Dunes Trail from Pinyon Flats

Dunes Trail from Pinyon Flats is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mosca, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Denver, Colorado Springs, or Pueblo, the most common route is south on I-25 to Walsenburg, west on US 160, north on State Highway 150. For a more mountainous drive from Denver (same mileage as the I-25 route), you may also take US 285 south, then State Highway 17 south, then County Lane 6 east from Mosca. From Albuquerque, drive north on I-25 to Santa Fe, then north on US 285 to Alamosa. From Alamosa, take either U.S. Highway 160 east and State Highway 150 north, or State Highway 17 north and County Lane 6 east from Mosca.

Beautiful views during the setting sun. Makes for great dynamic contrast

Great Park!

I didn't finish this hike all the way to the top of High Dune as we'd rented sand sleds from the Oasis store down the road and decided to run them on the lower slopes, but I don't regret not making it to the top. The sand gets to 140 degrees F in August and climbing up the dunes can be absolutely brutal. The views from the top sound great, but sand dune hiking can be more mentally challenging than it's worth (IMHO) and I would highly recommend sand sledding if you want a more fun experience in the dunes!

a truly amazing view from the top!

Ooops! The review below was for High Dunes Trail!

Amazing! Incredible! You can't comprehend how vast these Dunes are until you are actually there. Strenuous hike that took us about 2 hours round trip but well worth it, not only when you reach the top but also along the way when your in the middle of them. Definitely best to go earlier in the morning by 9:00 at the latest. This is a holiday weekend and on our way out we counted 175 cars in line to get in the park at 11:00 am!

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Friday, September 23, 2016

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

One of my favorite places to hike. I've hiked along the dunes, Medano creek and in the forested areas to the East. The dunes were created due to high wind, so take that into consideration while packing your gear. This National Park is a gem and a must-visit location. Visit the interactive Ranger station and bring your camera for sunset shadows on the dunes.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

good: shallow river, giant dunes, camping, clean bathrooms.

bad: wind + sand will exfoliate you like a sand blaster , kids/elderly even worse. if you see the sand pick up in a cloud find cover fast.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

We hiked the dunes when there were 27 mph winds and it was pretty unpleasant most of the way. Once we got to the top, it was very rewarding, and it's really fun running down the dunes.

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

I hiked to High Dune on December 31st. The sun came out briefly before snow flurries followed me the rest of the hike. It is truly a unique place, I uploaded pictures of the hike. I highly recommend it, great fun and stunning views.

off road driving
Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Friday, September 11, 2015

Beautiful and always a fun day!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

We go at least once or twice a year. We love playing in the water, but I don't go unless there is water. You can check the creek conditions at the Sand Dunes web site.

we have done the junior ranger program and it can be really cool depending on who the ranger is when helping them.

If you hike to the top, like others have said, bring sunscreen, lightweight clothes, and shoes that can withstand heat and sand (no flip flops unless you plan on sitting down a lot to cool off your feet).

There is a camp ground there, but I haven't camped there since I was a kid. I remember lots of cactus-not very child friendly- maybe things have changed.

Friday, July 10, 2015

Amazing to see the sand dunes.

Saturday, June 20, 2015