Eagles Peak Trail

Eagles Peak Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near United States Air Force Academy, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A popular hike up the dominant peak in the vicinity of the cadet area. It is shown on the maps as North Peak, but most call it Eagle Peak.

Hiked this today and the view was fantastic. Still slippery in spots and the elevation gain was pretty good for it being a small hike.

I like the elevation gain for it being a short hike. However it was easy to get off course even with having downloaded the map. I got off course and slipped multiple times and my dog took a good tumble. Ultimately the view wasn’t worth the potential danger of slipping. Much better hikes to take for a prettier view.

Did the hike a week ago. It was a hard trail but a very rewarding hike! Beautiful view of Pikes Peak. We didn't bring shoe spikes and wish we did as we got closer to the top, certain spots were slippery. Will definitely go again!

Great hike, views of the academy to the east and awesome mountain views to the west. Worth the trip!

Difficult trail and hard to find path but made it thanks to AllTrails. As one who is relatively fit but unaccustomed to the altitude, this trail was hard - I needed to stop and catch my breath multiple times. Reaching the top gave me an immense sense of accomplishment.

rewarding ❤❤

Great trail but easy to take a wrong turn at one point.

Great hike! Took our dog and he did great as well. We did stray from the trail twice but like another person said - always go left (we went right). One of the points was when you cross the stream. There was a big flat rock and 2 logs to walk across.
We parked at the visitor center and walked across the street to the dirt road. Went up that and found the trail pretty easily.

This trail starts on the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) and then moves into Pike National Forest after a half mile walk up a dirt road. This trail is steep throughout the whole hike and moves through Spruce, Fir, and Aspen forests until you get close to the top where you are met with bare rock. Once at the top you are given great views of the USAFA and Colorado Springs. Trail 360 on YouTube

Good hike. Definitely wouldn’t recommend for small kids. A lot of elevation gain, some scrambling over rocks is needed. Stay LEFT on the way up. You’ll see some spots where you think the trail goes right but stay left. The views at the top are amazing. Once you hit the aspen meadows look for the blue dots on the left. The last bit of the trail is practically straight uphill.

this is a steep climb but soooo worth the view at the end!!

First off, make sure you have decent hiking boots for this trail or else you will hate it or get hurt. Although it's short in mileage, it is one of the steepest hikes I've done, which makes for a long journey. When you get to the meadow, you'll be exhausted but are about to face the hardest part of the trail. View at the top was great but it's a serious effort to get there, even for an experienced 24 year old hiker.

Hard as hell.

This was a very beautiful and challenging trail. like others have said, the mileage isn't high but it is very steep. We took a couple of our friends from out of town here and they struggled quite a bit so I don't recommend this for beginners.

Tip: Follow the creek. There's a few points on the trail where it's difficult to discern where to go. Just follow the trail that parallels the creek.

This trail is a serious workout! For reference, I am an experienced hiker, and a native used to the elevation. I'm short-legged and pretty slow, and probably not the most dazzlingly well-conditioned... But I'm used to both long and challenging trails. Eagles Peak is one of the toughest climbs I've done that wasn't a 14'er.

To begin, the trail is accessible from inside the Air Force Academy grounds. For those who may not know, civilians are allowed on base without a pass, but you must enter through the North gate off of I-25 at exit 156. Be prepared to present your ID and possibly have your vehicle searched at the gate. Also, weapons are prohibited on federal installations by non-authorized personnel, so if you usually carry a knife or a handgun while hiking, you'll need to leave them at home for this one.

Despite the relatively low mileage, the trail gains a daunting amount of elevation in that distance. From the visitor center parking lot, you can cross the street and head up the dirt road that leads to the trailhead. It begins as an easy-moderate climb, but gets progressively steeper, moving toward, and at one point crossing a small creek. About 3/4 of the way up there is a lovely meadow with aspen trees and wild flowers where the ground levels off briefly. After that, you'll begin the stretch to the top that is steeper than the trail to that point, with a bit of a boulder scramble to the summit. Once you hit the boulders, it can be difficult to discern a path, but there are a few blue markers painted on the rocks in this area to help you find your way. As several others have mentioned, the 360° view from the top is gorgeous, and totally worth it!

Overall this was a great one! I was here today on a Thursday, late morning, and I only saw a couple of other people the entire time... The trail felt very serene and never crowded. No issues with trash or dog-poo on the path. The view from the top and sense of accomplishment were fantastic! On the negative side, the trail isn't always clearly defined, and even with my satellite map from this app, I still managed to waste a bit of time and energy by getting off the trail and needing to do some creative rerouting to get back where I needed to be. Also, because of the steep grade and rocky footing on the way down, the descent is very unfriendly to the knees. Even so, it's very much worth doing, and I hope to come back and climb it again!

We did this hike/scramble as a family with kids ages 15, 13, 11. It was challenging! The loose gravel and steepness complicated things! However, it was a great hike! Lots of shade, waterfalls, amazing views from the top! It is true that the Aspen Grove indicates that you are about 1/4 of the way from the top. Make sure you have PLENTY of water and snacks if you have kids! LOL. Unlike other difficult ascents...the descent was harrowing at times...esp. with kids. Make sure you leave plenty of time for the descent!

Amazing hike and great views.

Routine for USAFA cadets but a real challenge for this 68 year-old with an artificial knee! The trail is difficult most of the way and requires some scrambling, especially on the final stretch to the top. The view makes it worthwhile but I would suggest taking this hike seriously. Coming down is harder!!

Tough climb that I thought would never end! Lots of scrambling over rocks, and loose gravel made the trek down a little hairy. Great views from the top though so give it a try if you're in decent shape and have sturdy shoes.

Definitely a challenging hike but so fun! I hiked it with husky and he loved the challenging terrain and steep incline. Coming down is definitely hard on the knees and was a challenge training my husky not to drag me down with loose gravel but a fun challenge! The views up top are gorgeous and worth the work. Nice to finally have my legs sore from a hike the next day. I appreciate the people I ran into on the trail that warned me to cross over the stream when you come to the small cairn on the trail otherwise you'll be climbing up some big rocks which I would've been carrying my dog over. The meadow about 2/3 up is a nice little break and change of scenery. Will be adding this to my favorite hikes list!

My new favorite hike! The views are breathtaking from all angles. The trail is not difficult to find.. park at the USAFA visitor center walk across the street and follow dirt until you see a trail. It is also well marked with bright arrows once the trail becomes less distinct. It is a steep hike however, NOT even remotely more difficult than the incline. The stream you follow is pleasantly beautiful with a few waterfalls. When you reach the Aspen meadow, you are very close to the top! Be prepared for a veryyyy tough decline due to loose rock & dirt. You'll leave this hike satisfied knowing you saw awesome views but even better cardio!

really good workout. views from the top are amazing. Good shoes are essential, it's very steep with areas of loose gravel. I wore some really good hiking shoes and still slipped a few times. Also be aware, even though you might feel like making it to the top is the hard part, it's still pretty strenuous going back down due to tired legs and the steepness of the trail.

Definitely a difficult trail. I mainly hike on the Appalachian mountains, and this was definitely a challenge. Went up to the top in some light rain; got hit hard with hail at the summit. Even with reduced visibility, the views where incredible. Encountered an Aspen grove on the way up. Would definitely recommend, with adequate footwear and water supply.

Relatively short but a definite ass kicker. Worth the view though. Also, lots of loose rocks and dirt on many sections which made it difficult for traction.

Beautiful views, great terrain

Great hike! It's hard but worth it. If you bring dogs, know you'll have to bring water to the top for them. The stream is alongside the trail for the first like 2/3 of the hike.

GREAT & challenging hike.

Up a road, on the trail, up the rocks, along the stream, up more rocks, through the aspen meadow, then it only gets harder...but you're almost there & it's so, so worth it!

Stick with the stream until it's obvious you need to cross...we took a very intense bouldering detour by accident.

New favorite hike.

Did this trail with my uncle last friday 6/16. Loved it because the trail itself is more challenging containing parts were hands are needed. Lowly trafficked out and gorgious view on pikes peak at the top.