Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Discovery Challenger Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Winter Park, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 131 feet Route Type: Loop

High country trails with potential for more. A nice easy loop for a quick walk, snowshoe or cross-country skiing venture. There is a picnic area on the west side of the loop and a longer trail past the Jim Creek dam. An ornery moose has been seen in the area, so proceed with caution around him.

05/23/20 This was a great first trail to get acclimated to the elevation. Definitely for all ages! Snow piles in some places. Little muddy puddles in others. Kids of all ages were on the trail. Several dogs on leashes. Great first walk/hike-we look forward to doing this trail again!

nice easy trail. could see some nice fall colors on the hill. lots of trees and shade. did 10/5 on a Saturday. arrived at 10 am. still plenty of space to park. bathrooms closed for the season.

Nice quick and easy hike. Would be a good trail for running.

Perfect hike for our 4 year old. Did it under an hour.

This was a nice easy trail for my 2 daughters who are 6 and 8. Water is up and running which they really enjoyed seeing. They took advantage of a couple of the benches along the way. All they wanted to do the next day was go back to it, but we went into the park where we had better chance of seeing wildlife.

Really pretty, there is a decent amount of shade! It wasn't too crowded, there were a lot of dogs though so be aware of that. The trail markers are a little difficult to follow, and there were no make at the start so it could be easy to get lost.

Fri May 24 2019

Fun short hike. Still snow packed in areas so we had to walk off trail a bit. The camping area is growing well and will be beautiful in a few years.

closed
Fri May 10 2019

Still too snowy for this trail! Maybe try in June.

Tue Sep 18 2018

Was great to take out young daughter in and her hike.

Tue Aug 07 2018

Quick and easy hike with the kids (ages 13 to 3). We did not see a ton of wildlife but a good trip to to break us into hiking after acclimating to the elevation.

Mon Aug 06 2018

Nice, definitely an easy walk. Not a lot to see, but pleasant and relaxing. Our biggest problem was finding the trail head. It is to the right of the sign as you enter. We kept going past the sign the first time and ended up on a not as easy hike that led to nowhere!

Mon Jul 23 2018

Quick and easy. We saw some animals.

Mon Jul 16 2018

Quick and easy hike.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Great for kids

Wed Oct 25 2017

Great trail for kids. Took my 4 year old on this hike and he had no problem at all.

Wed Sep 20 2017

Great easy hike for a family with younger kids. We took our 4 year old and 7 month old (in carrier) and enjoyed an easy first hike for the toddler. Parts are board walks and crosses a small stream several times. Several benches to sit down if needed along the way.

Wed Mar 22 2017

I took this trail for my first snowshoeing adventure. It was easy and had wonderful views!

Tue Aug 16 2016

Simple hike with little ponds. Nice picnic area along stream

Tue Jul 19 2016

great easy hike for a family

Sun Jul 17 2016

I hiked this trail by accident. I intended to do Jim Creek trail (which I did get to and do, that same day). This trail is flat and easy with pretty views. You'll walk by campsites at times, which some may not like. Discovery trail hooks up with Challenger trail at a couple of points, and you will see/hear the creek a little, which is nice. I was walking with my elderly Jack Russell Terrier, so it was great for him. There are also a number of wooden benches along the way, if you like to sit and snack, take in the view, or need rests. Pleasant, short, flat, easy.

Sun May 29 2016

Nice easy trail through the woods along the river. Very pretty; short and sweet.

Sat Jun 20 2015

Easy dog-friendly trail; sparsely populated and mixed shade. Nice streams throughout.

Thu Aug 16 2012

This trail is just OK. It's nice for older people or those not in great shape because it's short and flat. I found it quite boring. I used it as an adjunct to another trail. I took my dogs and it was fine for them.