Fish Creek to Long Lake

Fish Creek to Long Lake is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Steamboat Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Winded! A tough hike with beautiful meadows and a nice swim at the lake....once we got there. We were pretty confused as to how long the hike really was (before I got this app); and the signs at the trail head are difficult to read. Hiking all the way to the lake thinned out the crowds. We came here from much lower elevations and did this hike on our first day and definitely noticed the thin air! We wish we would have acclimated a little more first. We agree that bringing more water than you think you’ll need is a good idea! The sun was HOT in exposed areas!

Amazing trail with everything to see. The first few miles to the upper falls is difficult and uphill almost the entire way. However, it is absolutely gorgeous. It ranges from wooded area to rocky, rugged clearings as you ascend (the rocky part was my favorite). Once you get passed the upper falls, it levels out some and gives way to mountain meadows and loads of wildflowers. Hiked this on 8/18/17. No snow at that time. We are from Florida, and the elevation was tough along with not having enough water. We didn’t know how much further Long Lake was before we turned around. It turns out we were only 0.5 miles from Long Lake. Being nearly out of water was an issue along with tired legs at that point. With several deviations from the trail (to explore), stopping to take pics, and a couple breaks.. it took us roughly 6 hours round-trip. We ate lunch about a 1/4 mile passed the upper falls while sitting on the rocks along the creek. Highly recommended, but be prepared for a long, tough hike, and bring more water than you think you’ll need. The views you’ll see are worth every step along the way! P.S. - The trail does get a bit crowded, but really thins out beyond the upper falls.

Amazing trail, beautiful wildflowers, hard, but so worth it when you make it all the way to Long Lake!

Beautiful hike. After the upper falls the trail smooths out. So many flowers and the snow was gone. Just a few wet spots. Definitely hard because it is long and the first half is very rocky. Those rocks are pretty tough going down when your legs are tired. Round trip took us 6 hours including lunch at the top.

Great trail! Made it to the upper falls with our 8 and 12 year old adopted grand kids. Beauty all around. Next year we start earlier and go to the lake.

Amazing hike! Everywhere I looked I was greeted with beauty! Do not miss this gorgeous adventure!

Amazing hike with beautiful waterfalls!

Unfortunately, I had to turn around about .5 from the lake due to a lot of snow on the ground that I couldn’t navigate through. A lot of snow still on the trail. The spots without snow were either somewhat muddy or wet with snow run off. Will probably perfect in 3-4 weeks!

The trail is narrow and somewhat steep at parts, making for a good challenge. It was well packed and microspikes worked great! Didn’t make it to the lake, but there were some beautiful views along the way. About half way up it clears and levels a bit for some beautiful views. Waterfall is at the base

Amazing trail!!
Unfortunat there was no path anymore a 1/2mile before the 2nd waterfall so i navigated with GPS
It took me 2 days in a row making my way through knee deep snow to get 3/5 of the way to the lake.
I hope that someone wil follow my path soon before fresh snow and wind covers it en finishes it for me to the lake!!
So bummed that im leaving en cant finnish it myself tomorrow :(
Please let me know if you did!

Best Winter trail

as 11/25/17 trail ends at 4 miles (9400 feet)
the first half is very icy...where studs and bring poles!

This trail has it all, falls, steep slopes, rock climbing for kids, bridges and it is highly trafficked. The whole family loved it!

Aspen were perfect ... long hike up and down. 100mi runners at Long Lake.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Great hike...... unfortunately, thunder clouds rolled in and at about 75% complete, we ended up turned back.

Friday, July 28, 2017

So beautiful! steep and rocky and some parts, gentle and woodsy on others. Lots of people today! Took my daughter and me about 3 hours round-trip taking our time to enjoy the air and scenery. This would be magnificent in the Fall with all the Aspen trees.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

This is gorgeous. 10/10 as good as it gets. Incredible views and amazing wildflowers and scenery. Be warned it is steep and hot! Bring plenty of water ( more than you'll think you need). The second falls is gorgeous and the perfect way to cool down in icy mountain water. We turned around after the second falls but the hike was so worth it. You will have to rock scramble a bit

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Amazing trail! The part to the second waterfall is pretty steep but rewarding. If you still feel like hiking continue on to the lake! It gets pretty flat(still uphill but very easy) after you pass the waterfall. Georgeous meadows and the opportunity to make it a little run if you feel like. The lake is pretty!
Just do not forget to bring mosquito spray!!!!!!!! Otherwise you get eaten alive.
Took us something like 5-6hrs including two breaks

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Did this on 7/7, trail head just on the other side of the bridge is marked well, path is easy to follow the first 2 miles to the upper falls. It is a grueling 2 miles, with about a 2,000 feet elevation gain. The forest, and aspen Grove are shaded and provided a nice cool area to hike as the temps were getting to 90 for the day while I hiked. At the upper falls there is still 3 miles, 1 way to go until Lost Lake so I turned around at this point. If you like hard hikes, with forests, waterfalls, and a good view of the surrounding area near the upper falls, this is a great hike for you.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Beautiful views go early in the morning cooler temps. Steep climbs in some places with no shade.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

great trail a bit technical and rockt from the second falls to the lake. We tracked is as just over 12 from upper parking lot to Lake and back The wildflowers and views from mile 3 to lake were incredible.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Amazing views, but a definite climb. The distance to the lake from the falls is probably closer to 6.5 miles than it is to 5. All told, my group put in around 13.4 miles total. The ascent is challenging, but rewarding. Amazing views, beautiful landscapes, and it's something we'll never forget. The descent from Long Lake to Fish Creek Falls is much easier, as it's almost entirely downhill. We packed a light lunch and ate when we arrived at Long Lake, rested, and set out for our return. We left at 7:30 and returned to the falls around 2:30-3:00. We loved it!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Love this hike. Great exercise and beautiful! If your not used to the altitude the climb will be a little difficult - but the view at the second falls is more than worth it. Moved to Steamboat from Texas and I do this hike a few times a week. HIGHLY recommend if you are in steamboat area!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Beautiful trail, yes it is a difficult and from the parking lot to long lake and back is a via my garmin was 15.2 miles.... makes for a long day. but well worth the effort, the upper falls was just amazing. we stopped short with .08 left to the lake, due to a running creek on the trail, "just didn't want to get feet wet.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Fording the creek just below the Lake is a little risky this time of year. I turned around without crossing. Patches of deep snow higher up and muddy in many parts.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Beautiful conditions from the Lower to Upper Falls. Things get a bit wet, nothing major, above the Upper Falls and about a mile further there is still some snow on the trail. It is passable. Great hike up, run down scenario. Go early it gets crowded.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Hiked up the the second waterfall...great hike to break in these legs! both waterfalls are really full. Lots of water flowing through!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Gorgeous trail with a variety of landscapes; from wooded aspen groves to rocky creek trails this a great trail to see a variety of landscapes and some beautiful alpine views. As of right now around 9200 ft there's still a decent amount of snow on the trail, I recommend using poles and/or spikes if you want to make it to the lake, otherwise the upper creek waterfall is a good turnaround spot.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Very challenging but undoubtedly beautiful views. If you're up to a hard but rewarding workout go for it!