Finch Lake and Pear Lake Trail

Finch Lake and Pear Lake Trail is a 12.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fly fishing, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This is a great hike in the Wild Basin area of RMNP that takes you to two scenic lakes.

Trail is free of snow. It is almost entirely in the forest with few open views, but the forest is dense and beautiful. Pear Lake is especially lovely. Saw very few people on the trail on a summer Tuesday. Definitely not a hard hike, I would rate it as moderate--reached Finch Lake (5 miles per NPS) in under 2 hours and another 45 minutes to Pear Lake (2 miles from Finch Lake, 7 miles total per NPS).

Hiked from Finch Lake TH to Finch Lake and then on to Pear Lake. Only snow on trail is right at Finch Lake where you turn to head to Pear Lake and on the final approach to Pear Lake. Had gaiters and poles, but really didn't need them as the snow was solid enough to bear my weight.

There is snow around the west side of Pear Lake that you will have to negotiate if you want to circumnavigate the lake, but you can climb up on top of it.

Just came back from an overnight trip to Finch lake. In the 18th n out the 19th. First day was great. Dry and sunny. This is not that difficult of a trail without the snow. Even with the elevation gain of 2772. Patches of snow about 3 miles in that were mostly mushy and def made more manageable with snow shoes. As you go towards Pear lake it just gets worse. Only met three people total on our first day. It rained last night with all the thunder n lightning to go with it.
Today was cloudy and it hailed, rained and snowed from 11am n was still snowing till we got to our car around 2pm.
There is a dedicated campsite in Pear Lake I don’t think Finch lake has one. Of the two Pear is the biggest and prettiest. Second day it was just us.

Did this hike on OCT 29, 2017. Only had one day to hike to in RMNP, and very glad I chose this trail! Trailhead is well-marked with a few parking spots. Some guidebooks reported that some of the early trail junctions were confusing, but when I hiked it there were very clear signs at every junction with no difficulty in route-finding. Gradual elevation gain with great views of Rockies and Longs Peak. Trail Descends slightly into Finch Lake, which is absolutely beautiful (and had finches). I think it is the additional time and elevation gain (a little inside 1,000ft additional gain) to Pear lake which makes this hike "difficult", but definitely worth it. Pear lake is amazing with fantastic views. Very windy in late October once out of the trees at the lake. There was snow but it wasn't prohibitive or required anything other than hiking boots. However, it did snow heavily the day after the hike, so I assume this is probably the latest in the year you could do it without winter weather gear. The two lakes together roundtrip on my Garmin was 14.4 miles, and we finished just before sundown.

Were it summertime with a little more daylight and less wind, I think it'd be totally cool to make it up to the third lake (Hutcheson Lakes)- an additional 1.8mi and 800 or so foot gain…

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Beautiful hike, slightly challenging on the ascensions, but overall well worth the effort. I highly recommend making it to pear lake, it is beautiful. Great trail overall.

Monday, August 07, 2017

A great hike, challenging in some areas, but I wouldn't say that it was difficult, then again we only hiked to Finch Lake.

Saturday, September 23, 2017