Dillon Reservoir Loop is a 18.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 18.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,092 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Scenic 18.8 mile bike route around Dillon Reservoir off I70 @ Silverthorne & Frisco Exits. It uses a combination of Swan Mountain, Snake Reservoir, Dillon Dam and Friso recreational paths. Track starts at Swan Mountain Rd Trailhead just W of Highway 9. Steady 6% grade up Swan Mountain marked bike lane to top. Trail then becomes an asphalt dedicated bike path making it's way down the mountain to the East. At US 6, it continues N on the Snake River Recpath to a small scenic view parking area with an Eagle Sculpture. Trail then follows an offstreet path along N side of reservoir to Marina entrance/parking. On street route continues W to end of Marina parking area. The Dillon Dam Recpath heads W along dam and then through several camping areas before entering Frisco. The Frisco Recpath skirts the W side of the reservoir past the Penninsula Recreation area where it crosses Highway 9 to join with the Blue River Bike path eastward on the way back to trailhead.

Parking: get off at the Frisco exit and go south through Frisco on hwy 9. Pass through town and turn left on swan lake mountain road and another immediate left onto the first left you can. Trailhead parking is down the dusty road. If you start to go up the mountain you’ve gone too far. There was one other car there @ 8am - ample parking available. Path: we went counterclockwise from this spot and would highly recommend it. The hill is gnarly but once it’s done it’s the only really difficult part of the entire loop. Get it over and done with and you’ll find yourself with many downhill treats along the way. The path is brilliant and extremely well kept, paved, and easy to follow. 90% no shade but are hiking through pine forests and it’s more beautiful. Considered lightly trafficked from 9:00am- 11:30am. Path took us about 2.5 hours and we stopped a bit halfway to break. We used one road bike and one commuter bike and both were just fine. Wouldn’t say this loop is for small kids or super beginners but anyone else could do it - would rate this loop 6 stars if I could!!

I did the loop with my 11 year old son. It took us 2.5 hours and it was really a bit tough at some of the inclines. We went clockwise starting at the Dillion amphitheater. Overall great ride though.....we will sleep well tonight!

Awesome trail but be warned part of it is still under snow! Had to take Swan Mountain Road up and over.

we rode from Frisco to Breckenridge. thought it was such a fun ride instead of doing the loop.

As others have said clockwise is the way to go. The steep downhill section is less worrisome than some have posted. The speed limit is 35mph, so if you’re doing that, cars won’t try to pass you. Police will give tickets if you go faster.

I'm a beginning weekend cyclist and this loop was a lot of fun! Other posts had commented about traffic, so I started biking around 8am and took the counterclockwise loop. At that time, there was very little road or pedestrian traffic but a bit chilly. Fun downhill sections and great views, would recommend!

I'm strictly a recreational cyclist - I like biking for relaxation and fun. Prefer to bike on paved bike paths. Great path around the lake for biking. Challenging biking to Sapphire Point. And it's a little scary biking down to Hwy 9 with road traffic. Beautiful views.

For the casual weekend bike rider this will be a challenge if you do the loop. I would actually recommend going counter clockwise if you do the loop. We had to walk the bikes up about the last 40% of the huge hill. I’d rather do that then scream down the hill at 50 mph on a road with cars. The ideal route for the family not looking to train for an alps bike race would be to avoid the elevation part and do an Out and Back. You could start at Frisco marina and go counter clockwise around the lake , through Dillon and go another 5 miles until you start climbing the back side of the mountain.

So my 25 year old, very fit son picked this trail today. I may pick next time! This was a terrific trail, but do not let anyone tell you it is flat or easy. (Like the people in the bike rental shop did!) It was a major workout. I am 57 and in fairly good shape, but more of a weekend, casual biker. Clockwise is definitely the way to go because there is a very steep and quite long part at the end of the loop if you started in Frisco. I was definitely terrified during that part bc the paved bike trail ends, and you are forced to ride on a pretty busy road while flying downhill. The rest of the trail has gorgeous views but is not for the casual biker. There are some serious uphill climbs along the way. Take plenty of water and eat your protein before you undertake this one.

A great loop to do on your bike. Unfortunately we had rented cruisers which definitely made it more challenging, but it was nonetheless a great experience. I would recommend going clockwise so you're going down the one large hill with the traffic (you have to share the road here) instead of going up. Wear sunscreen as there is limited shade. I did this with my BIL who just moved here, and it was definitely a challenge for him going up the one main hill/mountain, but he managed it with stops along the way. Very doable for most people! The scenes along the way are amazing, so take time to stop and soak it all in. There are also towns along the way to stop in to grab a drink or some food. We started and ended in Dillon and rented our bikes from there. Comfy seats, great service, and a knowledgeable and friendly owner (Lake Dillon Bike Rental).

Wow, we had a great time on this trail. Went from Vail Pass trail stopped for ice cream in Frisco and on to Dillion lake loop. So fun! Rented bikes from Breezes at Antlers for the day and hit the paved trails. Eight of us and we had a blast!

Great paved path all the way around. A little confusion on where it goes just north of Frisco (several intersections with minimal signage) but otherwise well marked. My 8 and 10 year old sons did it with me. They got tired but we’re champs! Being plenty of water, we didn’t find any water stations in the path. Stopped for lunch in Frisco and refilled there. We definitely liked going the clockwise way around the lake better when starting in Dillon. You hit the steep uphill stuff sooner when not exhausted yet. Then cruise down to Summit HS.

recorded Dillon Reservoir Loop

Niice ride! EAST Frisco foDillon to South bit up to early switchbacks Sapphire and back to Frisco.

For anyone who isn’t a more advanced road biker, I would highly recommend going clockwise around the loop so you are going down hill on the (busier) road vs climbing. We just did this route by chance, and I’m so happy it worked out the way it did. I would not want to make that climb with cars rushing past me. The hardest part of the 20 mile loop starts outside of Keystone and has a gradual but consistent climb for about 2 miles. It’s definitely doable but will get the legs burning and the heart pumping. The entire loop was beautiful and highly recommended.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Great ride with beautiful views! Went clockwise on trail which has you coming down the long hill on highway instead of going up. Free parking at Marina or a trailhead behind Holiday Inn.

Sat Aug 18 2018

well maintained, lovely, pretty mellow -- kids may need to walk parts

Mon Aug 06 2018

This was such a fun and gorgeous trail. We will definitely look forward to coming back.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Beautiful

Thu Jul 05 2018

Fantastic bike ride, challenging at times, beautiful scenery and worth the exercise!!! Highly recommended!!!

Mon Jul 02 2018

So fun! Road at beginning had a nice amount of traffic. Will ride again!

Mon Jul 03 2017

This is a beautiful ride. There are some big hills that require some endurance. Beginners beware and be prepared to walk your bike up the hills.

Sun May 07 2017

It's an easy ride with only one major climb. There is a paved path the entire ride and a constant view of the lake and mountains in the background. Great if you want an easy Sunday afternoon ride.

Sun May 07 2017

I'd say it's more difficult than moderate if you're used to city biking (regardless of distance). A challenge for sure!

Wed Sep 21 2016

Loved the view of the lake!

Fri Aug 12 2016

Unbelievable views! Absolutely gorgeous. Would not recommend for kids or even young teens though, as two miles is steep grade up the side of a highway (Swan Mountain Road).

Fri Aug 05 2016

Great trail. Lots of fun. Doable for beginners as well. Took my 11 and 8 year olds and they had a blast. My youngest has to walk on some of the climbs.

Wed Jan 08 2014

Enjoyable bike ride. Great views of Dillion Reservoir and surrounding mountains. A around-the-lake loop.