Flattop Mountain Trail

Flattop Mountain Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options.

Directions from Estes Park: Follow Hwy 34 west past the Beaver Meadows Entrance Station to Bear Lake Road. Follow this road to the parking area for the shuttle bus to Bear Lake. The trailhead is located at the end of Bear Lake Road.

3 minutes ago

6/21/18 - Well this hike is all about the journey! Trail is well marked. You hike along beautiful forest for about 2.75 miles. Then you start to get above tree line. The views along the trek to flattop are just stunning. Take time to stop and look around; enjoy this journey. Lots of flowers at this time; no real snow to mention. Once you reach the destination expect strong winds. At the top you have a 360 degree outstanding views.

Hiked 6/20/2018. Beautiful vistas past the tree line and switch backs. Definitely challenging for inexperienced hikers, but very doable. Many marmots and pikas. Amazing views of Dream Lake, Emerald Lake, Odessa Lake, Lake Helene, and Two Rivers Lake. Also cool views of Longs Peak. Definitely worth the effort!

Overall great views along the entire hike! Little snow but very manageable.

My first hike to that altitude and it did not disappoint. We hiked up from the west side of the park. There was quite a bit of snow around some of the switchbacks but nothing unmanageable. The views along the way were absolutely amazing. The top was a little barren but still a great view and we had a little lunch before hiking back down. It was astonishingly warm at the top. We hiked up rather late in the afternoon, probably not the smartest idea but we got to see the sunset at the top of the mountain and that was incredible. We made it down before it got dark, but I still wouldn't recommend unless you have headlamps and extra water! I recommend the trail overall, especially hiking up from the west.

Views along the way were awesome, but the top was not that exciting. It is flat, hence the name flattop, so you do not get the sense of accomplishment of a peak on a summit hike. It was too windy to cross over to Hallett, which may have delivered that awesome feeling you get when you get to the very top of a mountain. Still recommend the hike though.

Hiked this 6/12/18 and this was my first big hike, it was amazing! Experienced some snow once we passed the dream lake overlook and more snow about 300 yards from the summit. I was wearing tennis shoes and the snow was manageable. It was very windy once we got out of the tree line. We experienced a 30 degree temperature change, dress in layers! There’s a fire in SW Colorado that made the view from the summit a little foggy. Overall this is a great hike with beautiful views of Longs Peak, Estes Park and the surrounding areas. Would highly recommend!

it was really snowy for over a mile hard to traverse and I lost the trail in the snow a few times. after the snow trek it gets spacious be, beautiful at the top. not for amateurs

Made it to Flattop then decided to head to Hallett Peak. Trail wet and Muddy in spots but only a couple areas of snow throughout the hike that are very manageable. Amazing views! Go early to beat the masses and the storms

Hiked it April 21 and snowshoes or skis are a must, unless you want to sink in the snow, especially at the higher elevations. It was very windy above the treeline and I lost the trail, but just keep heading up. Spectacular views, although the clouds were rolling in, but the sun split through the clouds. I want to do this trail again.

Pretty tiring uphill hike micro spikes might be a good idea very icy on the way down but extremely beautiful view at the top

We started at 7:30am and attempted to summit on 3/24/18 but were forced to turn around shortly after clearing the trees due to high winds. We have never hiked this trail in the summer and were unfamiliar with the trail and with blowing snow, not only could we not see the trail up, but more importantly would not have been able to follow any tracks back down. Also, we had read several reviews that snowshoes were not necessary on this hike, but in our opinion that could not have been further from the truth. We were very disappointed not to have brought them. I literally fell waste deep into the snow at one point just having stepped two feet off the trail. And the trail itself was not nearly as hard packed as we were lead to believe. Lesson here: take your snowshoes!!

Got out today, 2/7, snowshoes are an absolute must. Even with them we sank knee deep in some spots. This was my first winter hike/snowshoeing experience. Had to stop about a mile from the top because the winds were just too much and I was running out of gas. Would absolutely hike again the views are stunning, bummed we couldn't reach the top.

HIked on 3/17. SUPER crowded. No snow.

HIked on 3/17. Connected from Bierstad to Bear lake. Trail fairly well packed. Snowshoes/skis not required, but you can use (snow is deep enough). We used hiking boots/trail shoes. No microspikes required.

Fantastic hike/snowshoe! Beyond gorgeous day with no wind. Used yak traks up to the dream lake overlook, snowshoed down through tons of powder off trail. Highly recommend!!

First time winter hike in Rockies on snow pack. I hiked this trail during the summer but his trip was completely different. Views were even more magnificent with snow features! Also my first hike where I needed my micro-spikes....glad I had them. A few people were also wearing snow shoes. The snow was well packed if you walked in the middle of the trail but one misstep to either side and you would easily sink 12” or more. Plenty of snow until we got above the tree line then it was very thin to none in spots. A few skiers we saw were very disappointed. We accidentally ventured off the trail twice and paid the price with a steep hike directly up. Stay on the trail! As always, the views did not disappoint. Enjoy and hike smart!

It was a pretty good workout for a 58 year old that wasn't in great shape. Getting next to a couple glaciers was neat and eating lunch on Continental Divide was something that not everyone has done. Now I have! After breaking above treeline, you think the top is getting close but it is another mile (approximately) and several rest stops away. Excellent views all around from the top! Forgot to mention that I hiked this trail at the end of August, 2017.

I hiked this yesterday. Microspikes were all that was needed. The wind above tree line, however, had everyone turning around. I got blown over twice on the ice and had all the gear possible, ski goggles, balaclava, two coats, gaiters, blah, blah, blah. Still too cold at the top.

Exciting hike, definitely recommend. Started around 5am for the sunrise and added Hallett Peak. Violent above tree-line this morning and the wind concealed any remnants of a trail with snow. Be sure to leave your own mini cairns for the way down, it can be tricky finding your way back with the wind and “found” several areas of waist high snow. Surely worth it.

This was a great physical workout. Beautiful views, for sure. Wore micro-spikes, but I probably could've fared without. Didn't make it to the top due to the trail being blown over and difficult to find, plus I was short on time. However I know others did summit. I would do this trail again and add Hallet with it.

So gorgeous. Made the extra 0.7 miles to the top of Hallett and it was definitely worth it! I was fine with just microspikes and the trail is a mix of ice, deeper snow, hard pack, and rock. Found a lone yaktrak contact me at rachelsaggau@gmail.com if you lost one!

Great hike up to the summit. Started before sunrise, and made it down by midday. The trail is icy at lower altitudes and the snow gets deep above the tree line if you stray from the trail (which is fairly easy to do). Try to spot the cairns, and when in doubt just keep climbing upwards. I’d recommend spikes and gaiters. The wind was pretty nasty up high as well, so proper cold weather gear is a must.

Very challenging! Did Flat Top to Hallett Peak. Started early in the mornin and was back down by lunch but man - great workout! Epic views!

It is a gorgeous hike. The trail is covered with packed snow and ice. Snow gets deep above tree line.

Not technically tough but it's long enough and with enough gain to get beat down some. GET AN EARLY START to be sure of a parking place; it will fill up early. PRE-DAWN start if you can. As with all hike-climbs similar to this, it's a lot colder and windier on top so plan accordingly.

Attempted to summit today (10/13). Lost the trail in the snowfield at 3.5 miles in and 11,600 ft (about a mile from the summit). We were a few hundred feet past the treeline and the snowdrifts we're so high you couldn't clearly see the Cairns anymore, let alone the trail. We came upon an ice/snow field that we no longer felt comfortable crossing and saw no visible attempts made by others to that point. Started at 6:30am and had beautiful conditions until the sun started peaking over the northern side and stiring up wind. We were the first party heading up today, passed about 6 groups on the way down who were also going to attempt to summit. Very Icy the entire way starting from about 1 mile in. This might be the last weekend for attempting to summit.

This was a fantastic trail, the views of the nearby 12,000 to 14,000 footers are amazing, as are the numerous lakes, Trail Ridge Road, Estes Park, etc. Just seems like we were about 2 weeks too late this season. Estes Park had 8" of snow on Monday so Flattop probably had 3 feet. Looking forward to attempting this trail again sometime.

Went out today, was gorgeous and warm out, at least at the bottom. A bit of ice on the trail once you leave Bear Lake, amazing views from the Dream Lake and Emerald Lake overlooks. 1-2 ft of snow above the treeline with an icy crust. Once I got maybe half a mile past the treeline the wind started to pick up, and by about a mile past the treeline it was blowing ice in my face at ~40 mph and I had to turn around as I didn't have a face mask. Definitely would recommend spikes, and probably gaiters too.

Went on 9/29, beautiful day, clear skies. Trail not too heavily trafficked. Last mile or so was tough, mostly covered in snow and seemed to go on forever, and we wondered how different the view would be from the summit, but it was well worth it, with a spectacular view of Hallett Peak and the rest of the park from above the clouds.

Hiked on 9/25. Icy and snowy, but a great hike

Due to the moisture unfortunately couldn't didn't experience any of the views. Awesome hike otherwise... snowy at the top.