Elkhorn Creek Trail

Elkhorn Creek Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We followed the Elkhorn Creek Trail, having downloaded to smartphone, and followed the GPS tracking to make sure we were on the right trail. It was an uninspiring walk on a dirt trail with nice views, but not what we expected ending in some old pasture. More people seemed to have taken the trail on the right of the parking lot, The Lady Moon Trail, to the Disappointment Falls Trail. We actually walked on other trails on the way back and found a trail to the creek, so whoever made this GPS tracking trail should have said it ended in some pasture not 'on a creek trail'. Next time I go back I'll be better prepared to send All Trails a correction with photos to be included.

needs better signage but if you use a map and compass you won't get lost. lots of downed trees by the falls

I did this in conjunction with Lady Moon and a bit of Granite Ridge, making a solid 12 mile loop. Once you get a little ways back the trails aren't as well maintained or as visible as the sign at the trailhead would lead one to believe. Very isolated with a number of out and back spurs with improvised campsites to explore. Lots of sign, but didn't see anything other than birds and a good amount of bones. For solitude and peace, it's hard to beat.

Got a quarter of a mile up and there was a moose laying down on the side of the trail! So we turned around...

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

This is a beautiful area. I did have a hard time following the trails and sometimes I couldn't even find them. There are numerous walking, jeep and cow trails that crisscross. I recommend taking a map or a picture of the map at the trailhead so you have a general sense of where you are. I hiked to Disappointment Falls then made a loop with Lady Moon, Granite Ridge and Elkhorn Creek trails. There was no one else around so it's a great place if you want some peace and quiet.