Eagle Cliffs via Mason Creek, Bear Paw, Old Mill and Staunton Ranch Trail Loop is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Shaffers Crossing, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trails are well marked that I got through the trails with no problems. Incline was moderate. The aspens are beautiful and the fall colors are coming in. Sadly, I didn’t get to any overlook views due to fog and cloudiness, but they didn’t take away from the beauty of the trail. Definitely worth doing. I do recommend starting your hike/run early. I got there at 8:30 am with only three cars in the parking lot and once I got back to my car at noon, the parking was full.

Solid moderate hike both in difficulty and traffic. Trails are well marked and perfect for trail running. Beautiful views from Eagle Cliffs, worth the trek up. Definitely put this one on your list.

Good trail with nice views. We loved the variety of the hike with stream, views, meadows and woods. Short 0.8mi section of Mason Creek Trl is closed at Bear Paw Trl lengthening the trail by a couple miles. We clocked length at 9.2mi, Steeper clockwise but more shady for the last couple miles. Really, really wish CO state parks would adopt Boulder Co Open Space off leash program.

Cool hike. I’m in town from Jackson Hole for my kid’s hockey camp. Randomly picked this hike. Glad I did. Nice amount of shade. Doing this hike clockwise is the steeper way to go. Just what I was looking for.

Great hike with good overlooks. Little rocky on old mill trail but manageable. Eagle cliff overview is a short challenging climb off the main path but worth the views! This is a horse and bike trail, so be on the lookout for other traffic.

Nice trail with a few great views. There's some good diversity with hiking along a creek, along the ridge, through the forest as well as some meadows and the trail is wide packed dirt with only a few areas of loose rocks. The elevation gain is pretty gradual with only a couple steep areas.

The lookout points are marked with signs (don't stop early for a break, the views from the marked areas are pretty great!). The old Mill is pretty well destroyed, but still very interesting to look at with some vehicle remains, a large saw mill and a still standing bunk house.

It was a bit long for my 10 year old, but my 15 year old didn't have any problems with the elevation gain and length. I tracked this particular route at 9 miles.

What a lovely find. I didn’t know this area, and this was really a beautiful hike. We did it counterclockwise, which meant that we were in the uncovered sunny traverse at the bottom in the hottest part of the day. I’d probably reverse that next time and try it clockwise for more shade in the final miles, at least if it is a warm day.

Some mountain bikers, but not as many as Jeffco open space, and also the trail is often wide enough that passage is easy.

I’d rate this moderate, not hard. Totally non-technical and straightforward to navigate, the hiking requires decent base fitness but no special skills.

Wednesday, October 04, 2017