East Inlet Trail to Lone Pine Lake

East Inlet Trail to Lone Pine Lake is a 10.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Grand Lake: Follow the road that leads to the east side of the lake, past the West Portal, to the East Inlet Trailhead.

Well. First off it was an accident that my wife and I went to lone pine lake, but we are glad we did. Even tho we did end up going through snow and it was chilly closer to the lake, we had fun. We saw a moose. And some amazing sights.

A great hike with lots of changing scenery, lots of animals along the way.

We loved this hike for the waterfall stops along the way and the Moose sighting in the meadow not far from the trailhead!
The hike did take us all day but we still talk about it as a fave! Take mosquito repellant and you will be happier though.

nice hike

Definitely a tough hike, but great views along the way. Would recommend as a day hike for anyone wanting to test their limits!!

Chose this trail because I wanted so bad to see a moose or two. Disappointed in I didn’t see a moose but the views and the climb did not! After the first mile we became acclimated with the elevation and could breathe easy. Not for the faint of heart. It was tough but we enjoyed every step of it. Did it as a day hike and took right about 5 hours. Some great creeks along the way as well.

Worth the hike to this lake!

Saw 2 sets of moose with babies on the trail. Beautiful hike but definitely rated as moderate plus (++) in my opinion. after about 2 miles in, then the climb begins. Almost 1800’ in elevation from trail head. My knees and feet were pissed by the time I got back. Nice trail and maintained with some very beautiful scenery. Do not forget the sunscreen, water, sandwich or a Few snacks and bug spray.

Awesome hike, definitely worth the work. If you keep going there are three more lakes close together. Lots of moose and wildlife.

Challenging trail, beautiful views with some great wildlife. (I'd suggest bringing bear bells)

An awesome hike. A great mix of settings- meadows, a mountain side climb, a wooded walk through woods...we saw 2 baby moose! The most waterfalls I've ever seen on a hike. It is on the harder side of moderate in my opinion, as the way up to the lake is quite the elevation gain, but the way down is an enjoyable walk downhill.

This hike does not disappoint. We saw many waterfalls, wildflowers and 4 moose. I’d rate it on the more difficult end of moderate for the incline. My knees weren’t happy coming back down. Definitely doing this one again in the Fall!

What a fantastic hike. So many great views. My app logged this trail at 10.9 miles. It was definitely an ‘upper moderate’ but not as hard, as previously suggested, in my opinion. The last mile up to the lake is the toughest but nothing too crazy. The lake itself is beautiful and worth the trek. This is possibly the best hike I’ve done to date. My wife and I loved it.

Great weather today for a hike. Saw a moose at the start and enjoyed the great views on this trail.

Hard, fun, beautiful.

Highly recommend for anyone novice hiker who wants to test their limits.

Nice hike, with beautiful views! Harder than is rated. Many moose were seen, even crossed the trail right in front of us with her calf.

Easy to find right off the lake, mostly up hill on the way out and can you believe it downhill on the way back.

Did about 5 miles total, moderately trafficked, and snoeshoes were fun but not totally needed due to the packed trail on 12/28.

Slightly boring actually, but beautiful views along the way.

I was really enjoying the hike, but there are no trail markers! I had to turn around half way because the trail was lost in the snow. I have never seen a trail without trailmarkers. I was very disappointed.

Awesome trail with a very rewarding end and gorgeous views all along the way!

It was my first hike in Colorado and it set the tone. To be honest, we didn’t make it all the way to the lake due to time constraints and how tired I was. Most of the time, it was straight, paved paths with multiple beautiful views along the way but from time to time, on the way up, there were some steep inclines that drained me out when I got to the top.

I wouldn’t recommend it to novice hikers but if you want to test your limits and see how much you can do, this would be a pretty hike to test it on lol

The view is spectacular from the trailhead to the lake, the higher trail the more difficult though. I'd rate it from moderate to hard as one is approaching Lone Pine Lake. The higher we went the less people we encountered. We made it all the way to edge of Lake Verna before rain poured down. Encountered a family of moose when we were coming down and no one was around. Finished the round trip by dusk. Awesome for those who love to adventure up in the mountains.

Just hiked this trail on Sunday. It was harder tan I thought but worth it

My wife and I hiked this on a gorgeous autumn day with the aspen's at their peak gold.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

an incredible but strenuous hike ! make sure to bring lots of snacks. a sandwich and some water. you can fill up your water in the river for it is sparkling and clean! (( tried and tested, im still alive and feeling good)) absolutely amazing hike with multiple different patterns of weather that made the hike that much better !!! never heard thunder like i did on this trail, truly remarkable!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Hiked to the lake this morning (8.5.17). It took me a little over 3 hours. I got to the trailhead at 5:30 am and there's only one other car there. The hike up was very peaceful. The last 2 miles were definitely harder than I thought they would be. My legs were killing me! On the way back down, definitely saw lots more people and the tranquility from the early morning was shattered! Saw lots of elk, no moose. My only complaint was the excessive amount of horse poop on the trail, some of it pretty fresh. Watch your step! Overall a great hike and I'd love to do it again.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Only hiked 3 miles due to unpreparedness and an afternoon thunderstorm. The trail is great. Very well maintained by the NPS. Elevation changes are mild. The views are great!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Hiked two thirds of this trail, till past the second meadow. We started early at 7:15am which meant we saw no one else for 2 hours. Very beautiful in the early morning. Saw a moose cow with 2 calves at the first meadow. Excellent trail. There was a group of fallen trees across the path which were easy to bypass. There were only very few mosquitoes.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great moderate trail with a variety of sights... mountain views, rivers, waterfalls and of course Lone Pine Lake! Beginning allows some opportunity for moose sightings (we saw one). Rest is mainly uphill to lake. My GPS clocked closer to 15mi+ out and back. In comparisons to others with tracking devices at the lake, many were comparable and not close to the 5.5mi one way that the signs mention. Be prepared! It's longer than one may think. Worth it though. Bug spray may be beneficial, we got bit up a bit.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Trail is in great shape. Challenging hike, mainly due to the distance. Took us 2:20 minutes to get to lake and nearly as long to get back! Lake is stunning and peaceful.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

great views, beautiful path and the lake is beautiful and worth the hike. it starts easy but becomes steeper the more you proceed. I underestimated the length. I feel we weren't the only ones because on our way back all people asked "how long until the lake??". only a bunch of other people on the trail - would definitely not classify as 'very busy' at all.