Finch Lake Trail

Finch Lake Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This trail traverses a small part of the 1978 Ouzel Fire burn area

This is only a 7.3 mile hike if you start from the Allenspark Trailhead. If you start at the Finch Lake Trailhead it says it is 10 miles round trip but my GPS clocked 8.8 to the lake and back. Also this was not an "easy" hike. It is definitely more on the moderate side with a steady 4 mile climb to Finch Lake. Nice hike through thick forest most of the way. An occasional nice shot of the Wild Basin area but no peak views. The lake is very nice and quiet with some nice peaks surrounding. It was very quiet the day we were there.

I'm glad we read the reviews so we had a glimpse into what to expect for our backpacking camping hike to Finch Lake.

We live at 900 ft elevation so we knew we'd have extra challenges. We set out for Finch Lake from Pine Ridge campsite on Wednesday. We got a late start (1130am) but knew we'd get rain. It rained the entire hike. Due to being out of shape and the intense rain the hike was challenging. This shouldn't scare anyone who's in shape or lives higher than we do. We walked into the lake valley in the clouds which was really neat for our 12 year old son. The weather cleared enough for us to set up camp and eat dinner. That evening we were able to see some of the mountains around the lake but in the morning we were able to confirm why we'd decided to do this hike/Camp. Completely worth it!!!

A Beautiful lake. The mountains surrounding the lake were reflecting on the water. Saw a young beaver in the lake. The trail alternates between hard, moderate and occassionally easy.

I started at the Finch Lake trailhead in the Wild Basin area and it was up hill from there. Lots of up hill, and when you think you are done with going up hill, you go uphill. If I'm not mistaken it was up hill both ways...that's what I'm going to tell my kids anyway. Not easy as the rating suggest. Anywho...Good tree coverage and lots of rocks, so watch your step. I saw a lot of pretty wildflowers too. Because it rained most the day the trail was wet, slippery, and sloppy in spots. It was a beautiful hike.

secluded is the word

we passed no one to and from the lake. the views going to the lake are all wooded so there is no panoramic views, but it was the most relaxing and secluded pine forest hike ive ever done. finch lake is beautiful and we did not have time to go on to pear lake unfortunately. i would recommend this hike for anyone that has done most of the more popular routes and are looking for less traveled paths.

PS - don't go into the water at finch lake - my wife pointed out leeches were all over lake bed

Beautiful hike. The trail up to Finch Lake is very wooded, so not much in the way of views, but the woods are very green and peaceful. There is a view of Longs Peak as you pass through an older burn scar. Above Finch Lake to Pear Lake the trail gets a bit more difficult. That last mile has a bit of water on the trail, and the last half-mile still has a few short snow fields to hike over. Pear Lake is stunning, you come around a corner in the trail and there the whole thing is.

Super. Finch lake is very accessible (prepare for wet feet). The upper Pear lake currently has a lot of snow.

I ditto what josh said below, the last few miles after the burn scar are still full of snow so tread carefully. Stopped at this point as I kept falling inside the snow. The rest was great!

I started at the Finch Lake TH in Wild Basin region RMNP. There were only 2 other cars at that TH at about 9 AM start time. Nice!

The hike featured mostly dense forest with a couple openings to meadows, and landscape view north toward Long Peak and down into the valley where Ouzel Creek flows. Finch Lake was the main feature of course - a pleasant lake surrounded by dense forest and Mt. Copeland looking west. There was only one other group at Finch Lake. That's as secluded as it gets for a RMNP lake.

On the back back I highly recommend making it a loop and hike down into the valley (head toward the cascades at the only 3 way junction). Great views heading that way and you follow the creek out.

Note that the last 2 miles to the lake there was still 2 feet or more of snow. I had traction which helped. I slipped and fell once but I consider that a success lol. I did not have my waterproof boots so by the time I got there it look like I had already waded out into the lake. 42 inches of snow came down in Allenspark a couple weeks ago and seems it will be around for awhile.

LEAVE NO TRACE. ENJOY.