Engineer Mountain Trail

Engineer Mountain Trail is a 12.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

This trail starts near the bottom of Coal Bank Pass on the Durango side. It climbs steadily through aspens and pine trees, and traverses under the East Face of Engineer Mountain. After a brief descent, it continues to climb north until it ends at the Colorado Trail to the west of Molas Pass.

Beautiful view and moderate level of difficulty.

off road driving

Was the starting point for an all day adventure! Great trail, moderate and transversed in high gear for some and low around obstacles. Super views.

Go early, trail gets crowded. Beautiful wildflowers.

We only went 3 miles up and back down, but it was so beautiful!!! Lots of wildflowers and beautiful views of the mountains !

Another special hike up this great trail through a sea of Wildflowers.

Great view from the top!!

Very difficult with snowshoes, but worth the effort. I didn't see a single person out and back, just a lot of wildlife tracks. Including big kitty. Navigating is very tricky because of the snow, so I brought my GPS watch + compass and it worked out fine. Bring an Ice axe, as some of the switchbacks can be deadly if you take a fall.

Easy to find and to navigate. Stunning views from the summit. A delightful taste of the high country outside of Durango without being overly intimidating for the relatively uninitiated.

Though my dog and I didn't make it all the way to the rock-scattered top (because dogs are even less fond of souvenir handholds than I am), we stuck it out until the scrambling started looking a bit too dicey. Until the sharp ascent starting at Engineer's base, the hike was slow and leisurely, with a series of gently sloping switchbacks leading through fields of bobbing wildflowers and aspen groves before darting up into the forest proper. I took my time, despite the relatively high mileage for a day hike (for me, at least), and stopped to admire my favorite flowers: zauschneria, coreopsis, bluebell, prairie-fire and, later, past the tundra line, purple and blue columbine. I'm hoping to try for the summit next weekend, this time with gloves and climbing shoes and without my long-suffering pup, but I'll probably start off at Coal Bank Pass and head straight up.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Went up halfway and enjoyed wildflowers and amazing views

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Spectacular hike! I would rate this one as Hard. You will enjoy wild flowers everywhere along the way, including Columbines, our beautiful state flower. I would definitely hike this again!!!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great trail. Look forward to doing it again.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Hiked up to the summit on June 19, 2017. It was a very fun hike and sometimes challenging. There was plenty of snow at the beginning of the trail and through the meadow. We lost the trail for a little bit making the hike harder and longer than it had to be. There is some rock scrambling as you get close to the top.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Sunday, December 18, 2016

We love this hike! It's strenuous but has a very high return on investment with incredible views. If you are able to scrabble on shale and climb over a 4-5 ft ledge in the chimney to get to the very top, it's totally worth it. Its truly the feeling of standing on top of the world. Oh, and for only-average experienced hikers like us, there was this great gasp-and-moment-of-fear scrabbling over the chimney as we looked at the shale coved ledge we could slide off. It turned out to be a huge confidence builder as we realized after, it was no big deal.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

After a recommendation by our friend Debra VanWinegarden (see her blogspot) we enjoyed shoulder high wildflowers and gorgeous views. Our time was short so we only hiked to the "bus stop" log and after a quick snack got back to our car just in time before an afternoon storm.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Gorgeous views. Wish I brought an actual camera and not just my phone.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

The wild flowers are unbelievable. Bring a sweatshirt or light jacket and a good camera.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Great hike for all levels... Even took 3&5 year old with us! They did great, with a few hand hold places!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

This trail is used for the popular mountain biking route from Molas Pass to Coal Bank Pass. There are a few tough climbs and a few areas that can stay pretty sloppy and muddy if there has been any rain. But the fast and flowy sections, as well as the long and fast descent at the end, make this an amazing ride with amazing views.