Fall River Reservoir

Fall River Reservoir is a 1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near St. Mary's, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

fly fishing

Road definitely requires four wheel drive type of clearance...this isn't something I'd take a car on. Even in our Chevy Silverado I was still tossed around. The road is just very very rocky. The lake? Very pretty! Fast moving clouds on the day. Saw fish rise but no luck (might be due to keeping an eye on our 1yo & 2.5yo kiddos). Didn't experience the full trail around the lake, but saw others doing it. Gorgeous waterfall at the inlet, and streams flowing into the reservoir too. Pretty wildflowers to keep my daughter entertained as well. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: the amount of trash. There were shards of glass around most obvious campsites, cans, what appeared to be a rolled up tent & stakes, fishing line. I picked up a bunch & took it out. If you visit anywhere, please practice leave no trace so all can enjoy the beauty we are blessed with!!

fly fishing

Love this place!! We meant to go to Chins lake but ended up taking the road straight instead and found ourselves at Fall River reservoir. The road leading up to the reservoir is definitely a bumpy one and 4 wheel drive is definitely suggested. You can make it to the reservoir in a stock SUV (our friends make it in a 2013 Outback) but you will have to go very slow and watch your tire placement. We made it up with ease in a '98 4Runner. The fishing up here was awesome! Lots of decent sized cutthroat trout that were taking flies like candy! According to the nice ranger, Cass, I spoke with on the phone, you can take non motorized watercraft on this reservoir as well which may help get you a bigger fish. We plan on bringing our kayaks next time for sure! You can camp up here as well but it definitely gets busy on the weekends. We went up on a Sunday around 11am and all the weekend campers were packing up and getting ready to leave and there were lots of them! Definitely a spot worth checking out if you enjoy a good rocky road and great fishing!!

Monday, July 18, 2016