Fancy Pass Trail

Fancy Pass Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Cliff, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Best hike I've ever done. Definitely doable and the views are incredible.

Did this with Missouri pass and I thought the trail and the scenery on Missouri were better.

Awsome!!

Awesome hike, we hiked from Holy Cross city to Fancy Pass and then to Missouri Pass, backpacked near Missouri Lakes. The passes we're still pretty snowy and pretty challenging at times. Having hiking poles and microspikes made this a lot more doable. Coming down Missouri pass we lost the trail under the snow and wound up going off trail at times to find a way down. The only additional thing I wish I'd brought is something to slide down on.

My husband and our two dogs backpacked to Fancy Lake this past Saturday June 3rd 2017 to Sunday June 4th 2017. If you don't like hiking/camping in the snow I would highly recommend waiting to make the trip. The beginning of the trail is light on snow but quickly becomes patchy until it is 100% covered in snow with snow being everything you see. The trail was completely lost and the only way to make the hike up was to follow the footsteps of those who had braved the trip before us (we attempted to call the ranger station prior to arrival, no answer). We ran into one set of hikers (not backpacker) Saturday evening and a pack of hikers Sunday on our way down.
The trail we used was clearly not the usual trial since it did take us through rather precarious and steep inclines. Nothing too scary though, just clearly not right. What saved us was the map I downloaded from AllTrails (thanks guys!) and we were able to stay fairly close to the actual trail although clearly not on it. There's no service on the mountain so if you decide to do this be sure you have access to the map offline. It was very reassuring to be able to see my little blue dot moving along the trail.
Despite the poorly marked trail and the banks of snowfall it was a lovely trip. We'll probably make the hike to FancyLake again in the summer once the snow has melted away. The lake was frozen when we arrived save a small patch of blue. From what we could see (a small patch of budding wild flowers here or there, a roaring river, a bright blue spot on the lake) it was clear this place would be a dream to walk around in once the snow melts.
I would highly recommend bringing trekking poles, clothes warmer than you think you'll need and perhaps even snowshoes or a sled. The mountain has some AMAZING areas to sled down if you're willing to risk running into a wayward tree! Would definitely come up with a plan to dismount or break. But if you like sledding, when I say amazing, I MEAN A CLEARING CLEAR DOWN THE MOUNTAIN TO SLED ON.

Awesome trail to the lake. My friend and i decided to continue on and turn it into a 14er hike on the Missouri mountain and saw even greater views of the lakes

did missouri lakes and stayed on the back side the first night, came over fancy pass and finished up. super beautiful loop.

Perfect weekend of backpacking. We started with fancy pass to Treasure Cove Lake then headed to Harvey Lake about 4 miles down the trail. Headed back towards Treasure Cove the next day and went over Missouri Pass and to the lakes. Absolutely gorgeous the entire way.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

We hiked the fancy pass trail to the Missouri Lakes trail to hike a loop. The trail was beautiful! Made the day of it, stopping to fish at fancy lake and one of the Missouri lakes. The wildflowers were everywhere!

Friday, August 28, 2015

We hiked in over Fancy Pass and camped in the valley on the other side near Treasure Vault Lake. Gorgeous place to camp. Hiked out the next day over to the Missouri Lakes to finish off the loop. Pretty well traveled area because of the relatively short distance, but a very nice overnighter.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Great hike with lots of beautiful features. We hiked over from the Missouri Lakes side after camping there the previous night. Great trail that I would certainly recommend to anyone looking for an alpine experience.

Sunday, March 08, 2015

I like hiking in Holy Cross Wilderness. The mountains are beautiful.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Monday, August 02, 2010

beautiful hike - we did the Fancy Pass / Missouri Lakes loop. I strongly recommend doing it from the Fancy Pass side first, as the skree fields would make the descent more difficult than the ascent.