Eagles Peak Trail

Eagles Peak Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near United States Air Force Academy, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A popular hike up the dominant peak in the vicinity of the cadet area. It is shown on the maps as North Peak, but most call it Eagle Peak.

great hike today.

Awesome views of Pikes Peak, Stanley Canyon and Colorado Springs. You do have to work for it though. it's all up hill and gets steeper as you go. In comparison, we did the Stanley Canyon hike that's almost twice as long in less time.

Brutally amazing trail. So many places that one of us could have gotten really messed up. Wife’s foot got caught between rocks up at the top as we just started our decent and she fell down forward a few feet. Completely dislocated a finger that got bent completely in the opposite direction. Snap crackle pop and back in business. Could have been so much worse. Also would hate to be caught in a storm up there. But the views are phenomenal. The challenge is super exhilarating and more than worth it. Get into shape, don’t take the little ones, be smart and careful because freak things can happen up there in an instant. Everything checked out fine in the X-rays, and we still made our flight home.
Update: Radiologist called...finger's actually broken...but we still had a blast.

This trail is unlike any I have hiked before, especially at the top where you truly just climb up rocks with no semblance of a trail. My friend and I are relatively experienced hikers but still did a lot of slipping and sliding on the way down. My golden retriever managed well, but we did guide him around some spots that would have been very large leaps for him. I'm rating this trail a 5 because I'm proud of myself for doing it and LOVED the views at the top, but my aching knees (from all the climbing over rocks) are telling me that I won't be doing this one again soon!

Killer hike!

tough hike. great views at top. not many views on way up. nice aspen meadow. great exercise. only do this hike if you are in pretty good shape

Nice little hike on my lunch break. I would recommend it. Love the blue seat at the top.

First off, I'm a flat-lander from Iowa. and I'm a solid hiker with a lot of miles behind me, and this trail is tough. My son and I tackled it today and it is tough. The view is spectacular! but the hike is tough. but well worth the effort.

Definitely rated correctly as HARD. Don’t bring your little kids up here... for them it’s gonna be a day of scrapes, bandages, and tears — and that’s if it’s a good day. Trail tip: about half way up, when it’s getting gnarly and steep and slippery, every fork in the road where you have a question Do I go right or left?... stay LEFT. You’re welcome for that tip. When the going gets brutal, you want to be following the stream.
Total round trip time for us was 4 hours.
And: bring your trekking poles, your boots with the most rugged tread on them, and biking gloves for the scramble downhill.

An extreme blast. I had so much fun. I’m 49 and went with my 17 y/o daughter. She kicked my butt!!! It was definitely hard and challenging for me but very beautiful and enjoyable. Lots of boulders. But I won’t say anymore about the trail so I don’t spoil the excitement for others. The view at the top was breathtaking. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did. Blessed.

Amazing trail! I really enjoyed it. It definitely is a challenge and very steep but it’s not miserable coming down! I highly recommend!

Very awesome trail, but, as others have said, also extremely challenging. This is not a trail for beginners!! It took me, an acclimated & active 21 year old, two hours of pretty intense climbing to get to the top. The view is absolutely worth it! There were parts where I had to slide down on my butt when descending. It gets very slick in some spots, so I highly suggest hiking poles! There were also parts where I had to carry my dog up/down due to the steepness. As always, watch for bears & mountain lions! A fellow hiker told us he was about 20 yards away from a massive black bear on the trail the same time we were there. It’s really easy to get off trail, too. Keep left & look for blue/brown marks for reassurance. There aren’t many marks, but there were enough for us to know we were still on the trail.

This is an amazing hike!! Views from the top are beautiful. If you bring your dogs please be aware it is difficult for them, as far as steep and rocky!

Will get your heart pumping. Great views from the top

Very nice hike with good variety. Good mix of soft pine-needle trails, granite boulders, and gravel near the top. I suggest driving past the "Authorized vehicles only" sign and park at the parking lot a couple hundred yards above that. Make sure you don't make the mistake I did the first time I attempted this and head to the left of the fork toward the VERY STEEP trail going elsewhere. If you don't see a large MAP on a sign board near the beginning of the hike you're on the wrong trail. The GPS map on this app is right on, so just check your progress along the way. Nice stream along most of the trail. The Aspen grove near the top is great. The last 15% of the hike is challenging, and slippery on the way down on account of the loose gravel. Fine for kids (i took two 9 year olds and a 16 year old). Took us 2 hours up and 1.5 hours down. Top was 9,362 according to my altimeter.

This is a very difficult trail. It’s was more challenging coming down than going up. On our way down, it began to rain and I slipped and fractured my arm and dislocated my wrist. Hiking poles would be helpful.

Challenging hike. Out of shape should delay till ready

A huge variety of terrain. Boulders were fun, but the gravel parts were very slippery (worse on the way down). Took my group of 12yo, 46yo and 46 yo two hours to get to top. Great views.

I agree that the blue markers are missing. They need to be marked again.

Great Hike with amazing views. Went up yesterday morning and someone was covering all the trail markers with brown paint on my way down... Be careful as I think she covered most of them and they are not readily visible any longer...

I go to school here, always an amazing hike! The views are amazing and there are many spots to stop along the way that are amazing for pictures. On the west side of the trail before you reach the top, if you keep walking through the birch forest, you can get a view of the other mountains as well.

Parked at the visitor center, but it looks like there is some parking even closer to the trailhead. There are blue markings that help you stay on the trail. It was an intense hike and took me about 4.5 hours. The view from the top is AMAZING. Down is a little dangerous, good hiking boots are a must for this trail!

This was a very hard trail but the views were awesome at the summit! We are 55 & experienced hikers, but this was the most challenging trail we’ve hiked. We found the blue markers to be easy to follow. All the reviews are accurate about having to scramble up rocks along the way & lots of loose gravel. (Makes the decent difficult!). The meadow was a welcome relief but it got much more difficult from there, the last 100-200 yards was flat out climbing granite rocks! We passed 20-30 people along the way so it is moderately traveled. Bottom line it was hard but worth it! Took us 4 hrs round trip, we parked at the Visitor Center.

A challenging trail but with spectacular views of the prairie, Pikes Peak, and even Rampart Reservoir from the summit. Recent trail work has added Air Force Blue flashes to keep you on trail - which is very helpful in the scree and boulder field just below the summit.

A challenging hike. I felt ecstatic upon reaching the summit. Great sense of accomplishment. However there are a couple detail you need to know before attempting this hike. First, there is no parking at the trail head. You should park at the Visitor's Center. From Academy Dr there is a road not far from the Visitor's Center that takes you to the trail head. You will see a trail to the left as you go up the road. You won't notice the trail head sign until you walk into it a short distance. After about a half mile the trail becomes confusing. There are some false trails that will just wear you out and lead to nowhere. The thing to do is follow along the stream which is on the left. You will eventually see the trail which will take you across the stream over some rocks. As you get closer to the summit there is another false trail that peters out after about a quarter mile of less. Instead of taking that trail go to the left up another trail that is steeper and goes toward the summit. The only real views are on the summit.

Hiked this today and the view was fantastic. Still slippery in spots and the elevation gain was pretty good for it being a small hike.

I like the elevation gain for it being a short hike. However it was easy to get off course even with having downloaded the map. I got off course and slipped multiple times and my dog took a good tumble. Ultimately the view wasn’t worth the potential danger of slipping. Much better hikes to take for a prettier view.

Did the hike a week ago. It was a hard trail but a very rewarding hike! Beautiful view of Pikes Peak. We didn't bring shoe spikes and wish we did as we got closer to the top, certain spots were slippery. Will definitely go again!

Great hike, views of the academy to the east and awesome mountain views to the west. Worth the trip!

Difficult trail and hard to find path but made it thanks to AllTrails. As one who is relatively fit but unaccustomed to the altitude, this trail was hard - I needed to stop and catch my breath multiple times. Reaching the top gave me an immense sense of accomplishment.