Doudy Draw and Spring Brook Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(183)
Roosevelt National Forest

Doudy Draw and Spring Brook Loop Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 587 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail system not much water there is a ditch that has water in it in the spring. rocky in spots some climbs not much Doudy Draw Trail (1.7 mile + 0.5 mile to intersection with Community Ditch Trail) meanders southward along the draw to the junction with the Spring Brook Loop Trail. Spring Brook Loop heads west from Doudy Draw toward the Eldorado Mountain Habitat Conservation Area (HCA). The Goshawk Ridge Trail travels through the HCA; an off-trail permit is required for off-trail travel in the HCA. After the Spring Brook Loop junction, Doudy Draw crosses the creek and heads east up the slope to the Flatirons Vista Trails. Here you will find open stands of ponderosa pine on a savannah ecosystem. Flatirons Vista North or South will lead to the Flatirons Vista Trailhead on Highway 93. Community Ditch Trail (1.7 mile west of Hwy 93 and 1.9 mile east of Hwy 93) heads along the community ditch from the Doudy Draw Trail approximately 0.2 miles south of the picnic area. This trail can be taken to the Marshall Mesa Trailhead or to trails leading to Greenbelt Plateau Trailhead, both east of Highway 93.

5 minutes ago

Great trail with a mix of open and shade; most people were wearing masks and respectful of space when passing. They have a recommendation to do the Springbrook Loop counterclockwise to help with congestion/passing (and most people saw the sign and followed it). FYI - Dogs are only allowed on 1/2 the loop.

I would not recommend this trail to beginner mountain bikers, if you consider yourself intermediate than you could probably handle it. This was my first time doing something like this so it was pretty difficult for me but still a lot fun.

Awesome trail! A little sketchy with the rocks but I’m a major rookie on a bike - super fun :and happy I didn’t eat it Hahahaha

really enjoyed this trail. huge, open space with beautiful views all around. just before hitting the halfway point, you enter a forest which you spend a small bit of time walking through. i imagine this would be super beautiful during the fall, when the trees are full; they were all dead when i went today, 5/19/2020. it wasn’t too crowded on this tuesday. relaxing and not overly strenuous, i completed the trail in just under 2 hours, while walking at a slow-average pace. there are bikers, and the trail is slightly thin at certain points, so just be mindful of that. i’d definitely recommend this hike though. i’ll be back!

What a cute trail! So glad that I took it this am. Beautiful views and gentle incline. Rocky though and a bit rutted out from bikes - otherwise super!

Nice trail. Good for an easy snow shoe trip with my dingo. Mostly packed snow, but glad I had my snow shoes.

icy

icy

The view of the Flatirons by North Spring Brook Trail is spectacular!

All in all it's a nice trail, but I should have read the reviews more thoroughly before we went. It really sucked finding out after we're already on the trail that our dog wasn't allowed on half the trail. So, no loop was available. We kept going and ended up just walking the road back. Pretty disappointing to have to pay to park too.

Hello! I already did a review of this, but I wanted to come back to it one year later. This hike is AWESOME! So fresh and meadow-y. And you just feel happy after. I don't feel exhausted... and there are many options to do other connecting trails! Here are the deets: BATHROOMS: Yes, a bit from the trail start PARKING: @ 8:30am on a Sunday today (9/22) it was not full. We were shocked! Upon leaving at 10:45, there was still parking! Dead summer... this is different story. BIKES: TONS OF BIKES!! Biker people, you are supposed to yield to hikers. Even if we give right away, it is always nice to act like you may pull over. LOL. This is the only part that I dislike on this hike. The hike itself is lovely! The trail is single file in some areas. So it is hard to pull over when a bike is whizzing by you. Please do try this hike. It is pleasant and refreshing and not too strenuous. Besides the bikers, this is a great hike. A nice mix of meadow and forest! There isn't much shade at the beginning though, but that is okay in a chilly fall atmosphere!

Great trail close to home that I clocked at 5.3 miles. Not too crowded and great views of the flatirons and front range. Some shade along the spring loop section, really easy and enjoyable hike if you’re not looking to drive too far from boulder.

This was a quality trail with little shade and a lot of mountain bikers. Most were courteous. Definitely an easy hike but better suited for mountain biking.

Great trail but lots of rocks and narrow trail to get over when someone is going by. Busy day would not recommend going on a weekend.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Hello! Oh man.. where are my dog people to help a sistah out? This trail in its entirety is NOT DOG FRIENDLY. I hope All Trails can change to "some parts of the trail are accessible for dogs." I only saw one review with any robust mentioning of dogs and what you can't access here. The Spring Loop goes north and south, and the south part of the loop does not allow dogs. There are several places in this area that do not allow dogs. I heard from another hiker that this was due to bears...but not sure what would stop them from moving to the other side. My friend and I had to do another part of the trail.. still pretty, but was an out and back instead of a loop. That was disappointing. The sign on the trailhead says no dogs on the south side and on one other part, but All Trails made me think we could do a loop by the above description. Not true! It says you will get fined, and yes, there were rangers out. Here are the good parts: BATHROOM: YES PARKING LOT: YES FEE: $5 for non Boulder County residents TERRAIN: Pretty smooth... a few gravelly areas, but mainly nice! VIEWS: The lush fall colors were in effect. Pretty meadows and some forest areas. Here are the bad parts (sorry bikers..) BIKING: Tons of bikers! Beware. I wouldn't wear headphones. NO. Too many trail runners and bikers. At one point coming back down, we got stuck in a spot because there were so many bikers/runners that we tried to pull over for. Most were nice, but they DID NOT use bells of any sort to warn people. I was surprised I couldn't hear the bikers behind me until they were right up on us. SINGLE FILE TRAIL IN SOME AREAS: some areas are wide open and so nice, but some parts are single file and hard to get off to the side for the fast-rushing bikers. OVERALL: I was much happier as we moved on into the mountain...less peeps and just gorgeous fall colors. There is hardly any shade, so it is more of a fall hike. Tons of people and the issue with no dogs on the south made for a different hike than expected. I liked the North Loop part very much and liked down to the Fowler part of the trail. Very well marked. Beware though- lots of people and lots of bikers make for a bit of a "look behind your shoulder all the time" effect.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Because it’s one of the few mountain bike trails, I avoid it and let them have it to themselves. Much better hiking trails about a mile into the Eldorado canyon.

Fri Sep 07 2018

One of my favorite trails for trail running. Not super difficult but a nice workout. Pretty views!

Sat Jul 21 2018

A great, easy trail with a gradual, gentle elevation gain and beautiful views. It is a multi-use trail shared with mountain bikers and horseback riders. If you are a hiker or walker, be prepared to yield for them. At times the trail is narrow, so passing one another can get tricky. I'd recommend forgoing the headphones so that you can hear bikers coming behind you. The day I went everyone was polite and respectful while navigating the shared trail.