Finch Lake Trail

Finch Lake Trail is a 11.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, horses, and snowshoeing. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This trail traverses a small part of the 1978 Ouzel Fire burn area

Super. Finch lake is very accessible (prepare for wet feet). The upper Pear lake currently has a lot of snow.

I ditto what josh said below, the last few miles after the burn scar are still full of snow so tread carefully. Stopped at this point as I kept falling inside the snow. The rest was great!

I started at the Finch Lake TH in Wild Basin region RMNP. There were only 2 other cars at that TH at about 9 AM start time. Nice!

The hike featured mostly dense forest with a couple openings to meadows, and landscape view north toward Long Peak and down into the valley where Ouzel Creek flows. Finch Lake was the main feature of course - a pleasant lake surrounded by dense forest and Mt. Copeland looking west. There was only one other group at Finch Lake. That's as secluded as it gets for a RMNP lake.

On the back back I highly recommend making it a loop and hike down into the valley (head toward the cascades at the only 3 way junction). Great views heading that way and you follow the creek out.

Note that the last 2 miles to the lake there was still 2 feet or more of snow. I had traction which helped. I slipped and fell once but I consider that a success lol. I did not have my waterproof boots so by the time I got there it look like I had already waded out into the lake. 42 inches of snow came down in Allenspark a couple weeks ago and seems it will be around for awhile.

We thought there might be enough snowpack to get to Finch Lake without snowshoes, which was definitely not the case. Sections with drop-off made for more sketchy post-holing as the day warmed up and things got slushier, so we called it quits around mile two. It's still about 80% snow as far as we went, and not many folks have been out there; the trail was hard to distinguish.
In spite of that, it was a beautiful day and we found some great moose tracks. Bummer that we couldn't make it to the lake.

If you start from the Finch Lake Trail head, it's about 10 miles round trip. Heading out to the lake is almost all up hill which can be rough. The trail can be rocky. Absolutely a gorgeous hike. Fantastic views and the lake is stunning.

7/10/16 - not going to lie, this one kinda kicked my butt despite the rather easy elevation gain. Very canopied in the trees, two small stream crossings. Not very busy which was nice, lake is absolutely beautiful and very blue. You might as well hoof it to the lake because that is the highlight.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Friday, September 11, 2015

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Monday, March 09, 2015

I went up hiking the next day. It was a sunny day, early in the morning. Then coming back through, it was still sunny. Lucky to get good pictures this day!

Sunday, March 08, 2015

Beautiful hike in the fall with all the aspen. Cloudy Day, but just right.

Monday, June 09, 2014

This was a nice moderate hike. It is mostly in trees. We went in early June and crossed several small streams from snow melt, and within a mile of the lake there were several patches of deep snow on the trail, but they were easily passable as they were packed or trekked through by previous hikers. The lake was beautiful and serene. Not many others around, which we like. We started from the Allenspark Trailhead about 9:45. Once we reached the lake, we had plenty of energy after a short lunch so we decided to walk 2 miles back to the split in the trail to visit the Calypso Cascades a couple miles on that trail. About halfway down on that trail there is a deep wash where the trail was washed out. You can still cross over to meet the trail, but it takes time, guts and caution. There is a safer route to the Cascades, so if you are looking for that, I'd recommend taking the Wild Basin trailhead. We got to the Cascades and a hiker recommended that we go on to the Ouzel Falls, which was just under a mile away. We were so glad we did, as it was the perfect ending to our adventure! It was larger than normal, supposedly, because of the extra snow melting this year. The bridge to view it was out, but you can climb around some boulders to get closer and a good mist! After a few stops to take pictures and talk, we headed back to our car at the trailhead and we estimated about 13 miles that we hiked. We made it back right around 5:00, dirty, a little wet, tired and accomplished!