Flagstaff Mountain Summit via Gregory Canyon

Flagstaff Mountain Summit via Gregory Canyon is a 5.4 mile out and back trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,430 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hot, a lot of exposure, not enough bang for my buck.

Took me about 3 hours, and was awesome!

The first part is not well marked so I highly recommend using the trail map. You have to cross the creek twice and the first crossing is hard to find.

Headed into Boulder to try out the Flagstaff Mountain Summit trail via Gregory Canyon. Rated as moderate on Alltrails I would rate this more on the moderate-hard for anyone with a respiratory issue.  Although the views of Boulder and the Continental Divide are amazing even on a cloudy day, the trail I felt has much to be desired. The front half has a bit of light scrambling (if you have any kind of joint problems I advise not go this way) but once you cross the first of two small creeks the path is much less rocky and easier to navigate. There are still parts with some snow and ice and although I did have my micros with me I didn't need to use them. Also, make sure to be aware of all the trail signs as to not veer off the Gregory Canyon trail which can be easy to do.  If I were to do this again I would do the Ute and Range View Trail as an alternative to experience these views.

Amazing hike with breathtaking views

I have hiked these trails before but today (just after the new snow this weekend) I was truly amazed by how new they seemed and beautiful they were! Specifically Ranger View trail was gorgeous, amazing views! Hard packed snow to an inch or two for most of the trail until you reach Boy Scout Trail. I was trail blazing for a little more than half of Boy Scout (few inches of snow) and then I was taking knee deep steps and decided to turn back the way I came. Awesome day of hiking in Boulder and I saw less than 8 people on the trail (almost never get to say that!).

Hiked 12/2/18 - Gregory Canyon TH indicates you need to pay $5 cash to park so come with cash. Chautauqua parking is free this time of year so it's strange they require payment at Gregory Canyon.. It's possible they don't require payment but there's no sign letting you know either way. Anyway, the canyon is mostly dry but there's several small stretches that are solid ice. I just used my microspikes the whole time so I could hike fast the whole time with no worries. I used the Range View trail and hiked up to the true summit from the northwest. Came down from the summit onto the Ute trail. Nice quick hike for a morning workout. Took less than two hours RT which includes about 20 minutes exploring on the summit.

The long way to get up to Flagstaff summit from the base of the canyon. Climb up gregory canyon then cross the road where there is parking just off flagstaff road if you'd rather start with a smaller amount of elevation to climb.

Friday, July 06, 2018

Great hike up to Flagstaff Summit! Challenging in the beginning, but the view at the top made it worth it.

Friday, March 17, 2017