Doctor Park

Doctor Park is a 19.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Crested Butte, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Doctors Park offers fantastic downhill on the Gunnison Spur of the Colorado Trail. Climb up the Jeep road and enjoy the downhill. This can also be done as an out and back if you are hiking.

This trail is accurately rated “hard.” You start with a 14ish mile, steeeeeep in places, climb up a gravel to dirt road. It is hard. As you ascend, the views are absolutely stunning. I recommend taking your shoes off to cross the pretty little creek! By the time we got to the trail, we were totally exhausted. I am a strong intermediate rider and I was ready to throw my bike off the mountain! The 5 mile DH has sections that are fast, fun, and flowy and more amazing views. There are also sections that are the hardest and most technical that I know of. A lot of the DH was treacherous and very hard! Long travel bikes and years of experience are recommended. Overall, this trail could possibly be fun if there were a shuttle up.

Wow, interesting trail. It is a 14 mile climb. All on some form of road. I could kill this thing on my gravel bike but riding an 140 mm travel bike up the road for that long is quite exhausting. Not physically as much as mentally. It is beautiful, it has great views. Once the downhill starts it’s a little tricky to find your way at first but not a big deal. Then you come to the middle section of the downhill which is incredibly smooth and ultra fast. You can jump from turn to turn. It is absolute just pure fun. Probably one of my favorite sections of trail. Then you come to the third part. It is super technical. I do not advise it for anybody that is not truly and accomplished bike rider. I did it with no problem on my longer travel bike but my wife had quite a bit of issues on her hundred millimeter bike. I don’t think that the trail is really worth the climb. It would be a really fun shuttle trail. With that said, most rides in Colorado are this way so take that for what you will.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Brutally steep first mile, but evens out thereafter. Great views throughout, and nice change between forest and open areas.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017