East Vail Falls is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

I would say it is a moderate short hike. Good for kids as well. There is a up hill climp so where good hiking shoes. Not much water coming down probably due to lack of rain but worth to see. No parking but there is a close parking lot near by ( about a half a mile walk) and you need to walk to the falls.

This climb was something else! I was skeptical at first seeing the difficulty as Hard. But the photos were so beautiful and only 1.4 miles was a lot shorter then other things around. My recommendation is as follows:

1. Read the other reviews below and as much as you can before heading up. All the things I read on here (good or bad) were pretty accurate. Everyone agrees for the most part that animals and kids can’t make it too far up this hike. I definitely agree!
2. Most important thing I learned and would advise: ONE AT A TIME ON THE ROPES from the low falls to mid way! My fiancé went up ahead of me and I was a good ways behind, taking pictures of course, and I could not believe how many things were falling behind him. When on an incline that steep (especially if/when you’re relying on the ropes) you can’t dodge falling rocks and you are in their direct path. I didn’t always hear what was falling until it flew past me. The biggest was a rock slightly larger then the size of my fist. We almost made it to the top but called it a day because it looked like rain was coming in.
The climb down: again, ONE AT A TIME GOING DOWN TOO. This time, I went down first and once again rocks were falling. We thought we were spaced out pretty well but the best I can say to do is wait. Also it’s nearly impossible to not slide going down (which causes Durst rocks branches ex to fall as well) so just take your time. There are plenty of good rocks and strong roots to anchor in to.

I would agree with the difficulty being hard, but if you prepare enough and take your time you will get some incredible veiws and experiences!

Great short hike. Definitely very steep but the ropes make it manageable. It rained heavily this morning, so it was a bit sketchy coming back down. Awesome views of the falls. Fun quick little hike. Definitely recommend stopping here if you're in the area. One of the falls has a large cave like rock overhang that would make a decent spot for a lunch break. I'll be returning.

As far as difficulty, I have very little experience with technical hikes but found this to be fairly easy. The descent is the part where you must exercise the most caution. Take your time!

Beautiful waterfall but this should be rated as hard.
Extremely steep and dangerous.
Half the hike is walking through a neighborhood.

I would’ve said four star but husband and son said two. I would definitely say it’s more difficult than a moderate due to the ropes and the difficulty getting back down. The waterfall is beautiful. It’s a great hike if you know what you’re getting into, but as others have said, definitely not for small kids, even those under 13, IMHO.

Get ready for your heart rate to spike! The hike really begins at the 5 acre parcel, in the middle of an affluent neighborhood. It's hidden so be on the lookout. Would not recommend kids or animals due to elevation climb with ropes. Yes, ropes. Last leg of hike requires rope assistance. It's very very steep. Get ready for dust and dirt.

Loved it! Very steep needed to hold onto the ropes provided. SO BEAUTIFUL!!! A lot of fun but best for athletic older kids and adults. Could be quite dangerous in spots for younger kids. The path is very thin and not super well marked in a few spots. Definitely a hidden gem!!!!

Definitely hard with young kids. Fun climb with the ropes. Several loose big rock sent rolling down the climbing area which was dangerous. When to the top of the falls. Not your typical moderate hike. Also rope got move to a more difficult path. Harder going down.

Beautiful falls! Fun hike and different from just walking up. Agree with Ashley and Anna, a little more than moderate as you have to rely on the ropes once you get past crossing the falls.

Like anything in Vail, the trail is right near the highway but beautiful nonetheless. The gps directions will take you to a parking lot near the falls, but it’s not immediately apparent where to go. Just past where you park, you’ll turn right on Bridge Street and then your first left onto Lupine Drive. The falls are visible from the road and there’s an obvious trail from that point on. A couple slippery stream crossings, some light bushwhacking, and a scramble up to the top with the help of a series of ropes is all part of the experience. It’s not a far trek, but I wouldn’t recommend this trail for young kids or anyone particularly afraid of heights. Otherwise, it’s a fun, quick trip that’s easily accessible from Vail with waterfall views all the way.

Beautiful hike and worth the mud, but agree it’s not moderate. We slipped a lot in the mud. If taking kids would recommend that they’re 12 or older.

Nice little hike tho definitely not moderate after the first waterfall crossing. That stuff is straight up and eroded. There’s a rope, but I would not rely on it. It’s pretty tattered. We didn’t make it to the top, but about halfway. We brought the dog however I wouldn’t recommend it if you don’t want to worry about them down climbing the erosion. Our pup did well, but she’s pretty agile.

Beautiful and fun hike! I would definitely question moderate level. From the base of the waterfall to the top you there are ropes to help you hike up through the trees! Definitely on the more difficult side!
A little hard to find the trail head just head toward the waterfall and the trail starts in an empty city owned lot!

Muddy, slippery, gorgeous waterfall. Quick elevation gain was a little bit of a shocker on my legs at the beginning because it was my first hike of the season, but it was fine after I acclimated. Ice patch at the top under the falls was a little slippery, but the views were gorgeous! No snow on the trail; crossing the logs over the lower part of the falls was wet and slippery. Rope at the upper part of the hike to assist you on the climb up. This hike was so much fun.

Gorgeous! It was too slippery from the warm weather and the snow freezing for me to get to the top today. I will definitely come back for this one.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

We almost missed this trail as it's hardly marked from the main road. The first ¾ of a mile were pretty easy. After that, it took some assistance from ropes tied to trees. But getting to stand at the top of the falls was so worth it! Be careful as there are some slick spots where water from the falls has frozen and pine needles on the ground are loose. The top gives you a good view of the mountains...albeit littered by views of the interstate. Happy hiking!

Saturday, October 07, 2017