First and Second Flatiron Hike

First and Second Flatiron Hike is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Directions from Highway 36: Take the Baseline Road exit and travel west toward the mountains. Follow Baseline Road 1.5 miles passed the entrance for Chautaugua Park to the Gregory Canyon Trailhead. Turn left into the parking lot on a dirt road. A parking fee is charged at this trailhead for vehicles not registered in Boulder County or not displaying a Boulder Resident Permit. Permits can be obtained at the trailhead or at the Chautaugua Park Rangers Cottage.

Gorgeous trail; good variety of strong incline, walking through forest, and climbing over some cool rock runs.

A couple clarifications - this one seems to be a loop as opposed to another one on the list that’s just an out an back (confused me for a little bit as I was researching). Second the trails closed 8-4:30 Monday - Thursday but climbers are allowed to climb up the First and then take the trail down. Looked beautiful but unfortunately misread the climbing exception.

Definitely a solid hike. The trail itself seemed a bit less scenic than the trail to Royal Arch but the view at the end is much more stunning. You get a clear view of the Rockies from the top of the first flatiron and it makes the trek up worth it. For most people trying to enjoy themselves and appreciate the surrounds give it anywhere from 1.5-2.5 hours. But if you've got something to prove I'm sure you could do it faster.

This was a quick 45 minute hike up for someone that is athletic. I really enjoyed it, but it was a little too short for me.

great views throughout, tough with some tricky rock spots, have good shoes/boots

This was a tough but worthwhile trail. The most taxing part was the first part up to the tree line/base of the mountain. There are a few tricky places to get up so make sure you have good shoes. The view from the top of the first flatiron is gorgeous though and makes it worth the trek! We went after work around 5pm and it was not very crowded and parking was free.

Absolutely beautiful views at the top make this difficult hike worth it. The trail is rocky terrain the whole way to the top (so wear good shoes or be cautious of where you place your feet) and some areas require a short scramble up rock faces (thankfully, with divots for your feet). I’d recommend that each person on the hike take a full water bottle and a snack, as my group (not acclimated to the elevation and generally unfit) took about 5 hours with a 1 hour at the top to take in the views and a well-deserved break. If you have poor knees, wear a brace as the steep decline is rough on knees.

I read some reviews before hiking and saw that some had rated this as "moderate".... I'd say the first half of the hike is moderate and then there is some scrambling that I was not expecting that definitely made it more difficult. That being said this was only my 3rd Colorado hike, so it is still doable and has some great views on both sides!

We managed to find parking just a little before 8AM; the trail was already crowded, but completely mobbed by the time we were headed down around 11AM. We also got ticketed for parking despite having paid. A strenuous hike, mostly uphill. Wear closed-toe shoes or hiking boots -- it's rocky.

Great morning hike with superb unique views, friendly squirrels, a few steep spots, and nice shade.
It can be hard to find the actual 1st and 2nd Flatirons trailhead if you're not familiar with the area - just follow the crowd up any of the trails (such as Chautaqua trail), and you will be led to this trailhead.

This hike is mostly easy with a few very strenuous hands-and-feet areas. Final elevation is about 7,180. I'd rate it moderate.

great hike! arrived Saturday the 7th at 610 am still plenty of parking. starts out easy and turns mid hard including some rock scrambles at the upper levels. beautiful birds singing and flying around much of the hike. we went off the flatiron 1/2 trail and did some improvisation until we got to an area that got to too technical and turned around. went back to the trail and the upper level is a lot of switchbacks. beautiful views all the way and the top was a nice reward. big crowds were flowing in when we were leaving at 1030. go early!

One of my favorite hikes. Beautiful and fun! you will see definitely be able to see wildlife there. Expect a bit of climbing. Great view at the top.

Great hike with spectular views, but it is strenuous.

Difficult, but the views along the way up are beautiful - can be hard on the joints and toes, also slippery when wet.
You can see the Denver skyline on a clear day!

Great trail not too crowded and great views on the way up, the top is the reward.

Beautiful view of flat irons and boulder at summit. Bring lots of water for ascent.

Great Trail paths are easy to navigate not to hard for beginners just wear proper shoes for traction.

Really solid trail. The avalanche/rock area is very cool. There are some awesome views.

We arrived around 6am on a Saturday, the lot was just starting fill. Go early, avoid the crowds. You won't be disappointed by the views at the top. Lot of steep uphill, but not technical at all.

We got to the trailhead fairly early (6am) on a Saturday, and there were only a few other cars. I didn't really find this hike "hard" more of a "moderate" to me, but maybe that's because it did require a tiny bit of scrambling at one point. I would recommend trekking poles if you want to be quicker with your ascent/descent. I tore my ACL 3 months ago, and still managed this hike. The views are absolutely beautiful. We would definitely do this one again! I would recommend going early if you're like me and love to have the trail almost to yourself. :)

Great views, it is challenging though I don’t know if I would rate as hard

Loved the view here! If you plan on getting up to the top, theres a few areas you have to climb the mountain so be prepared for that, but I'm relatively out of shape and made it!

Excellent view of the Continental Divide and looking over Boulder. Make sure to go on the backside of the flatiron to see the view of the Continental Divide. The hike is short but straight up with switchbacks.

Very fun hike. Pretty steep at some points, but we stopped for breaks a few times on the way up. Lots of places to stop and chill in the shade on some boulders.

Nice trail. Beautiful views of boulder and close up the flatirons are spectacular. Trail was steep but well maintained. Great shorter trail!

Great views would rate this hike easy.

Great views of Boulder and Rockies.

Great views. Steep hike. Lots of people on a beautiful day. Landed in the morning from the east coast and jumped on this trail right away. Due to the elevation gain, we got tired very quickly. Drank lots of water. Fantastic day to start our vacation.

Pretty hard trail but not too bad! Path can be unclear at times as you have to actually climb over some rocks but it's a beautiful scene once at the top! The trip down is quick and easy which makes the hard trip up not so bad!

Perfect hike to get views quick. Stair-master-like trip up and quick trip down.