East Inlet Trail to Lake Verna

East Inlet Trail to Lake Verna is a 12.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Horses are also able to use this trail.

As others have mentioned, this is a beautiful trail. We started at 10am and thought that to be a late start, parking lot was about half full, and we were between several groups. On our return at 1pm (we only went 3 mi in/out), there was a gaggle of humans parading onto the trail. Lots of fly fishers trying their luck on the adjacent river, which really was kind of pathetic - as the trout were no bigger than 6" and should've been left undisturbed.

Pro-tip: start *early*, i.e. 8am anytime between June and Labor Day.

Absolutely amazing trail. We backpacked in to Slickrock campground. This was approximately 6.5 miles in. It took us 30 minutes to hike to Lake Verna the next morning. We swam in the river along the trail, in Lone Pine lake, and in Lake Verna. Do yourself a favor and jump right on in to the glacier water. It is well worth your time :). We even saw a moose!

Hit East Inlet at 8:30 on a Sunday morning (7/8). There were only a few cars in the lot and there appears to be plenty of parking. In the first 30-40 minutes I spotted two moose in the meadow area. A few families walking through that area, but at about 2.5 miles in, there were only a few others. A lot of rocky incline enroute to Lone Pine, nothing too bad, well marked. I ate lunch at Lone Pine, for the first 10-15 minutes I was the only person there. Two other groups trickled in. I continued on to Verna, which was steep and rocky but again nothing too difficult - the wildflowers were amazing up there. So much color. On the way back down I passed a moose that was very close to the trail, he didn't seem too happy I was there but I passed without incident. After reading another comment, since I was hiking alone I did wear a bear bell and brought spray just in case. A lot of birds, small animals and moose. Long trail, but doable for a day hike. I would love to have had time to get to Spirit and camp out.

Beautiful moderate hike. Certainly a long one. Bring lots of water and snacks. Traverse through marshy meadows, forest, by rivers, past pristine lakes. Absolutely lovely!!

Trip dates:: 6/15-17. You want to enjoy lakes in close proximity to each other? Do this hike. We enjoyed a two night three days backpacking trip here. Stayed at the Solitaire campground. From here all the lakes from Verna lake n on is accessible all the way to Fifth Lake which is the very last lake on the map. Its marshy and about a foot deep in but if u don’t mInd then by all means head up towards the Fifth Lake- it’s gorgeous!! Lots of downed trees and the trail is not maintained after Verna Lake and you will see a sign that will indicate that. Lots of water and gushing falls. Bonus: a few actual man made steps makes the uphill hike a beautiful photo op. Lots of vista points as well. Very busy trail head but thins out and it’s just you and the wild as you go higher. A bear crossed our path on the way out. Never happened to us in our 12+ years of backpacking. Reminder that this is CO and is there’s very much “wild” left in the wilderness.

I really enjoyed this hike and Lake Verna did not disappoint, but it was long! This was the longest day hike I have attempted (I hike very slowly...it took me 5 hours to get there...) and while I would have enjoyed seeing Spirit Lake, I didn't have it in me. Next time I should backpack and stay at one of the backcountry sites and split it up. What I liked about this hike was the variety of terrain: meadow, cliffs, aspens, pine forests and so many waterfalls! Lone Pine Lake was not that exciting, but Lake Verna was beautiful.

After 51/2 hours of hiking from the trailhead (we did stop for pics a video several times) my wife and I made it to the edge of the lake, extremely peaceful and no "humans" nearby at all, just nature! Never thought lakes existed that high. I'm glad my wife and I pushed each other to make it there once we passed Lone Pine Lake. Treacherous trails around the edge of the rocks, but then the trail got better to the lake, very challenging but rewarding! Unfortunately a cold rain poured on us and had to head back to the trailhead head. Saw two cow moose and their calfs on our way back as the sun was setting. Total of 9 1/2 hours round trip. The last half hour of our hiking we finished it in the dark. Loved the entire adventure. Take lots of water and snacks and the proper attire and shoes if planning a round trip.

It is so beautiful trail, we spend 3 days on it.

Friday, August 11, 2017

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Trail is snow free. The hike was gorgeous and we only saw a few other hikers on the trail.

Monday, June 19, 2017

great out and back backpacking trip. Views aplenty from both the valley floor and up the canyon. Saw elk, moose, tons of birds. easy to drop your pack at any of the great sites and continue up to higher lakes - lone pine, Verna, spirit,... Couldn't make it much past Verna, where the trail ends, due to persistent Mid-June snow cover, would've loved to. Also good to get away from the tourist hordes, at least once you're beyond Adams Falls. enjoy!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Amazing hike. Spent two late September nights camping at Lake Verna. After setting up a base camp at Lake Verna, we hiked to three additional lakes (Spirit Lake, Forth Lake and Fifth Lake) fishing, and catching fish, at each location. We encountered a huge bull moose at dusk near Spirit Lake while hiking back to our base camp at Lake Verna. Tremendous views and lots of wildlife.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

In/out...hiked it in October, leaves were amazing and very few people out on the trail

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Great hike! I went all the way to Lake Verna and back in one shot and my knee hated me for it. Hiking in the beginning of summer makes for a raging East Inlet. On the return hike I saw a moose and 4 mule deer not far from the trail. My only complaint is that I didn't camp somewhere out there, there are plenty of great spots to do so.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

This trail is definitely worth your time. We spent two nights in the trail, one at Lower East Inlet and one at Slickrock, which were both outstanding sites. The view from Slickrock was amazing. I would definitely do this trip again!

Saturday, June 27, 2015

I didn't get to hike it because I brought my dogs. This app indicated docs were allowed so beware. Bummer as it looks like a good one.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Did this in 2012 and it was outstanding. Caught a lot of fish at Lake Verna. Camped up there as well. On the way down a Moose and her little one held us up on the trail.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

tough hike, great views, you're almost sure to see some wildlife if you leave early. Use hiking sticks; they make it easier on your joints and muscles as the trail is quite rocky and steep at places. Worst case they are also the last line of defense against bears :) I didn't see any, but some droppings along the trail. Saw deer and foxes though.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Just did this hike in mid July. It's pretty tough for an out and back hike. Nice scenery along the way. Saw three bull moose in the meadow and a female moose with a baby just before Lake Verna.

Thursday, July 27, 2017