Fish Creek Falls Trail

Fish Creek Falls Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Steamboat Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

rock climbing

Fish Creek Falls is 283 foot water fall about 5 miles outside of Steamboat Springs, CO. Hiking during the summer and ice climbing in the winter.

It was unbearably hot the day I ventured to Fish Creek Falls, so I didn’t make it but a quarter mile past the bridge and waterfall before I turned around and went back. The trail down to the waterfall is mostly shaded, and not too steep coming back up. I also walked a short ways down the overlook trail that leads to the top of the waterfall; different scenery and very pretty, but exposed to the sun so very hot. Some loose dirt and a little rocky in spots on the trail, so sturdy shoes are a good idea. Chipmunks, ground squirrels, anglewing butterflies, birds, and very pretty wildflowers were all out in mid July. Very nice, short hike with lots of changing scenery to see: waterfall, aspen groves, conifers, small meadows, rocky cliffsides (overlook trail), surrounding mountains. Went on a weekday late afternoon / early evening, and there was moderate traffic.

Was a beautiful evening to hike and was fun for my whole family! Was easy to access beautiful views of the falls without having to hike too long.

Had an amazing time today hiking the upper Fish Creek Falls!! Completely worth it! It’s rated difficult and that was fairly accurate for a few portions, (although that rating seems a little strong for the trail overall). I saw several people hiking without a water bottle and that isn’t wise at all, especially on a day as hot as today was.

Picked a good time to go in the afternoon. No storms, plenty of parking, and few people. Good workout and great views. We went on a pretty warm day. Seeing the pools under the waterfall made ya want to try to jump in.

This trail is a tough one, but so rewarding. A word of caution, take care of your knees on the way down.

Gorgeous hike!

Amazing hike and not many travel up past the upper falls! The treck to falls is far worse than hike to the lake. We left trailhead at 9:39 and wish we had gone sooner. We got stuck in storm 1 mike away from lake when we turned around. Wildflowers are gorgeous and you feel like you are walking in a meadow land! Start early and definitely don’t miss this gorgeous hike!!! Totally worth the 11.7 Miles! PS.... bring bug spray!!

Great hike. It’s not as crazy as I was expecting.

Very crowded but not surprising on a Fourth of July weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed this hike. It was very hot so bring plenty of water.

First timer, but really enjoyed the hike up to the 2nd of two waterfalls.

Fun hike. Not for the faint of heart. We are a flat lander family and we made it! The views from the upper falls are amazing!

Great Trail! Beautiful Views! Easy incline.

Green and shaded for the most part on your way up. Fairly steep and very rocky at points, but manageable. The upper waterfall is gorgeous and there’s some good rock scrambling opportunities. I’d definitely recommend if you’re fit or determined enough to finish.

This trail was beautiful in June, gorgeous views and wildflowers. Hiked this on a sunny Saturday so there were a fair amount of people on the trail but still enjoyable. Only small downside was that I had my dog with me and hiking with him on leash was a bit challenging given that the trail is narrow, steep, uneven and unstable at some points but once far enough up the trail I noticed most other dogs were off leash and that no one appeared to be too bothered by it which was a relief.

so wonderful to be in forest

Loved this hike. Gets difficult but so worth all the views as the climb goes on. Would totally do this again if I end up back in Steamboat.

This was an amazing hike. A must do for hikers in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. I would rate this towards moderately difficult! Although our 10 and 12 year olds made it! A few fearful moments with daughter along ridge of boulders on cliff edge to the valley. Everyone was glad they did it bc big payoffs on the boulder cliff and upper falls! Bring lunch and PLENTY of water! Steep climbing in some areas but well worth the views and upper falls view! If you climb to the upper falls you will be climbing along a somewhat narrow boulder cliff! The view of the valley below gives spectacular views of steamboat! If you don’t want the rock climbing 3 foot wide cliff adventure then go to the 2nd bridge, have lunch on the big boulder and start the easy descent! If you don’t do the upper falls or lake which was not marked and 4 ? Miles beyond upper falls. Still an amazing hike with views of rapids and lower falls!
Our final destination was the upper falls! Didn’t know at the time how much further the Lake was or which path to follow. The upper falls were Powerful almost 300ft. Waterfall! Some were swimming but pretty dangerous and powerful.
This hike is confusing to tourist because you can go as far as 4 destinations or as short of a distance as a simple paved photo waterfall opportunity. 4 destinations really. #1
A lower falls with picnic area for those wanting a quick short stroll for a family with young kids or paved trail.
#2 first bridge #3 2nd bridge #4 upper falls (steep ledge of boulders to cross with valley drop off view! #5 we never reached the Lake! ENJOY!

Beautiful, well-worn trail. Little bit of mud in places. Aspens and wildflowers were lovely. The first mile or so was uphill but after you power through that it becomes easy. Enjoy the falls at the end and a panoramic overlook near the end.

Exceptional hike rated correctly by All Trails according to us flatlander 60 year olds. Early June affords great flow for the water and spring wild flowers are visible everywhere. Early start recommended during this unusually warm spring. This is a not-to-be-missed Steamboat Springs hike. Keepsake photos from this one! Would never do this one without trekking poles.

Loved this trail, tons of birds and wildlife, even had a deer cross the trail in front of us

This is the NFS Trail #1202 (I believe) that goes up above Fish Creek Falls toward Longs Lake. Rocky & steep in places. We went only about 1.8 mi up because we didn't have enough water or poles... I'm a little wobbly & really need the poles. A beautiful trail though!

Nice little hike with big bonus falls at the end.

Ive lived all over Colorado for the past 5 years out of my van. This is my favorite hike and all time favorite waterfall. The over look view and the bridge are great but if you hike up to the top. Its quiet the view and very much worth it. Just follow the trail for about 10-15 minutes past the bridge and listen for the water. There are no markers just local trails! Enjoy

Didn't make it all the way to long lake due to a late start but a very nice hike. Trail 75% snowed and grateful we brought hiking poles. Start early in the day, like before 9, to avoid the afternoon rain.

Pleasant hike to the upper falls. Hiked in late April - you'll want to start in the morning while the snow is still hard. If you hike after noon you'll be post-holing in the snow field above the 2nd bridge. It was mid-week and no one else was on this trail. Lots of folks walking the short path to the lower falls.

niiiice!

Great trail. A lot of snow this time of year but well packed.

Just finished trail to upper falls. Last bit was steep but trail was well snow packed and hiking shoes is all that’s needed. Its moderate to the lower falls; I would rate this as Hard/Difficult getting to the Upper Falls.

Hiked the lovely snow covered, relatively packed trail in hiking boots past the big falls where there were two ice climbers, through the pines, then aspens, over the rivers wooden bridge and eventually to the smaller falls. Was a nice reward. the views of the valley were awesome. At 10 am we were the only car in the upper lot. lot was full when we returned. moderate rating suits this short trail.

It was a beautiful hike., we went to the upper falls. Great views along the trail.