Dillon Pinnacles Trail is a 6.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gunnison, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 km Elevation Gain: 147 m Route Type: Out & Back

The trail was very windy the day we went with the wind being pretty chilly coming up off the water but the hike was wonderful! Our six year old made it the whole way without complaining - even better!

Really nice trial and easy hike. Beautiful.

Great for a smooth hike before lunch. Very well maintained trail and lots of opportunities for pictures.

We are in our late 50s and I have RA. I was looking for an “easy” hike after falling hard on a difficult hike 2 weeks ago. This was a nice hike with a gentle incline. We started at 8:30 am and got back at 10:45 am with lots of stops for pictures. It is picturesque throughout the whole hike. At the end there is a loop. At the midsection of the loop is a great spot for pictures both of Blue Mesa and of Dillon Pinnacles. We had zero trouble with bugs.

As novice first time hikers, my wife and I really enjoyed this trail! We arrived around 08:30 and were the only ones on the trail. After following the Blue Mesa for a while you start to cut back toward Dillon Pinnacles. You have an amazing view of the pinnacles and the Blue Mesa throughout the majority of the hike. At the top plateau you have views of both Dillon Pinnacles and the Blue Mesa Reservoir along with the snow capped 14ers off in the distance to the south. Overall hike took us about two hours with some time at the top for pictures and to soak in the view! Would definitely recommend this trail for someone looking for an easier hike or is new to hiking. Some areas where the ascent may leave you a little winded, especially if not used to the altitude.

My phone tells me this is a 4-mile hike, and as the previous reviewer says, I would consider it moderate. The hike up to the overlook and the loop is mostly uphill. The trail well maintained with a few shady spots along the way to stop and rest if you need to. Beautiful geologic formations, and a nice view across Blue Mesa Reservoir and beyond toward the San Juan Mountains make it worth the trip. Wildflowers early to mid-summer and pretty in fall with all the oak trees. This hike can be hot if you go midday. Take plenty of water.

Tried this trail yesterday, July 11, 2019. Beautiful hike and some shaded stops but it is definitely 3.7 to 4 miles and I would consider it moderate as the Curecanti Nationsl Rec Area does due to rocky downhills and several sections of quick elevation changes. A lit of local literature in Gunnison said two miles round trip but it is not. Beautiful wildflowers and views of reservoir and of course the Dillon Pinnacles!!!

My wife and I are beginner hikers. We completed the trail this morning and loved it. Honestly, it’s not an easy hike for newbies, but challenging enough! You can do it! We saw a band of mountain goats, numerous common wildlife and even a couple carcass. Weather was perfect, trail was well groomed, and saw half a dozen people the entire time. Hope you enjoy the views as much as we did.

We arrived around 830 on a saturday, and only came across one other group while hiking. Lots of wildflowers, and the views are great. Very exposed trail so I'd recommend hiking early. Easy-Moderate trail. It starts out flat, then gets into some uphill areas but nothing too hard or long. Enjoyable little hike!

Nice walk. Only gets hilly in a couple of places. Go in the morning or afternoon so the shadows on the pinnacles make them stand out more clearly.

Nice easy trail with great views.

Not much shade. Great trail for scenery.

Thu May 30 2019

very interesting geology and a good hike.

Mon May 27 2019

Nice easy trail with beautiful views of the reservoir. Lots of wildflowers this time of year.

Mon May 13 2019

Ended up taking the trail up forward, instead of taking a left at the pinnacles. Always wondered where the trail led. Took the trail up about 3 miles, thinking it would take me to the top. Instead, the trail stopped abruptly. I eventually found a beaten trail leading somewhat to a summit, giving a gorgeous view of the reservoir and the curecanti mountains/cliffs. I then thought the trail on the other side would lead down, making a loop. I was wrong. Traveled down half the hillside and it stopped. Had to backtrack a good mile upwards. Would recommend not taking the trail straight ahead, as it doesn’t take you anywhere. Strenuous hike if you take this route.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Sparkles of sunlight on Blue Mesa reservoir as viewed from high above, remarkably purple rock dotted with orange and lime tinted lichen, a scattering of ponderosas and firs, and a gentle breeze. Little shade along the way but trail is free of snow and not muddy at all. The views of surrounding mountains and the pinnacles made this a spectacular day with my dog Lily.

Sun Dec 09 2018

Really enjoyed this hike, new views of the Blue Mesa.

Sun Nov 18 2018

Easy trail with great payoff taking you up near the base of the pinnacles. Hardly anyone on the trail in mid-November. This will definitely be a place I take visiting friends and family who are not used to higher elevation.

Mon Oct 29 2018

Very scenic hike with great views of the lakes, pinnacles and snow capped mountains (from the top). Easy to find trailhead right off Hwy 50.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Nice family hike. I would recommend starting early there is not a lot of shade.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Really nice hike with great views and gets you up close to the amazing pinnacles. Couple of benches along the way, if you're so inclined.

Mon May 21 2018

Beautiful. Easy out and back trail. The end of the trail offer great view. No sheds though. Went out there this morning (around 6.30am on May20, 2018) so it felt nice when the sun was out. I could see it being super hot in mid-summer days. there were some muddy spots in the beginning but they dried out pretty quickly.

Sun Mar 04 2018

Super easy hike. Bring the dogs or kids, and a lunch to eat at the end. Great early season hike, just be prepared for super muddy spots on the trail!

Sun Nov 19 2017

If you get the chance you should absolutely hike this trail!!

Tue Sep 12 2017

It's so peaceful and very diverse.

Wed Jul 19 2017

We did this trail at night. Started around 8pm. Took small kids and dogs with us. Fun trail and a great view. Lots of ambient light so we barely needed our lights.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Very Nice. Easy and quiet. Some great vistas for photography.