Fish Creek to Long Lake

Fish Creek to Long Lake is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Steamboat Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing hike with beautiful waterfalls!

Unfortunately, I had to turn around about .5 from the lake due to a lot of snow on the ground that I couldn’t navigate through. A lot of snow still on the trail. The spots without snow were either somewhat muddy or wet with snow run off. Will probably perfect in 3-4 weeks!

The trail is narrow and somewhat steep at parts, making for a good challenge. It was well packed and microspikes worked great! Didn’t make it to the lake, but there were some beautiful views along the way. About half way up it clears and levels a bit for some beautiful views. Waterfall is at the base

Amazing trail!!
Unfortunat there was no path anymore a 1/2mile before the 2nd waterfall so i navigated with GPS
It took me 2 days in a row making my way through knee deep snow to get 3/5 of the way to the lake.
I hope that someone wil follow my path soon before fresh snow and wind covers it en finishes it for me to the lake!!
So bummed that im leaving en cant finnish it myself tomorrow :(
Please let me know if you did!

Best Winter trail

as 11/25/17 trail ends at 4 miles (9400 feet)
the first half is very icy...where studs and bring poles!

This trail has it all, falls, steep slopes, rock climbing for kids, bridges and it is highly trafficked. The whole family loved it!

Aspen were perfect ... long hike up and down. 100mi runners at Long Lake.

Great hike...... unfortunately, thunder clouds rolled in and at about 75% complete, we ended up turned back.

So beautiful! steep and rocky and some parts, gentle and woodsy on others. Lots of people today! Took my daughter and me about 3 hours round-trip taking our time to enjoy the air and scenery. This would be magnificent in the Fall with all the Aspen trees.

This is gorgeous. 10/10 as good as it gets. Incredible views and amazing wildflowers and scenery. Be warned it is steep and hot! Bring plenty of water ( more than you'll think you need). The second falls is gorgeous and the perfect way to cool down in icy mountain water. We turned around after the second falls but the hike was so worth it. You will have to rock scramble a bit

Amazing trail! The part to the second waterfall is pretty steep but rewarding. If you still feel like hiking continue on to the lake! It gets pretty flat(still uphill but very easy) after you pass the waterfall. Georgeous meadows and the opportunity to make it a little run if you feel like. The lake is pretty!
Just do not forget to bring mosquito spray!!!!!!!! Otherwise you get eaten alive.
Took us something like 5-6hrs including two breaks

Did this on 7/7, trail head just on the other side of the bridge is marked well, path is easy to follow the first 2 miles to the upper falls. It is a grueling 2 miles, with about a 2,000 feet elevation gain. The forest, and aspen Grove are shaded and provided a nice cool area to hike as the temps were getting to 90 for the day while I hiked. At the upper falls there is still 3 miles, 1 way to go until Lost Lake so I turned around at this point. If you like hard hikes, with forests, waterfalls, and a good view of the surrounding area near the upper falls, this is a great hike for you.

Beautiful views go early in the morning cooler temps. Steep climbs in some places with no shade.

great trail a bit technical and rockt from the second falls to the lake. We tracked is as just over 12 from upper parking lot to Lake and back The wildflowers and views from mile 3 to lake were incredible.

Amazing views, but a definite climb. The distance to the lake from the falls is probably closer to 6.5 miles than it is to 5. All told, my group put in around 13.4 miles total. The ascent is challenging, but rewarding. Amazing views, beautiful landscapes, and it's something we'll never forget. The descent from Long Lake to Fish Creek Falls is much easier, as it's almost entirely downhill. We packed a light lunch and ate when we arrived at Long Lake, rested, and set out for our return. We left at 7:30 and returned to the falls around 2:30-3:00. We loved it!

Love this hike. Great exercise and beautiful! If your not used to the altitude the climb will be a little difficult - but the view at the second falls is more than worth it. Moved to Steamboat from Texas and I do this hike a few times a week. HIGHLY recommend if you are in steamboat area!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Beautiful trail, yes it is a difficult and from the parking lot to long lake and back is a via my garmin was 15.2 miles.... makes for a long day. but well worth the effort, the upper falls was just amazing. we stopped short with .08 left to the lake, due to a running creek on the trail, "just didn't want to get feet wet.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Fording the creek just below the Lake is a little risky this time of year. I turned around without crossing. Patches of deep snow higher up and muddy in many parts.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Beautiful conditions from the Lower to Upper Falls. Things get a bit wet, nothing major, above the Upper Falls and about a mile further there is still some snow on the trail. It is passable. Great hike up, run down scenario. Go early it gets crowded.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Hiked up the the second waterfall...great hike to break in these legs! both waterfalls are really full. Lots of water flowing through!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Gorgeous trail with a variety of landscapes; from wooded aspen groves to rocky creek trails this a great trail to see a variety of landscapes and some beautiful alpine views. As of right now around 9200 ft there's still a decent amount of snow on the trail, I recommend using poles and/or spikes if you want to make it to the lake, otherwise the upper creek waterfall is a good turnaround spot.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Very challenging but undoubtedly beautiful views. If you're up to a hard but rewarding workout go for it!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Beautiful and challenging hike- steep incline at the start but evens out. Trail was really muddy. Once you get past the falls, you can only go about 0.5-1 miles further because there's too much snow and you can't tell where the trail is to get up to the lake.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Great hike! Got narrow at times, but we brought a dog and it was great. There are a few hidden side trails that bring you to awesome, panoramic views. Some parts have a steep incline, so wear hiking boots. The sign at the waterfall says "Long Lakes 5 mi", which was deceiving. We hiked to the bridge about 2.5 miles in and back. Great, beautiful hike!

Saturday, May 13, 2017

The trail is totally covered in snow past the bridge up by the upper falls. The trail hasn't been traversed recently. After trudging through slushy snow we stopped on a high spot and enjoyed the view. The snow was slushy and prone to collapsing. Watch for bears. We had fresh bear tracks in the snow.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Really enjoyed snowshoeing up to the upper falls. Trail was packed enough snowshoes weren't initially necessary, although I'd recommend microspikes as it was packed enough it was pretty slick. That being said, snowshoes were eventually needed. Was trying to follow the trail out to Long Lake, but was unsuccessful. Either the trail petered out because of snow and not being used or I bungled things up myself. Regardless, absolutely beautiful views and lovely solitude once away from the lower falls.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

The description on this hike is incorrect. The map and elevation profile are for the hike from the parking lot to upper Fish Creek Falls, NOT to Longs Lake. As other reviewers said, the hike to Longs Lake is much further. The sign at the parking lot says it is 5 miles each way (10 miles round trip) to Longs Lake.

Even so, this is a spectacular hike. We went on a chilly October day so there were only a few hikers. The aspen trees were dropping leaves and were a beautiful golden.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Fairly challenging hike. It is also a pretty popular trail, so if you are looking for seclusion you may want to hike a different trail.