Estes Cone Trail

Estes Cone Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The summit of Estes Cone trail offers some of the best views found in the area. Getting to the summit takes a bit of effort, but it well worth it. The summit offers a 360-degree view that includes Estes Valley, Mummy Range, the Continental Divide, Longs Peak, Mount Meeker, Twin Sisters, and Lily Lake below.

incredible views from the summit if you manage to stay on the trail

This hike was ok, not my favorite. The entire hike is in dense dry pine forest, I guess I prefer more lush scenery. And the only panoramic view is at the summit, and you still have to scramble to the top of the highest pile of boulders to see it. The last mile to the summit is also very steep and rocky, hard on the knees. I don’t recommend it for kids. I hiked it in September and was hoping for some views of the changing aspens, there were a few trees along the trail that had changed but other then that not good for aspen viewing.

Hard hike but worth the view!!

If you’re not parked in the parking lot (which fills up really early), be VERY careful where you park as they tow cars parked on the side of the road on the side of the yellow curvy road sign that is closer to the trail. As per an officer, you’re ok if you’re not parked after that sign (on the way up), not in front of a no parking sign, and have both wheels completely off the road, i.e. to the side of the white line.

Great hike. The views don’t come until the top however,. Until then it is hiking through forest with some wildflowers, and then when you reach the top, the views are breathtaking.

Best view you can get without climbing Long's Peak (I think, haven't done that yet). To the north we could see Lily Lake, Estes lake and Sprague lake. Bring a snack or lunch to sit and enjoy the views with. Watch out for bold Chipmunks and take your trash with you. We spent a week hiking and only picked up one small chip bag along a trail, that was a nice change from what I'm use to.

Wife and I hiked the estes cone trail today 7.10 in a little under 4 hrs. Arrived at trailhead just before 9 and lot was full so parked on the road with a short walk back up. Great overall, moderately challenging hike, esp the last .5 mil. The trail is hard to dicern near the top and back down so be sure to notice your surroundings. View from the top is worth all those steps.

It is a hard trail. Up near the summit, the carens disappear near the summit so it is very easy to get lost coming back down.

Wonderful views of Longs Peak. Nice steady climb. (~2000’ in three miles) Views at the top are very nice! Also, you can access it from Lilly lake or the ranger station.

One of our favorites, and doesn't require having to go through the national park to get to the trail head. Loved the scramble at the top, and the windy views are worth it. Would not recommend this trail of you have small children that do not like scrambling.

This is a wonderful hike. It is easy to find and offers amazing views from the summit.

I started from the Long's Peak Ranger Station parking lot. It is easily accessible from Highway 7. The road were plowed, paved and easily accessible.

We started later in the day, around 1 pm. That was probably a mistake because the snow was a bit messy and slushy due to the warm weather. The trail to Long's Peak and Chasm Lake was fairly busy, we saw 5 groups going in both directions over the first half mile. We saw only one group on the trail once we turned North toward the Cone. This was a nice surprise to see the trail nearly empty.

The trail is well packed and easy to hike in micro spikes. Snowshoes were not necessary. The snow was not very deep and potholing was not an issue. The initial 2 miles of the hike are rolling hills with relatively little elevation gain. It was a very laid back hike. The final 1.2 miles is where the majority of the elevation gain comes from. Once you cross Storm Pass Trail you are on the final .7 miles of ascent. The snow is very sloppy here and you could see areas where people slid 5 to 6 feet through the slush. The trail is very steep here and very slick. Also, follow the cairns. I got a little lost because a set of foot prints that looked like the trail lead to a dead end. I used my GPS to find my way back to the trail.

It may be getting to be a little late in the snow season to attempt this trail. Know if you are comfortable hiking on steep slick terrain. The snow is beginning to melt and there were small trails of melted water that made the trail even messier. There were marks in the snow from what looked like falls by other hikers. The descent was difficult and I did fall one time, though I was not hurt.

The view is one of the best in Colorado because you can see the entire continental divide as it winds through Rocky Mountain National Park. It is pretty amazing and humbling. Long's Peak is definitely the highlight of the view, but the whole thing is pretty amazing.

Memorial Day weekend 2017. Icy in spots toward the top, slippery in spots. Nice view of Longs Peak from the summit.

Nice quiet trail with great views at the top. Snowshoes not needed as the trail was almost all packed snow, but I was very happy I brought my micro spikes. There were some rogue snowshoe tracks a bit after the sign saying 0.7 miles to the top, right as you start to really gain elevation up the cone, but I was able to find the trail easily with the many cairns. Took me 3 hours round trip.

We hiked from the Longs Peak ranger station to the peak and back.

Snowshoes were handy, as some people in our group didn’t have them and were up to their hips in the recent snow. I didn’t bring spikes however, and the snowshoes were tough on the icy/rocky bits; just my boots didn’t grip well as there was a lot of hard packed icy snow.

That being said, if I’d had the right gear, I would have enjoyed the last mile up/down a lot more. Due to the snow and ice, it took about 6 hours.

The views were beautiful, though, even before we got to the top. Highly recommend if you have the right gear with you.

Hiked up here with my dad about a year and a half ago, and what a great hike it was! We started on the Longs Peak Trailhead and stayed on it for the first half mile, then took the Estes Cone trail the rest of the way past Eugenia Mine and Storm Pass. The trail was in great condition from the trailhead to Storm Pass. After Storm Pass the trail became a bit hard to follow, but there were many cairns along the way, which were a big help. After passing through a nice coniferous and birch forest, the views really began to abound on the way up to Storm Pass. Once we got to the summit, they were even better. The only difficult part was the last half mile, which gained about 600 feet of elevation. Can't wait to return to the area!

Sat. 3/10/18 -- light snow, temps in the low 30s
start time: 10:00am
total hiking time: ~3hrs
trail traffic: low

- ~1" fresh snow on the trail, otherwise packed underneath and icy in various sections
- gaiters: nice, not necessary
- snowshoes: unnecessary
- microspikes: wicked handy, perhaps necessary to safely navigate the topmost sections after Storm Pass
- trail a little hard to follow in rocky sections towards the top, look for tracks or cairns

This was an amazing hike, highly recommended. The trail was mostly snow pack but relatively easy travel. I wore micro-spikes, and I would recommend doing the same, but you could probably get by with just a good pair of boots. The trail is clear all the way to the juncture of storm pass. From this point, the trail becomes steeper, with a few more slippery spots along the way. There is one more junction that leads the rest of the way up to the summit of Estes Cone. After this junction the trail becomes a little more obscure. Cairns will mark the trail as you make your way up but it seems that there a few different options. The views from the top are spectacular. Longs peak presents itself to the south, and the peaks of Otis, Sharkstooth, Powell and McHenrys rise in the west. Plenty of good rock formations at the top to search for a good sitting place. The whole journey took me about 4 hours. Plus an hour to sit and enjoy the views.

We hiked this trail on New Year's Day, so there was barely any traffic. There was snow pack and patches of ice, but we didn't feel the need to stop and put on our micro spikes at any point. In the last half mile to the summit the trail became difficult to find because of the snow and "rogue" snowshoe tracks. But there were plenty of cairins to help lead you back to the trail. I think a moderate rating is accurate.

We were first people on the trail and had to do some route finding. Got off the trail a couple of times. Beautiful views at the top.

We wore spikes and gators today. Pretty easily followed the well-placed cairns to the summit.

Hiked this trail yesterday. The views were absolutely worth it! Like the others have stated, all the elevation comes in the last 0.7 miles. This is a great hike if you like to get off the trail and climb a bit. Took us about 1:45 up and 1:15 down. Clocked roughly 7.4 miles.

easy to get to, well maintained, and a great destination. I would take my out of town friends on this one-- it won't kill you but the view at the end is great. only problem is all the elevation happens in the last 0.7, but it's not bad

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Nice and easy hike from Longs Peak Trailhead for the first 2 miles. The last mile is moderate and at an incline until you get to Estes Cone (which you will have to traverse up some rocks for about 1/4 mile). The views from Estes Cone are fabulous while the trail itself is ok. I would recommend this hike for the vistas.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Loved every minute of this hike. It took 1hr 45 mins to reach the cone at a very leisurely pace, and another 1.5 hours to get done. The scenery was beautiful - nice blend of forest and wilderness. Hiking the top is tricky so be sure to follow the cairns.

Monday, August 14, 2017

We just hiked it today. Absolutely amazing views from the top. We had the trail mostly to ourselves.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Perfect trail for those who want to reach a peak but dont have the time to hike one of the big boys. We could have stayed at the top all day but had to scurry down fast to beat the storm that was coming.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

This was an unexpected hike & trail. Literally the nicest hike we experienced our entire stay, including Flat Top and Hallet's. It was less busy over the holiday weekend. Start at Storm Pass Trailhead, found parking on side of road. For sure-Take the last .7 mile trek to the top of Cone, and when you "think" you're at the top, unless you are at the tippy top and see 360 degree, panoramic breathtaking view of Glacier Basin and surrounding Mountaintops, keep looking for the manmade trail rock pile guides, one little Boulder climb at very top to reach your summit. We are not professional hikers nor climbers, did not have poles, and we are totally afraid of heights and we did it and it was worth it! Glad we pushed our minds over matter at the top. Approx 5 hrs in and out with picnic at top and leisurely pace.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

I got engaged on top. Hard at the end but well worth it for the views.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

awesome trail, great views, relatively easy.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Too bad it was overcast, it hid some gorgeous views. But the hike was worth it, ditto what the previous reviewed posted about the last 0.7 miles, keep an eye out for the stone sculptures, it will make it easier to go up. And take your time, it's a pretty steep gain in altitude.

Got there at 8:45am and had to park on the side of the road, get there early if you can.