First and Second Flatiron Hike

First and Second Flatiron Hike is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Directions from Highway 36: Take the Baseline Road exit and travel west toward the mountains. Follow Baseline Road 1.5 miles passed the entrance for Chautaugua Park to the Gregory Canyon Trailhead. Turn left into the parking lot on a dirt road. A parking fee is charged at this trailhead for vehicles not registered in Boulder County or not displaying a Boulder Resident Permit. Permits can be obtained at the trailhead or at the Chautaugua Park Rangers Cottage.

Great hike with spectular views, but it is strenuous.

Difficult, but the views along the way up are beautiful - can be hard on the joints and toes, also slippery when wet.
You can see the Denver skyline on a clear day!

Great trail not too crowded and great views on the way up, the top is the reward.

Beautiful view of flat irons and boulder at summit. Bring lots of water for ascent.

Great Trail paths are easy to navigate not to hard for beginners just wear proper shoes for traction.

Really solid trail. The avalanche/rock area is very cool. There are some awesome views.

We arrived around 6am on a Saturday, the lot was just starting fill. Go early, avoid the crowds. You won't be disappointed by the views at the top. Lot of steep uphill, but not technical at all.

We got to the trailhead fairly early (6am) on a Saturday, and there were only a few other cars. I didn't really find this hike "hard" more of a "moderate" to me, but maybe that's because it did require a tiny bit of scrambling at one point. I would recommend trekking poles if you want to be quicker with your ascent/descent. I tore my ACL 3 months ago, and still managed this hike. The views are absolutely beautiful. We would definitely do this one again! I would recommend going early if you're like me and love to have the trail almost to yourself. :)

Great views, it is challenging though I don’t know if I would rate as hard

Loved the view here! If you plan on getting up to the top, theres a few areas you have to climb the mountain so be prepared for that, but I'm relatively out of shape and made it!

Excellent view of the Continental Divide and looking over Boulder. Make sure to go on the backside of the flatiron to see the view of the Continental Divide. The hike is short but straight up with switchbacks.

Very fun hike. Pretty steep at some points, but we stopped for breaks a few times on the way up. Lots of places to stop and chill in the shade on some boulders.

Nice trail. Beautiful views of boulder and close up the flatirons are spectacular. Trail was steep but well maintained. Great shorter trail!

Great views would rate this hike easy.

Great views of Boulder and Rockies.

Great views. Steep hike. Lots of people on a beautiful day. Landed in the morning from the east coast and jumped on this trail right away. Due to the elevation gain, we got tired very quickly. Drank lots of water. Fantastic day to start our vacation.

Pretty hard trail but not too bad! Path can be unclear at times as you have to actually climb over some rocks but it's a beautiful scene once at the top! The trip down is quick and easy which makes the hard trip up not so bad!

Perfect hike to get views quick. Stair-master-like trip up and quick trip down.

Such a nice tour, not so easy as it is climbing in a difficult path.

Super steep, but worth it. We brought along our four legged friend and it was a bit of a struggle when we were in some pretty rocky terrain. Jagged rocks were tough on paws.

Short, but steep (and sweet). It's worth going all the way to the end of the trail, almost to the top of the first flatiron, for views over Boulder and third flatiron as well as of mountains deeper in the range.

Did this hike last weekend in early morning on saturday (830am) - not crowed at all that early and the weather felt wonderful. As you got closer to the top, there were 1-2 icy patches but nothing too difficult (I hiked in Salomon trail shoes and was fine.

Great trail some rock climbing beautiful views at top.

Great hike, although a little crowded on the weekends.

I LOVED the flatirons! This was my first hike in Boulder as someone who was traveling from out of state. The elevation definitely makes this a bit more challenging, though I would say I struggled more with walking the inclined trail than the rocky terrain. Some of the areas were pretty challenging while others weren't so bad. Wear good hiking boots/shoes and you'll be set! The view from the top was fantastic.

I don’t understand why this is rated hard and Sanitas is rated moderate.

Great trail for a half day hike. View is awesome. We added the Flatiron loop on the way back.

Fun and currently in good condition. View at the top is tough to beat.

A great & intense little hike for a long lunch break (2hrs) in the middle of the day. Definitely one of my top 3 favorite hikes in Boulder.

Great elevation incline in first stretch and covered winding trailed going up. Beautiful views from top, as well as solid rocks!