Echo Lake Trail

Echo Lake Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 68 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: This park is closed after sunset.

icy

Couldn’t find part of the trail but still had fun by the frozen lake. Snow is packed. Microspikes not needed

Nice easy walk. We simply went to look at Mount Evans and ended up stopping at Echo Lake. Lots of folks using snow shoes, but I had on tactical dress shoes. We made it about half way around the lake before turning around to meet up with the rest of our group. Nice area.

This is a beautiful hike along the lake and through the forest. We went snowshoeing for the first time today, so it's a great trail for beginners, especially with kids. The last half mile or so is along the road, so we took off the snowshoes for that part. The lake is frozen & the trail is in good condition.

Great easy and pretty loop. A portion of it is on the road though, so not ideal. Great for kids. We took our time and explored around the water and it still took only 40 minutes.

closed
private property

Closed after sunset and there is “security” watching. Major bummer drove over an hour to see the stars and lake for 5 seconds

Nice trail. Very pretty hike along the lake. Flat but at a bit higher elevation so nice hike to see how you feel above 10,000 feet. If you’re feeling like you want a little more challenge that offers great views you only need to hike about 10 minutes on the Chicago trail. Nice hike if you have small children as well.

A beautiful, short walk in the woods to the lodge. Views at first when at Echo Lake (much smaller than I thought it would be), but no views on the walk, since you're among the trees. I wouldn't make this the destination hike if you're driving far to get here, perhaps a warm up or something to stretch the legs as you head further on your journey.

Georgetown has a ton of amazing little hikes and is a walkable town. We did the echo lakes trail, but went off the path to the elevation hikes that aren’t listed on this site. I don’t remember what they are called, but they are on the signs at the trail head. You can also get up to the Chicago lakes trail. I think we were on it for about a mile. Gorgeous area, no matter what you choose you can’t go wrong.

My children (4yo twins and 22m old) enjoyed this “walkabout” - lots of nice picnics table areas, heavier trafficked area.

Quick easy hike to warm up or stretch the legs before heading to Evans!

More of a walk than a hike, and not "really" a loop, since the western side is along the road. But a beautiful, nice walk. Great views of Mt Evans from the southern side. Strollers could do this trail, it is flat. Trail is free from snow.

I wouldn’t consider this a loop trail. Half of it is walking along a main road.

I wouldn’t consider this a loop trail. Half of it is walking along a main road.

Beautiful and easy loop! A little chilly - bring layers. There's a nice picnic area at the beginning of the lake and a restaurant down the road on the right. This trail was cleared of snow when we were there. We went on a Monday - very peaceful and quiet!

Pretty but short. Lots of snow still on trail but fairly easy to follow because it runs along a fence line. Temperature dropped 20 degrees when a storm blew through. Bring layers! There is a restaurant at the end of the trail.

Very easy trail! Just a path around the lake. Pretty highly trafficked, but great views!

Little hard in the snow to find the main trail but definitely glad we brought snowshoes and spikes. It’s pretty but was somewhat full of people when we went on a Sunday. Possibly because of an REI van expedition that was there at the same time.

Hiked Sunday 1/27. Very enjoyable hike. The lake was frozen and covered with snow, so I missed out on some views, but it was still very pretty. I liked the aesthetic of walking through the trees.

Wed Dec 12 2018

Super easy and beautiful!

Wed Oct 03 2018

The views were great, the trail is REALLY easy. But I wouldn’t call the loop kid-friendly due to the fact that the second half of the “loop” is literally along the “scenic highway”. Code for you’re walking on the side of the road with your child. If I did this hike again I would have to do it as an out and back, and that really would take away from the beautiful views of the lake from the roadside. Probably great for someone hiking solo though.

Sun Sep 30 2018

Great little nature trail, except for where you have to walk along the highway. Pretty views.

Sat Sep 15 2018

Great views for out of town guests who don’t have the time or desire to go for a hike.

Tue Sep 11 2018

The lake is set in an absolutely gorgeous area of the mountains. The walk through the forest is great with lots of small wildlife everywhere. The only disappointing part of the hike was the latter half walking along the scenic byway. Views were great but who wants their kids on the street...

Sat Sep 01 2018

Not a true loop and very flat. I lost interest.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Short trail. Kinda packed with visitors. Pretty views.