East Canyon Preservation Trail

East Canyon Preservation Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Franktown, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

historic site

My husband and our friend and I did a backpack training session here yesterday. The cairns were VERY helpful...just needed them throughout the entire trail. We got a little off-trail 2-3 times because of this. But it was a good training trail...plenty of ups and downs but nothing crazy. The mosquitoes were out in full force around the stagnant water areas so bring your bug spray! We really enjoyed the hike and recommend it to anyone not wanting to do a hard elevation hike but still wants a decent workout. :)

Pretty scenic, moderate skill due to rock crossings and a few tricky elevations for very young children, but nothing so difficult to prevent them from having a great time. The views are amazing, as is the wild life, water, and terrain.

I've been using Alltrails for years to find good trails, but tonight marks my first review! My husband and I hiked East Canyon Preservation Trail last Friday and came across two snakes back to back. Thus, fear has motivated me to leave a review :) Once you cross over Cherry Creek, you'll notice snake holes all over the place, so be careful!! I got a pic of the second snake we saw, but not the first. It slithered under a rock.

Despite the snakes, I give this trail a 4, because we loved it. We saw rabbits, pikas, snakes, lizzards and a random crawdad. In other parts of the park, we saw hummingbirds and wild turkey. Overall this place is awesome.

This trail isn't too strenuous, but it covers a lot of different terrain. A lot of little critters skitter around on the rocks and in the grasses. Vultures circle overhead. Only saw two other hikers and a ranger on the whole path. It was a great hike. Trail head was near the park visitor center.

Amazing - a bit of everything, flat, rocky, wet .... trees, creeks and meadows

Do this hike often, always take family and friends here when they come to visit. great hike with the pups too.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Love this hike. This park is one of the best kept secrets in Colorado. Come for the hikes, stay for the sunset!

Monday, October 10, 2016

While everyone and their dogs are slogging through the canyon this trail is nearly empty. It's perfect if you're looking for solitude.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

This is probably the nicest trail in the park. It has a little bit of everything: walking near the canyon, under the state highway bridge, along the creek, up to the grasslands. Very nice. Moderate hike, four miles, took us just under two hours.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

very exciting trail.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Beautiful morning hike. A little buggy down at the bottom. Definitely would recommend. Spectacular views!

Monday, June 06, 2016

Very easy four-mile hike. The flowers were in early bloom. Since this side does not allow pets, it is less traveled. There is a staircase to go under the highway which may be difficult for a person with mobility problems. Very pretty and nice tucked away cannon yet still close to the city.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Beautiful hike, especially after the snow thaws and the water is high. Surprised to read people took dogs considering they're prohibited on this side of the park. On that note, word of warning, there were park rangers discreetly camped out on the trail when we went through, I wouldn't risk it.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Took my 5-year old and dog. Great trails and friendly hikers.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

This trail isn't open year round and doesn't allow animals. Was very disappointed...

Sunday, February 14, 2016

So beautiful and awesome! We went off the trail and hiked up stream.. Found some really awesome caves! Then we got to the old damn which is really sweet! Great views!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

This trial was pretty awesome. Went during the end of December & the frozen creek was beautiful. Sat on the bridge towards the damn & read my book in the sunshine. Had a good solo hike, not hard at all very easy & simple hike. I thought anyway. Great hike not far drive.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I absolutely loved this trail, starting on the canyon rim and descending to the creek. After the rains it was a wonderland of flowers, plants and wildlife. My kind of country.