East Inlet Trail to Spirit Lake

East Inlet Trail to Spirit Lake is a 14.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options. Horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Just a few blocks away from Main Street of Grand Lake the East Inlet Trailhead offers such a diversity of different areas along the trail that go high up into the alpine. With a short hike down the trail you will see Adams Falls so if your just looking to stretch the legs this is a good spot right on the edge of town. If your looking to go the full yard be prepared for gorgeous open valleys with streams running through, beautiful rock formations, lots of wild flowers and signs of wildlife, and five amazing lakes before you reach your way to the the boulder field to go up to the pass. I did this hike on 7/15/16 with a late start of around 1130am i managed to log 19.8 miles round trip returning to the car shortly after dark, this is still to date one of my personal favorites because there wasn’t much foot traffic after the first couple miles and you really do get the whole experience of what this area has to offer being as beautiful as it is. The trail is pretty mellow not a whole lot of steep uphill other then a few sections just a very long day of steady hiking if your looking to go the distance. Follow me on Instagram for more mountain photography @Alex.Newkirk

This hike to Spirit lake is the entrance to another world. Rugged mountains to the south of Lake Verna and Spirit as well as beautifully scenic views that cannot be captured by the English language. Love this trail as it is hard pretty and once there you never want to leave. I did this round trip 16 mile in a day and none worse for the ware.

Beautiful spot near Grand Lake to hike. We did 2.8 miles out and then back in just a couple of hours. We saw a moose with her two young ones, and the wildflowers were stunning. Lots of places to pull off and eat or chat and take in the views. Lots of people in July, but very worth the trip.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Beautiful hike with varied terrain. Like someone else mentioned, the trail from Lake Verna to Spirit Lake is unimproved. But it's a very short distance between the two lakes, so it's worth it. We hiked this today, October 3, and ended up seeing two seasons. Started the hike in the autumn, ended in the winter. With all high alpine environments, bring layers and be prepared. This took us about 9 hours, going more slowly on the way back due to an injury.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Outstanding 16 mile round trip hike to Spirit Lake. Varied terrain, beautiful alpine lakes and well-maintained trail.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Mid April 2016---
I honestly cannot give a complete and updated review because health issues forced me to leave only after a half-day in....

Here is what you need to know about this trail though:
I came at absolutely the worst time for snowshoeing.
1. The first 1-2 miles are compact ice from traffic and snow melt. Ice spikes/stabil-ICERs were advised to me and I would also pass on this advice to anyone else.
2. After that the actual snow was horrible! Even with appropriately sized snowshoes; you fill fall through the snow all the way to the ground. With snow coverage at sometimes 2-3 feet can mean that you will be sucking and dredging with every step. I attributed this due to the mid 50s daytime temperatures but because this trail is in a valley there will still be a lot of snow...But most of it warm snow that is mostly melted underneath.
3. Also during my trip the trail itself had 7 or more downed trees and I really only made it in about 2 or so miles before I left. Didn't even reach the first lake *sad face*. The downed trees cover the trail and with a heavy pack there is tons of bending under them to get through or precariously trying to climb over them.

This would have been a beautiful trail otherwise and despite Grand Lake itself being completely frozen over, the creek was flowing in most parts. Adams falls had plenty of snow but was not frozen over like I was hoping.

Friday, October 02, 2015

Thursday, October 01, 2015

One of the best hikes

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Saturday, June 27, 2015

I didn't get to hike it because I brought my dogs. This app indicated docs were allowed so beware. Bummer as it looks like a good one.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

After lake Verna the trail becomes unimproved and is hard to follow but the view is well worth the trip. There are 2 lakes beyond that, I still have not made it to. Long hike for one day. Took about 7 hours.