East Inlet Trail to Lone Pine Lake

East Inlet Trail to Lone Pine Lake is a 10.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,794 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Directions from Grand Lake: Follow the road that leads to the east side of the lake, past the West Portal, to the East Inlet Trailhead.

Extremely beautiful! The last mile and a half up to the lake was a bit challenging for a fl (flat-land) native, but the beauty of the trail overwhelmed us. We had originally intended to go on to lake verna but took a xtra long beautiful lunch and a slow walk back. We tried to be on the trail by eight, probably better to start earlier thunderstorms seem to roll in towards the top of the trail mid afternoon.

Just understand, this is a long hike up and back. I gave up at near 4 miles in, adult daught and husband had 12 MI by the time they were back. 11am to 5:30pm. very beautiful scenery, streams, meadows, falls, rock formations. No animals but mostly mid day.

Definately a harder hike than everything I read on it. I probably had 35 lbs in my pack so that didnt help. The views were amazing. Took our group 5 hours to get to Lone Pine. But we stopped alot for breaks, pictures, and to filter water. Made it back in 2 1/2 hours. There is ALOT of steps and uphill hiking on the way

Awesome hike with great views throughout. Moose, waterfalls and lake were all beautiful. 11.4 miles to the lake and back, took just over 4 hours and 15 minutes. Also, people please stop using your fitbits to tell how far hikes are, GPS is spot on.

Beautiful trail. But wear sturdy shoes as it is rocky and strenuous. It’s on the harder side of moderate but worth the effort!

Stayed overnight at the Slick Rock backcountry site. As with all of RMNP, this trail and site were well maintained. The afternoon and evening of 9/8 were quite stormy, hence, the trails were muddy on the way down. Got to the National Park Service workers and their llama on their way to the Cat's Lair site for maintenance. That was something I'd never seen.

Fantastic hike. Great views from start to finish. Just enough challenge to make you feel like you worked for it, but nothing too difficult. Bring plenty of water. The sun was warm coming back in the afternoon.

9/1/19 got started close to 10:00 am, lots of folks on the trail up to Adams Falls then the crowds thin out. First bit past Adams Falls is flat to rolling then you start climbing. The trail is really well maintained and there are lots of steps to make climbing easier, but make no mistake, you will be climbing. There are many pretty vistas and some shade along the trail. The lake is beautiful, we ate lunch and relaxed there before heading back. On the way back we saw a moose in the meadow towards the end of the trail. Round trip, including a nice rest at the lake, took about 5 hours, and like other reviews, my Fitbit said closer to 12 miles. It was a very good hike and when were done we treated ourselves to gelato at the Lulu City shop in downtown Grand Lake. It was a perfect day!

beautiful hike. Saw deer, moose, and lots of birds, squirrels, and chipmunks.

Beautiful and challenging hike. We kept a good pace, but took time to sit and enjoyed the scenery. Beautiful waterfalls, mountain and meadow scenes. Also a few moose, deer and chipmunks.

Hiked up to Lone Pine Lake today. Busy trail but a huge lot. Their were tons of spots for us. Late start. We hit the trail at 10 am on the dot. Once we got in, probably around 1.5 miles the crowds let up. And the further along the fewer the people. The hike is hilly and rocky. Decent amount of sun, but also some nice cool shady parts. There are some amazing views on the way to Lone Pine Lake. Saw a baby moose and mommy. Saw a couple deer. Saw some fish. Saw a few chipmunks. Ate lunch lake side. Only people at the lake were the horse riders that passed us a couple times. They left a few minutes after one of the ladies took a picture mooning the camera. This was a challenging hike and it took us a long time. We did stop a ton and take pictures. We were in no rush. 6 1/2 hours. My Fitbit says 12.3 miles. Bring plenty of water and sun screen. I got a weird burn today. Missed some spots. Unacceptable. Anyway, I would recommend this trail. Some amazing views. Just take your time. I killed it, so can you. LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!!

Such a great hike. Highly recommend. The beginning part near the popular Adam’s Falls is busy but the people quickly thin out after the first mile and a half. I used Strava to record the hike and it said that I hiked 12.6 miles instead of the 10 or so that AllTrails claims. Still very doable hike. Took me just under 5 hours and I stopped to take a lot of pictures and have a snack at the lake.

Hiked on 7/30. Trail is in great condition...big thanks to the crew working on it

I recommend a little swim at the lake, rejuvenating.

I really enjoyed this trail. It starts off fairly flat then steadily inclines. There is several spots with stairs. Beautiful views and the dip in the lake was refreshing!!!

Great hike! We didn’t get to lone pine lake until 1:30pm and had it all to ourselves for hours. I think the thunderstorms must have scared some people off. Well worth the hike to see the lake!

Loved this trail. Started this hike on a Monday at 9am after hiking to Sky Pond the day before. Parking lot was only half full. It took us 5 hrs to get to Lone Pike lake and back to the parking lot. The first half of the trail is flat, and the uphill is very doable.

The hike itself is pretty nice, there were a few stream crossings which were fun and bridges that crossed by waterfalls on the way up. The incline isn’t bad, although it is constant. we counted around 700 steps to climb one way, and it took us about two hours to get to the lake. It’s a good hike, 5.5 miles to the top, but I wouldn’t do it again. The lake itself is ok, it’s just nothing special

Great hike past the Adams Falls. Relatively easy as far as rocks and incline. It is very sunny and hot as deceives by others. Views of the valley and mountains are beautiful. We turned around at the East campground along the river. Would be a great spot for a short day hike and camping.

Gorgeous views! We didn’t make it all the way but the beauty is you can turn around when you want. We saw the first 2.5 in and it was spectacular. Be sure to check out Adams Falls too.

Fellow flat lander here. This is a beautiful hike with great views. The first three or so miles are pretty easy but the last three to the lake are pretty difficult. Lots of rocky switchbacks and large steps. We hiked with a group of 6 adults and 2 kids aged 9 and 10. The kids were pretty tired after about 4 miles, but they toughed it out and were able to make the whole hike(both kids are very active). It took us about 4 hours to get to the lake, but we stopped several times for breaks and to do some fishing. There is a beautiful stream about a half mile passed Adams falls that you follow for a good ways before you get to the switchbacks with lots of spots to cast a line. I would make sure to bring plenty of water as I ran out with about 3 miles left on the hike back. I had 2.5 liters of water. I would say you should at least take 4-5 liters of water per person. I would also make sure you have plenty of high energy snacks and to wear proper hiking shoes. We had sandwiches once we made it to the lake and that helped fuel the hike back which only took about 3 hours as we were all booking it to get back since we were low on water and everyone was pretty tired. I will say that I was exhausted afterward, but I feel if I had not run out of water it wouldn’t have been as bad. I am not in the best shape, but have done similar hikes in the past but not recently. So even if you’re not in the best shape, if you are willing to push yourself a little bit you can certainly do this hike. Overall it took us about 7 hours to get in and back. My Apple Watch said we walked 11.87 miles. I would highly recommend as this was one of the most beautiful hikes that I’ve been on, just come prepared take breaks and take plenty of water and you’ll enjoy this hike!

AWESOME trail. The first 2-3 miles are quite easy but then moderate difficulty for the rest as you climb up. So many views! Some areas are “exposed” and rocky while others are in the shade of the trees. Water falls and rushing rapids everywhere. The lake view at the end is totally worth it. 10/10 recommend.

brace yourself, this is not moderate if you are a flat-lander. be ready for hundreds of knee high hi steps. don't bring your weak thighs out here, the trail will smell your weakness and make you pay. it is ~ 1700 elevation gain, but lots of that is exposed to the sun, so start the hike early in the day. beautiful lake at the end, moose aplenty along the trail. beautiful trail, would do again once I turn my Gumby thighs into high steppers of doom.

This trail is 6 miles one way, easy to moderate for 3 miles, moderate to hard for 3 miles. Nice hike along valley/marsh and great views above and below to Grand Lake, all at and before the switchback below Cat's Lair. Beyond that it's forest, some views above, roaring cascades, and a hard slog to Lone Pine. Next time I'll stop at 3 miles and enjoy the views.

Just finished this one. Beautiful trail that has always been one of my favorites. Lots of waterfalls, meadows, great views, easy cliffside walking. You get to the base of Baldy and it's beautiful up there.

My parents, uncle and I hiked this trail a couple days ago, it was beyond amazing. The waterfalls were amazing. A week ago they got 2 feet of snow so the water was amazing and scenery was beautiful. We even came across snow. It was crazy to have a snowball fight at the end of June. I highly recommend this hike.

We had so much fun hiking this today! We saw several moose and a deer. The trail was pretty muddy/wet and even some snow the last 2 miles to the lake. Well worth it though!

Great hike. So much variety, from waterfalls and rivers, to great views back toward Grand Lake. There are some spots where the trail is pretty exposed, so bring plenty of water. Also, lots of skeeters, so bring the Avon Skin So Soft or your favorite spray. One note: This trail is longer than 10.6 miles round trip. The trail sign says 5.5 miles one way; Runkeeper logged about 11.3 miles; and this app (All Trails) logged 12. So I’d count it as being 11-12 miles round trip. Also showed an elevation gain of just over 1900 feet.