was quite rewarding with the views over Dream and Emerald Lakes. We only went close to 3 miles and turned around instead of all the way to the top because we took our time and spent a lot at the overlooks, so it was very sunny when we got above tree line. This was the plan because we just wanted to get the views of the lakes and get above tree line for practice for Chasm Lake. Next time we will go to the top! It's a very rewarding hike and each section along the way is beautiful.

Unbelievable views not just from the top but all the way through. Definitely doing it again

Giving it 4 stars only because the view at the top was very anticlimactic. The trail is extremely well marked. I'd rate this trail as moderate until you get above the treeline where there is about a mile of a steeper incline with some loose rocks. Great views along the trail with lookout points of the lakes. I'd recommend getting there early as parking fills up quickly and gets quite hot. Took about 3 hours to ascend and an hour and 45 minutes to descend.

The trail is longer than stated in the description. According to official USGS trail maps, it is 4.4 miles to the top of Flattop from the start off the Bear Lake trail, making this an 8.8-mile hike.

Lovely hike with long, steady uphill climb and amazing views along the way and from the top. Very windy and cold once you get above treeline. (I wish I had packed gloves!) No water sources on the way (in case you like to bring your filter), so pack all that you'll need.

Parking at Bear Lake lot is ridiculous, so plan on taking the extra time to ride the shuttle to Bear Lake from the park & ride (or even farther down the road).

My first mountain. Very limited prior hiking experience. It was very difficult for me but rewarding. The views were unbelievable. It took me 6-7 hours to complete (started and ended at Bear Lake Trailhead). The trail is pretty clear the whole way. You’ll have to navigate some rocky trails but that was part of the fun for me. Do-able for semi-fit newbies, but exhausting. Make sure you bring a jacket, as the top is very windy and pretty cold. Highly recommend!

Incredible views, long, but easy.

6/21/18 - Well this hike is all about the journey! Trail is well marked. You hike along beautiful forest for about 2.75 miles. Then you start to get above tree line. The views along the trek to flattop are just stunning. Take time to stop and look around; enjoy this journey. Lots of flowers at this time; no real snow to mention. Once you reach the destination expect strong winds. At the top you have a 360 degree outstanding views.

Hiked 6/20/2018. Beautiful vistas past the tree line and switch backs. Definitely challenging for inexperienced hikers, but very doable. Many marmots and pikas. Amazing views of Dream Lake, Emerald Lake, Odessa Lake, Lake Helene, and Two Rivers Lake. Also cool views of Longs Peak. Definitely worth the effort!

Overall great views along the entire hike! Little snow but very manageable.

My first hike to that altitude and it did not disappoint. We hiked up from the west side of the park. There was quite a bit of snow around some of the switchbacks but nothing unmanageable. The views along the way were absolutely amazing. The top was a little barren but still a great view and we had a little lunch before hiking back down. It was astonishingly warm at the top. We hiked up rather late in the afternoon, probably not the smartest idea but we got to see the sunset at the top of the mountain and that was incredible. We made it down before it got dark, but I still wouldn't recommend unless you have headlamps and extra water! I recommend the trail overall, especially hiking up from the west.

Views along the way were awesome, but the top was not that exciting. It is flat, hence the name flattop, so you do not get the sense of accomplishment of a peak on a summit hike. It was too windy to cross over to Hallett, which may have delivered that awesome feeling you get when you get to the very top of a mountain. Still recommend the hike though.

Hiked this 6/12/18 and this was my first big hike, it was amazing! Experienced some snow once we passed the dream lake overlook and more snow about 300 yards from the summit. I was wearing tennis shoes and the snow was manageable. It was very windy once we got out of the tree line. We experienced a 30 degree temperature change, dress in layers! There’s a fire in SW Colorado that made the view from the summit a little foggy. Overall this is a great hike with beautiful views of Longs Peak, Estes Park and the surrounding areas. Would highly recommend!

it was really snowy for over a mile hard to traverse and I lost the trail in the snow a few times. after the snow trek it gets spacious be, beautiful at the top. not for amateurs

Made it to Flattop then decided to head to Hallett Peak. Trail wet and Muddy in spots but only a couple areas of snow throughout the hike that are very manageable. Amazing views! Go early to beat the masses and the storms

Hiked it April 21 and snowshoes or skis are a must, unless you want to sink in the snow, especially at the higher elevations. It was very windy above the treeline and I lost the trail, but just keep heading up. Spectacular views, although the clouds were rolling in, but the sun split through the clouds. I want to do this trail again.

Pretty tiring uphill hike micro spikes might be a good idea very icy on the way down but extremely beautiful view at the top

We started at 7:30am and attempted to summit on 3/24/18 but were forced to turn around shortly after clearing the trees due to high winds. We have never hiked this trail in the summer and were unfamiliar with the trail and with blowing snow, not only could we not see the trail up, but more importantly would not have been able to follow any tracks back down. Also, we had read several reviews that snowshoes were not necessary on this hike, but in our opinion that could not have been further from the truth. We were very disappointed not to have brought them. I literally fell waste deep into the snow at one point just having stepped two feet off the trail. And the trail itself was not nearly as hard packed as we were lead to believe. Lesson here: take your snowshoes!!

Got out today, 2/7, snowshoes are an absolute must. Even with them we sank knee deep in some spots. This was my first winter hike/snowshoeing experience. Had to stop about a mile from the top because the winds were just too much and I was running out of gas. Would absolutely hike again the views are stunning, bummed we couldn't reach the top.

HIked on 3/17. SUPER crowded. No snow.

HIked on 3/17. Connected from Bierstad to Bear lake. Trail fairly well packed. Snowshoes/skis not required, but you can use (snow is deep enough). We used hiking boots/trail shoes. No microspikes required.

Fantastic hike/snowshoe! Beyond gorgeous day with no wind. Used yak traks up to the dream lake overlook, snowshoed down through tons of powder off trail. Highly recommend!!

First time winter hike in Rockies on snow pack. I hiked this trail during the summer but his trip was completely different. Views were even more magnificent with snow features! Also my first hike where I needed my micro-spikes....glad I had them. A few people were also wearing snow shoes. The snow was well packed if you walked in the middle of the trail but one misstep to either side and you would easily sink 12” or more. Plenty of snow until we got above the tree line then it was very thin to none in spots. A few skiers we saw were very disappointed. We accidentally ventured off the trail twice and paid the price with a steep hike directly up. Stay on the trail! As always, the views did not disappoint. Enjoy and hike smart!