Engineer Mountain Trail

Engineer Mountain Trail is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

This trail starts near the bottom of Coal Bank Pass on the Durango side. It climbs steadily through aspens and pine trees, and traverses under the East Face of Engineer Mountain. After a brief descent, it continues to climb north until it ends at the Colorado Trail to the west of Molas Pass.

Easy to find and to navigate. Stunning views from the summit. A delightful taste of the high country outside of Durango without being overly intimidating for the relatively uninitiated.

Though my dog and I didn't make it all the way to the rock-scattered top (because dogs are even less fond of souvenir handholds than I am), we stuck it out until the scrambling started looking a bit too dicey. Until the sharp ascent starting at Engineer's base, the hike was slow and leisurely, with a series of gently sloping switchbacks leading through fields of bobbing wildflowers and aspen groves before darting up into the forest proper. I took my time, despite the relatively high mileage for a day hike (for me, at least), and stopped to admire my favorite flowers: zauschneria, coreopsis, bluebell, prairie-fire and, later, past the tundra line, purple and blue columbine. I'm hoping to try for the summit next weekend, this time with gloves and climbing shoes and without my long-suffering pup, but I'll probably start off at Coal Bank Pass and head straight up.

geocaching

Went up halfway and enjoyed wildflowers and amazing views

Spectacular hike! I would rate this one as Hard. You will enjoy wild flowers everywhere along the way, including Columbines, our beautiful state flower. I would definitely hike this again!!!

Great trail. Look forward to doing it again.

Hiked up to the summit on June 19, 2017. It was a very fun hike and sometimes challenging. There was plenty of snow at the beginning of the trail and through the meadow. We lost the trail for a little bit making the hike harder and longer than it had to be. There is some rock scrambling as you get close to the top.