East Inlet Trail to Lone Pine Lake

East Inlet Trail to Lone Pine Lake is a 10.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Directions from Grand Lake: Follow the road that leads to the east side of the lake, past the West Portal, to the East Inlet Trailhead.

I was really enjoying the hike, but there are no trail markers! I had to turn around half way because the trail was lost in the snow. I have never seen a trail without trailmarkers. I was very disappointed.

Awesome trail with a very rewarding end and gorgeous views all along the way!

It was my first hike in Colorado and it set the tone. To be honest, we didn’t make it all the way to the lake due to time constraints and how tired I was. Most of the time, it was straight, paved paths with multiple beautiful views along the way but from time to time, on the way up, there were some steep inclines that drained me out when I got to the top.

I wouldn’t recommend it to novice hikers but if you want to test your limits and see how much you can do, this would be a pretty hike to test it on lol

The view is spectacular from the trailhead to the lake, the higher trail the more difficult though. I'd rate it from moderate to hard as one is approaching Lone Pine Lake. The higher we went the less people we encountered. We made it all the way to edge of Lake Verna before rain poured down. Encountered a family of moose when we were coming down and no one was around. Finished the round trip by dusk. Awesome for those who love to adventure up in the mountains.

Just hiked this trail on Sunday. It was harder tan I thought but worth it

My wife and I hiked this on a gorgeous autumn day with the aspen's at their peak gold.

an incredible but strenuous hike ! make sure to bring lots of snacks. a sandwich and some water. you can fill up your water in the river for it is sparkling and clean! (( tried and tested, im still alive and feeling good)) absolutely amazing hike with multiple different patterns of weather that made the hike that much better !!! never heard thunder like i did on this trail, truly remarkable!

Hiked to the lake this morning (8.5.17). It took me a little over 3 hours. I got to the trailhead at 5:30 am and there's only one other car there. The hike up was very peaceful. The last 2 miles were definitely harder than I thought they would be. My legs were killing me! On the way back down, definitely saw lots more people and the tranquility from the early morning was shattered! Saw lots of elk, no moose. My only complaint was the excessive amount of horse poop on the trail, some of it pretty fresh. Watch your step! Overall a great hike and I'd love to do it again.

Only hiked 3 miles due to unpreparedness and an afternoon thunderstorm. The trail is great. Very well maintained by the NPS. Elevation changes are mild. The views are great!

Hiked two thirds of this trail, till past the second meadow. We started early at 7:15am which meant we saw no one else for 2 hours. Very beautiful in the early morning. Saw a moose cow with 2 calves at the first meadow. Excellent trail. There was a group of fallen trees across the path which were easy to bypass. There were only very few mosquitoes.

Great moderate trail with a variety of sights... mountain views, rivers, waterfalls and of course Lone Pine Lake! Beginning allows some opportunity for moose sightings (we saw one). Rest is mainly uphill to lake. My GPS clocked closer to 15mi+ out and back. In comparisons to others with tracking devices at the lake, many were comparable and not close to the 5.5mi one way that the signs mention. Be prepared! It's longer than one may think. Worth it though. Bug spray may be beneficial, we got bit up a bit.

Trail is in great shape. Challenging hike, mainly due to the distance. Took us 2:20 minutes to get to lake and nearly as long to get back! Lake is stunning and peaceful.

great views, beautiful path and the lake is beautiful and worth the hike. it starts easy but becomes steeper the more you proceed. I underestimated the length. I feel we weren't the only ones because on our way back all people asked "how long until the lake??". only a bunch of other people on the trail - would definitely not classify as 'very busy' at all.

Awesome hike ... great spot at the end of this hike at Lone Pine Lake for a lunch !

Such a diverse terrain to hike. Was absolutely gorgeous! Even saw a fox hunting and catch his breakfast as well as a mule deer grazing.

Very scenic ... note to self bring snacks and lots of water

Amazing scenery.

Great trail vey scenic, pretty muddy and lots of snow last mile. Saw 3 moose hanging by the side of the trail. Several trees are down so you'll have to get around them.

I hiked this trail with my 7 year old. It was still early in the season and cold at night. We camped at East Meadow and hiked towards Cat's Lair but turned back because thunderstorms. Lots of downed trees. The trails were dry except rain but the meadow was flooding. There were reports that the trail was snowed in near Lone Pine Lake, something near 5' supposedly. There are some fantastic vantage points and decent Backcountry sites. Bear cans and permits are required for overnights. I'd love to go back and explore further. We saw moose and deer but no other big animals. Pets are prohibited. Mosquito repellent is a must.

What a great trail. Had to turn back early due to weather. This trail has great views all along the route.