Devils Thumb Pass and King Lake Trail

Devils Thumb Pass and King Lake Trail is a 15.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

Directions from Eldora: Travel west to the Hessie Townsite on CR #130

Beautiful! Went counterclockwise, I’m out of shape...

Got to the trailhead around 7:30 on a Saturday and there were only a few spots left. Did the trail counterclockwise (Devil Thumb lake first) which led to a pretty challenging climb up the pass (carried 35lb packs). Pretty crowded up to that point, but then it dropped off. We camped right by King Lake which was beautiful but really exposed. Fortunately there was no lightening but we had to guy out every line on the tent due to high winds - kinda sketchy. Beautiful hike with plenty to explore off the trail too.

My first real Colorado hike. So beautiful and everything I hoped for and more. I recommend going clockwise (King's lake first), as it's a more gradual ascent compared to the other way.

Started kind of early in the morning, so took the 9AM shuttle from Nederland. Turned out to be a great idea as many people who parked on the side of the road were already hiking at least a mile if not more just to reach the shuttle bus drop off point.
Opted to run the loop in a counterclockwise direction. I think that is a much better way to go through this route. One reason is the morning sun provided great views along Devils Thumb Trail. Second: King Lake Trail drops below tree line pretty quickly so a potential afternoon thunderstorm would find you in the protection of a dense forest.
Otherwise not many people on the trails: every few minutes a group.
Fortunately I was able to complete the loop before the thunderstorm, that just moved in as the shuttle bus took be back to the RTD parking lot in Nederland.
Sunny day and an awesome experience. The views were spectacular!!! I can only recommend this loop.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've done! Get there early if you want a good parking spot. Passed by three beautiful lakes, waterfalls and met some fun people along the way! Highly recommend for an endurance hike!

Awesome!
probably the best hike in Boulder county

Amazing hike!! Awe-inspiring views and ever-changing scenery. I have done a lot of hiking in CO and this is possibly my favorite.. Most go CW; this lends itself to a milder incline. Trails are very well marked. Little bugs, virtually no snow. Arrive earlier than you think; it was already slim pickings at 6:45am this morning.

We camped this loop over weekend and took backpacks. Nice trip, beautiful scenery, lovely flowers and not too busy. First night in Devil's thumb lake, second at Kings lake. I might reverse that if I had to do it again, because Devil's Thumb pass was a bitch much with a full pack at altitude and divide, but still highly recommended!

Wonderful, beautiful hike. However, with the loop we hit a glacier with no way around it (July 2017). We had to slide down it, but I would not recommend as it was very unsafe. I am not sure how everyone else is doing this loop as I didn't see any tracks on this glacier. I would love to come back for fishing.

Stunningly beautiful hike!! Colorado hiking at its best. Get there early or take the shuttle from Nederland to the trailhead.

It was a nice hike and I camped out that evening. I did see there is no camping with out a permit June 1st through September 15 also no fires are allowed east of the continental decide. Just a heads up. Also the trail was very busy