Diamond Lake Trail

Diamond Lake Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Eldora: Travel west on CR #130 and then northwest on CR #111 to the 4th of July/Buckingham Park Campground. Hiking alternatives include Diamond Lake Trail from Hessie, Arapaho Glacier Trail from Rainbow Lakes, and Arapaho Pass from Monarch Lake (Hot Sulfur District).

18 seconds ago

We went on June 24 2017 and there is still a lot of snow. Be advised this trail is not marked clearly and is extremely easy to get lost and turned around. We and many other people on the trail got turned around multiple times, it is not for new hikers. The first part of the trail is the 4th of July trail and it is clear and open, easily marked. When it splits it becomes confusing. There are also a lot of downed trees and obstacles you have to get over and around. Wear hiking boots or at least water proof shoes if you are going to do this hike. We will come back at the end of the season and do it again with out the snow. It takes over 5 hours with the snow drifts and obstacles, pack accordingly.

Great hike. Lost the trail a couple times but we made it to the lake

We couldn't make it to the lake, but the trail was worth it anyway. Waterproof shoes are highly recommended. After crossing the bridge with the siderail, everything was covered in snow. I wouldn't try that part of the trail right now even with GPS unless you are an expert. Can't wait to go back in a few weeks and try it again!

Great trail. But should have heeded the posts more closely. Couldn't make it to the lake. Still too much snow and lots of post holing towards me the end. Perhaps this is why it's called "4th of July Trail."

In June, we didn't realize you would still need snow boots couldn't make it a quarter of a mile in. But it's beautiful here.

Went up alone today. Very very packed with snow, I'd say 85%. Got past the bridge with the rushing creek underneath a ways but without snowshoes it was dumb to keep going in sneakers. Sad I missed the lake but will be back!

Road up to 4th of July trailhead was open 5/28. Lots of snow on the trail and no one up there could find the trail to Diamond Lake though. We did some nice snowshoeing off the trail a ways and it was beautiful.

Awesome views m

Does anyone know if this trail is open as of today 5/24/17?

I too attempted to reach the 4th of July trailhead yesterday but was stopped by the road closure. You can still park lower (4 miles down from the 4th of July trailhead) and hike Lost Lake, or Devil's Thumb. We did Lost Lake. Plenty of snow today which was fun, but slippery up and down hill. We didn't bring spikes. I imagine some will melt over the next 2 days with this warm weather. I'll be back in a month maybe in hopes I can park up closer to 4th of July!

Attempted to reach the 4th of July trailhead yesterday. Came across Subarus stranded in the snowy road 4 miles from the TH. We had to turn around, park below and hike to Lost Lake instead. I would only attempt with a high clearance vehicle with snow tires or chains at this point. AWD + AT tires still isn't going to cut it at this moment.

Beautiful! Loved every bit of it.

It's closed. Unless you wanna hike 5 extra miles to get there.