East Canyon Preservation Trail

East Canyon Preservation Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Franktown, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

historic site

My husband and our friend and I did a backpack training session here yesterday. The cairns were VERY helpful...just needed them throughout the entire trail. We got a little off-trail 2-3 times because of this. But it was a good training trail...plenty of ups and downs but nothing crazy. The mosquitoes were out in full force around the stagnant water areas so bring your bug spray! We really enjoyed the hike and recommend it to anyone not wanting to do a hard elevation hike but still wants a decent workout. :)

Pretty scenic, moderate skill due to rock crossings and a few tricky elevations for very young children, but nothing so difficult to prevent them from having a great time. The views are amazing, as is the wild life, water, and terrain.

I've been using Alltrails for years to find good trails, but tonight marks my first review! My husband and I hiked East Canyon Preservation Trail last Friday and came across two snakes back to back. Thus, fear has motivated me to leave a review :) Once you cross over Cherry Creek, you'll notice snake holes all over the place, so be careful!! I got a pic of the second snake we saw, but not the first. It slithered under a rock.

Despite the snakes, I give this trail a 4, because we loved it. We saw rabbits, pikas, snakes, lizzards and a random crawdad. In other parts of the park, we saw hummingbirds and wild turkey. Overall this place is awesome.

This trail isn't too strenuous, but it covers a lot of different terrain. A lot of little critters skitter around on the rocks and in the grasses. Vultures circle overhead. Only saw two other hikers and a ranger on the whole path. It was a great hike. Trail head was near the park visitor center.

Amazing - a bit of everything, flat, rocky, wet .... trees, creeks and meadows

Do this hike often, always take family and friends here when they come to visit. great hike with the pups too.