First and Second Flatiron Hike

First and Second Flatiron Hike is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Directions from Highway 36: Take the Baseline Road exit and travel west toward the mountains. Follow Baseline Road 1.5 miles passed the entrance for Chautaugua Park to the Gregory Canyon Trailhead. Turn left into the parking lot on a dirt road. A parking fee is charged at this trailhead for vehicles not registered in Boulder County or not displaying a Boulder Resident Permit. Permits can be obtained at the trailhead or at the Chautaugua Park Rangers Cottage.

Great hike, although a little crowded on the weekends.

I LOVED the flatirons! This was my first hike in Boulder as someone who was traveling from out of state. The elevation definitely makes this a bit more challenging, though I would say I struggled more with walking the inclined trail than the rocky terrain. Some of the areas were pretty challenging while others weren't so bad. Wear good hiking boots/shoes and you'll be set! The view from the top was fantastic.

I don’t understand why this is rated hard and Sanitas is rated moderate.

Great trail for a half day hike. View is awesome. We added the Flatiron loop on the way back.

Fun and currently in good condition. View at the top is tough to beat.

A great & intense little hike for a long lunch break (2hrs) in the middle of the day. Definitely one of my top 3 favorite hikes in Boulder.

Great elevation incline in first stretch and covered winding trailed going up. Beautiful views from top, as well as solid rocks!

No snow on the ground and amazing views 50% throughout. A good challenge on the elevation and incline. Plenty of room at the top to hang out and continue exploring.

Loved it! Fun and challenging with excellent views!

Perfect day hike for when someone is visiting that enjoys a bit of a challenge.

A bit snowy but overall beautiful.

One of my favorite hikes I’ve done. Spikes not needed but helpful today..

Great hike if you are looking for a workout! It’s steep a lot a lot of points but a short 2.5 miles up and back. Got there at sunrise (7am) and was back at my car at 9am. It’s icy as you get closer to the top. I recommend yaktrax or traction on the way back down but should be fine getting through the slick spots by sticking to the snow along the side. The earlier you get to the trail the better! It was starting to get crowded when I came back down but had the flatirons all to myself this morning :)

I’ve done this hike multiple times and absolutely love it. Not only does it offer amazing views, it’s not too bad once you make it off the paved path. I have some friends coming from out of town this weekend and I’d like to take them up the first and second flatiron but I’m worried about ice and snow. Has anyone hiked it within the last couple of days and can give a status update on conditions?

Love this trail. It stays soft and snowey after snowfall. But can remain icy for some time when the weather warms up. Beautiful Hike!!

I'm relatively new to hiking, and my friend and I not from the area, so this particular trek was difficult. On the first part of the hike out of the Chautauqua parking lot, it's paved and the trail rises at a relatively innocuous-looking incline, but I found myself needing to take frequent breaks.

Once the trail hits the tree line, the trail continues about the same incline over switchbacks and continuously more rocky terrain the trail basically becomes uneven rock stairs.

About 3/4 of the way up, there's a little scramble up a decent incline. This is where my buddy stopped and decided not to go further. Past this fairly clear landmark, the trail rises more steeply towards the summit, offering glimpses and peeks of the ground below. very near the top is a tree perfectly framed between two rocks that serves as a majestic lookout. An amazing hike, views from the summit.

If you're looking for a challenge, but want a solid hiking experience, I recommend it. But take your time and listen to your body if you're not acclimated. Stop for your O2 breaks when needed.

Completed the hike this morning. No ice. Great view at the top!

3/14/18 - today was warm, about mid 60's, so there wasn't any ice at the top. A few sections of the packed show was a little wet and slippery, but not difficult at all. I had brought microspikes just in case and didn't need to use them.

Did this hike with my 12 year old daughter. Started around 10:00 am and it wasn't very busy. Got to the top and took in the view for a few minutes. Made it back down around 11:30 and it was considerably busier. Great hike, strenuous but not difficult. there was some icy spots (mid March) so be careful. Great day hike, I recommend it.

Hiked this today, starting around 10:30am. The trail is so much calmer this time of year when the crowds die down. Spikes were definitely helpful, though not necessary. I’m not a particularly fast hiker, but I was lapping hikers without spikes. Beautiful hike with fantastic views of both sides of the mountain.

This was my first hike in Colorado back in the summer time. I’ve hiked it a few times now but it always takes a bit out of me. Granted, I run and climb mostly, but compared to other hikes I’ve been on, ran and climbed on, the flat irons manage to be a great work out for me.

PS: climbing the actual flat iron itself is amazingly ballsy but reaps a great reward.. I did it with no equipment at all (not at all smart but I’m risky), and I first off: I felt a great sense of gratitude as I made it alive because climbing down wasn’t much of an option so I had to climb all the way up.. but secondly the physical relief of making it to the top and resting and taking in the view.. man. I’d do it again but it requires quite a bit of focus ha

Icy in spots, but not too slippery.

I went Saturday around 12:30pm and found parking on the street. Street parking isn’t as bad as I expected. The trail is short, fun, and there wasn’t any snow when I went. Nice view from the top but kind of crowded at times.

Beautiful hike. A little bit crowded but extremely enjoyable with a nice spot up top for lunch.

It's a pretty busy trail because of its proximity to town, but a great trail nonetheless! Definitely not hard hard, but some technical areas are on there.

This was a great hike. Although steep in sections, this is more of a hard moderate than as hard hike on a good day. It was a clear day with no trail ice when we climbed it two days ago but the snow falling today.

Did this trail tonight after work with a couple of friends and our dogs. Really fun night hike! Spikes and poles would have been nice, but we didn't have them and were. Views of Boulder were gorgeous!

Great overlook

Microspikes required. I would not attempt without. I saw a few fall on their way down w/o trekking poles or microspikes.